What Genre Is Joanne?

sillynate

Poll title  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What Genre is Joanne? (Song)

• Yeehaw
    • Soft rock

Featured Posts

Definitely not country, no one knows it south of the Macon County line and it would never be performed at the Grand Ole Opry.  I could see Reba performing it though for some reason.

reba mcentire GIF

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Bling
10 hours ago, sillynate said:

It’s so boring to classify a song as pop when it draws influences from tons of other genres

But it's still pop at its core

Sigmund Freud, analyze this

IAmNotHere1997

The album is soft rock mixed with country pop and a slightly modern approach to it. And it has NO FOLK influences for God's sake. Folk music means simplicity. Guitar, your voice, and that is ALL.

JustJames

I think that we have reached a point where the notion of 'Pop Music' has run its course and its time to either 1. give it a true definition and categorize it as a music genre in the same vein as Rap, R&B, Hip-Hop, etc.; or 2. accept that 'watered-down' and/or 'fusions' of multiple genre elements into 1 song to attract as many people in the GP as possible will always result in the most *popular* music out there (same way that centrist politicians will tend to have an upper-hand), and with that, possibly begin to identify and reward songs/albums by the heaviest influence on its sound.

I respect that there are historic and traditional music theories behind why certain sounds are labeled as they are. But, the current system (using the Grammys as a standard for this discussion) is unfairly biased against musicians who innovate but still stay in the "centrist" zone that we call 'Pop' depending on the types of sounds they incorporate.

If you turn on Top 40 radio and/or simply ask 100 people to label Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, and Lizzo, these are Pop musicians and as such, regardless of influences, their works should then be treated as Joanne - the LP - is/was. But, the history books say otherwise:

Lizzo, 1 year: 8 nominations across 3 genres, 4 subgenres - Pop, R&B, Traditional R&B, and Urban Contemporary.

Beyonce,  20 years: 23 wins, 70 nominations across 5 genres, 7 subgenres - Pop, Rock, R&B, Traditional R&B, Contemporary R&B, Urban Contemporary, and Rap/Sung.

Lady Gaga, 10 years: 9 wins, 27 nominations across 2 genres, 3 subgenres - Pop, Traditional Pop, and Dance

Taylor Swift, 12 years: 10 wins, 35 nominations across 2 genres - Pop and Country.

Gaga's entries/noms/wins in the Dance category are no longer allowed; so, despite heavy influences throughout her 7 eligible albums/soundtracks, Gaga - per today's rules - would have only 5 wins from 1 category: POP, which also happens to be the only "genre" category at the Grammys to not include both Song and Performance categories, which Swift and Beyonce in particular have benefitted from with multiple wins for both in Country/R&B over the years.

Maybe I am the outlier in seeing this situation as arbitrarily unbalanced? But, with the current system allowing these artists to have their heavier-influenced works recognized, what prevent(s/ed) Lady Gaga from having been considered for Folk/Country/Americana for several of her Joanne and ASIB works? Or, Rock for many BTW works? 

I think that the ideal situation, at least for now, might be expanding the Pop category to include awards for Album, Song, and Performance; and, then allow Pop songs to contend for the 'Contemporary Performance' awards of all other genres, reserving the normal category/genre for artists whose works identify most within it, and 'Traditional' awards wherever industry trends have so far extended beyond the previous norms that it warrants it (i.e., for a Tony Bennett collab album). 

Archived