Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

'Stupid Love is dated'

OMonster

Featured Posts

OMonster

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this interpretation makes no sense to me. 

Why compare Gaga to current music trends? Is that really what some of you want from her?

If you look at what's 'in' at the moment - chart hits are either urban or 'whisper pop'. 

If Gaga doesn't sound current it's because she isn't pandering to minimalism, which she should never do. 

Spoiler

I think she tried it with The Cure, and - in my opinion - it was so mainstream and so un-Gaga that it could've been released by any other artist.

Gaga is a classic pop star. She SINGS and she's bold and she's brash. 

Even with ASIB, she SANG.

And perhaps, in today's music scene, that style might be described as 'dated' - but it isn't. 

It's just something that is no longer prevalent on the charts - it's a totally timeless style, though; it's true, vocally-powered pop music... and the world has been missing that for a long, long time. 

I mean, which artists really sing on their tracks anymore? 

Even Ariana stopped with the impressive notes, and is now drowned out by 'modern' production. 

Personally, I'd rather 'dated' if 'dated' means boldness, energy and excitement - not whispery minimalism. 

I, also, kind of question how a typical Gaga track couldn't be 'dated' - by some people's definitions of that cliche, not mine - and yet still be a Gaga track you all love. 

Because, if by dated you mean Gaga's typical style; the style she's famous for and is so great at - how couldn't a big pop banger not be dated when pop bangers are no longer 'on-trend'?

Gaga's sound, right from the very start, was 'dated' by that measure. 

Spoiler

When she re-introduced 'classic' pop music to radio with The Fame, I mean.

At the end of the day, Gaga is a 33-year-old pop superstar who shouldn't converge her style to current trends. 

She should evolve her sound (which she has always done) - but releasing a chart-chasing, whispery pop-trap record is *so* beneath her imo.

/rantover, lol.

subtext / fantasy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George

I don’t think it sounds dated at all. It sounds like it’s challenging 80s but with a modern twist. It has the nostalgic feel to it but you can just tell that it’s new. Something that Dua Lipa is doing rn. It perfectly fits the 2019/20 nostalgia aesthetic that’s been pretty popular. 

Also to those saying (still) that this is from BTW era there’s a part in song (that didn’t leak yet) where she sings “all I ever wanted was love” before the last chorus and you can just tell that it’s her strong voice from 18-19. 

ShayCristoforo

I think it sounds classic. Toxic, Thriller, Believe...

Those are all huge pop songs that are arguably dated. But we still go offfff for those hits. Because they sound classic. And interestingly, they all sound different from each other.

I think Stupid Love has that potential. It’s fun and different and refreshing. Her vocals also blow away the competition, so it’s on another level already. 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Infinity Wave
2 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

I don’t think it sounds dated at all. It sounds like it’s challenging 80s but with a modern twist. It has the nostalgic feel to it but you can just tell that it’s new. Something that Dua Lipa is doing rn. It perfectly fits the 2019/20 nostalgia aesthetic that’s been pretty popular. 

Sorry to bother you but

You say you heard it in full and HQ right? Do you know for sure if that's just a demo or the actual thing (unless they're changing it rn ofc)?

And you've heard it cuz people have had it since a year right? Cuz it was meant to be released last may?

I'm just SUPER curious :heart:

Colourful

SHALLOW

It sounds dated cause it sounds so much like BTW which is 9 years old.I think we’re gonna hear newer elements in the instrumentals once we hear it in HQ tho

Glamourpuss

I do get why it sounds dated to some. To me it reminds me of Eurodance which was huge in the nineties. 

But it also sounds like it would be a breath of fresh air on the radio. I feel like we need something like this back in the charts to liven it up a bit. 

It sounds dated because is a recording not the actual song... :trollga:

Wait for the real deal before criticizing something that isn’t even officially out yet :huntyga:

Hottie Detector

Monster7

Nostalgia from the 80s will be like one of the trends for this year, look at Dua Lipa new songs and Blinding Lights

Reality

It sounds like a modern pop song, but with a Gaga spin to it...like most of her songs. Maybe it sounds "dated" to people because there are some 80s influences in it? That's what I hear at least. Either way, we won't really know until if/when she releases it. I'm just happy to get any new music tbh. 

They're probably the same people that begged  Gaga to go back to pure pop/dance pop after Joanne and ASIB. Now it seems like she's doing that, and they're complaining about it? Okay...

Besides, I feel like these are also the same people that literally complain about everything/anything. Everytime something negative comes out about Gaga (in particular, her music), it's always like the same 5 people. A very vocal minority :hor:

🖤👹

SHALLOW
1 minute ago, Glamourpuss said:

I do get why it sounds dated to some. To me it reminds me of Eurodance which was huge in the nineties. 

But it also sounds like it would be a breath of fresh air on the radio. I feel like we need something like this back in the charts to liven it up a bit. 

I agree, we definitely need more fun songs. Tho i hope the lyrics aren’t too shallow and stupid on this one. From what i heard, they ain’t that good, i hope the rest of the song is better lyrically. Just cause it’s fun doesn’t mean lyrics ain’t gotta be good

LGMonster95

Gaga is not making her albums/songs based on what's on current trends in music, she does them based on what direction she feels like she wants to go

Lord Temptation

Maybe Born This Way IS the album of the decade: The 2020s :firega: 

I have a feeling LG6 will evoke Born This Way, a fusion of 80s macho rock with 90s gurl power pop :hor:

Ryusei

Everyone with their "dated" crap needs to just gtfo because if she did what was on trend it would be the same people saying "I'm sad she's adapting to trends" or "I miss her old sound" Why does it F*cking matter? Just take it for what it is or leave it. 

Musery

SHALLOW
2 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

It sounds like a modern pop song, but with a Gaga spin to it...like most of her songs. Maybe it sounds "dated" to people because there are some 80s influences in it? That's what I hear at least. Either way, we won't really know until if/when she releases it. I'm just happy to get any new music tbh. 

These are probably the same people that begged  Gaga to go back to pure pop/dance pop after Joanne and ASIB. Now it seems like she's doing that, and they're complaining about it? Okay...

Besides, I feel like these are also the same people that literally complain about everything/anything. Everytime something negative comes out about Gaga (in particular, her music), it's always like the same 5 people. A very vocal minority :hor:

Honestly i always said that i wanted a good pop record but after ASIB and Joanne i don’t really want her to go for shallow lyrics again. I just hope there’s balance between fun and meaningful lyrics

Archived