Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

CC: RuPaul is the Hitler, false prophet, anti-Christ of the LGBTQ community

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

Drag stands for "Dressed As Girl". It doesn't seem fair, at least to me, that a girl can compete with men on who has the best drag. It's like letting a man play on a girls basketball team.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, JanStan said:

Serious question. Why do trans women want to enter a drag competition? If they consider themselves women why enter a competition where the premise is that men dress up as women? I understand that it is only one type of drag and it could also be women that dress as men etc but I don’t connect trans women (who live as women), to men who dress up as women but don’t consider themselves as such. Excuse my ignorance but I would love to understand it. 

I think this is the whole point and context of what RuPaul is trying to say. Written statements can totally be misleading, and people today are really entitled and hostile about many opinions...

I really don’t think this makes RuPaul transphobic, it’s a complete incongruity after everything he’s done. It’s like shooting yourself on the foot.

Sorry @JanStan sis, I don’t think I can answer this question but for example Gia Gunn is “a drag performer who discovered her identity through the art of drag”, to quote her.

StuckInMyMind
25 minutes ago, PopTwo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/mar/03/rupaul-drag-race-big-f-you-to-male-dominated-culture

Hide contents

So how can a transgender woman be a drag queen? “Mmmm. It’s an interesting area. Peppermint didn’t get breast implants until after she left our show; she was identifying as a woman, but she hadn’t really transitioned.” Would he accept a contestant who had? He hesitates again. “Probably not. You can identify as a woman and say you’re transitioning, but it changes once you start changing your body. It takes on a different thing; it changes the whole concept of what we’re doing. We’ve had some girls who’ve had some injections in the face and maybe a little bit in the butt here and there, but they haven’t transitioned.”

Ru has been called out for having transphobic or misogynistic views towards drag over the last few years and there is no openly trans queens on the new season.

I do understand what Ru is saying though because Drag is dressing up as the opposite sex, there’s a very big difference between being trans and being a drag queen, as there is a big difference between being a woman and being drag queen. So I do get it

LaLuna

Damn Carmen, take a chill pill girl :excuseu:

Ru is not perfect, far from it, but to compare him to Hitler and calling him the anti-Christ... girl :neyde:

15 minutes ago, JanStan said:

Serious question. Why do trans women want to enter a drag competition? If they consider themselves women why enter a competition where the premise is that men dress up as women? I understand that it is only one type of drag and it could also be women that dress as men etc but I don’t connect trans women (who live as women), to men who dress up as women but don’t consider themselves as such. Excuse my ignorance but I would love to understand it. 

I see  where you're coming from. But drag also encompasses bioqueens, which means cis-women who do drag. It's true that in the beginning, drag was only men dressed up as women (it's actually why it's called drag for  Dressed As a Girl) but things have changed and drag has become more broad. So technically, there's no reason why trans women can't do drag. However if I recall Carmen had not yet transitioned when she was on Drag Race.

Didymus
28 minutes ago, JanStan said:

It all comes down to how you define drag. RuPaul's Drag Race has created this impression that drag is indeed men dressing up as women but this is not the only definition out there. As one queen on Drag Race has put it: drag is more about "exaggerating" gender and many people interpret drag culture as a safe haven for all kinds of "non-standard" gender expression, whether male, female or what not.

As Imp Queen (a trans drag queen) has famously pointed out: it was actually Drag Race that pushed this idea that drag queens are men out of drag too instead of solely their aesthetic characters (which can be of any gender). This may have caused a lot more damage than is usually assumed.

I personally understand RuPaul's reticence on this subject but I also think it's important to promote the idea that drag is about blurring the very question of gender identity in an aesthetic artform more than anything. I'd hate to see such a vibrant artform get reduced to "men dress up as women and we get to judge them on how fierce they are". Which is kind of what's happening with the success of Drag Race.

2 minutes ago, LaLuna said:

However if I recall Carmen had not yet transitioned when she was on Drag Race.

Carmen was going to transition but went on the show beforehand. Sonique and Gia are both queens who paused their transition to get on the show. In audition tapes, it is now required that the queens present in "boy drag" to answer questions.

SashaxBzns
17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Drag stands for "Dressed As Girl". It doesn't seem fair, at least to me, that a girl can compete with men on who has the best drag. It's like letting a man play on a girls basketball team.  

u clearly don't understand what drag is nor understand it's history and context in culture but ok

Borisapillar

I adore RuPaul and don’t think she is transphobic in the least. She has done more for the queer community than pretty much anyone.

gypsy101
43 minutes ago, PoshLife said:

Nobody is Hitler but Hitler.

Full-stop.

except for maybe like... Genghis Kahn

7 minutes ago, Spooky Needles said:

u clearly don't understand what drag is nor understand it's history and context in culture but ok

Damn, you girls sure do get feisty! Let's work on being respectful in a debate and/or while listening to someone else voice their opinion. We're talking about drag in relation to a game show..... where contestants compete to win $100k, not the entirety of it's history. :awkney:

Jeez, can people stop comparing everyone they dont like to Hitler? The dude wasnt even the worst genocide of those years, BY A LOT.

19 minutes ago, Knife said:

I have zero interest in seeing a cis-woman/bio queen on Drag Race. :triggered:

Hmm i think this is the bottom line of this requirement. Many people feel like that. 

But last shows i saw got bit repetitive where it could be much more. Seems like it just goes for the easier to sell. 

Archived