Jump to content
Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
economy

Finland PM Floated 4 Day Work Week Standard Idea

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-01-08/finland-s-millennial-pm-calls-for-debate-on-4-day-work-week

 

21-17.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=780

 

Finlands Prime Minister one of the youngest Prime Minister's ever at age 34 has called on a debate about a 4 day work week standard

 

The argument comes in that due to increased productivity from modern technology and automation we can produce the same economic output now as decades ago in much less hours and suggests that shorter work weeks would help trickle down benefits of higher productivity to everyday citizens instead of just the rich making more profit

 

Other argue it would reduce output without trickling down anything because unless hourly wages went up, this wouldn't help inequality only decrease output for rich while middle class would get fewer hours of pay

 

The Prime Minister has not said she wants this to be the standard necessarily she merely said she welcomes the debate to consider it's pros and cons

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 5
  • Love 1
  • Shook 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
2 minutes ago, Varys said:

I- 

The french are quaking :bradley:

Well they can test it and if it works I want it too :vegas:

I think this works like a parabola. More hours equals more output up to a certain point until ppl get exhausted enough that diminishing hourly output lowers output for an entire week

 

For me myself I have found anything above 40 hours or so I think my total weekly output starts to drop but everyone is different

 

It sounds good. But unless they can reduce inequality to compensate, the lower hours would only impoversh people I think. They would need higher hourly pay to compensate for this

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
1 hour ago, xoxo Craig said:

Is that good or bad? 

Nice Avi!!!! :lolly:

 

Anyway I'm inclined to say bad....

 

It would be good for people's mental health and stress... But most people don't want shorter hours or else they struggle to get by (this is true in almost every nation even the most prosperous countries)

 

So like I said, this would only be good if somehow they could make companies raise hourly wages to compensate for shorter work weeks. If not people will just get paid less

 

If they could somehow encourage higher pay to compensate without significantly affecting business competitiveness with the world, then it would be good for the people

 

So it depends

Edited by Economy
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
xoxo Craig
2 minutes ago, Economy said:

Nice Avi!!!! :lolly:

 

Anyway I'm inclined to say bad....

 

It would be good for people's mental health and stress... But most people don't want shorter hours or else they struggle to get by (this is true in almost every nation even the most prosperous countries)

 

So like I said, this would only be good if somehow they could make companies raise hourly wages to compensate for shorter work weeks. If not people will just get laid less

 

If they could somehow encourage higher pay to compensate without significantly affecting business competitiveness with the world, then it would be good for the people

 

So it depends

Thank you :lolly:

yeah thats kind of what I was thinking... less hours means less pay. If they can increase the wages but work less that would be ideal

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andreu
16 minutes ago, Economy said:

The argument comes in that due to increased productivity from modern technology and automation we can produce the same economic output now as decades ago in much less hours and suggests that shorter work weeks would help trickle down benefits of higher productivity to everyday citizens instead of just the rich making more profit

well, this makes sense

I don't know if having a 2 day workweek is the perfect solution for this but she was totally right there

soundcloud.com/andreusongs

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
lego

 

 

@Economy

please change the title and OP, it’s wrong. you can read the fact checking on first link and official response in second tweet. 

You can talk in general is it good or bad thing, but this was spread as fake news and Finnish government had to clarify. 

 

Edited by lego
It's not easy love, but you've got friends you can trust
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
36 minutes ago, lego said:

 

 

@Economy

please change the title and OP, it’s wrong. you can read the fact checking on first link and official response in second tweet. 

You can talk in general is it good or bad thing, but this was spread as fake news and Finnish government had to clarify. 

 

I know it's not the agenda. I literally wrote on OP:

 

"The Prime Minister has not said she wants this to be the standard necessarily she merely said she welcomes the debate to consider it's pros and cons"

 

I'm fully aware the media exagerated the degree of enthusiasm about it and blew a remark out if proportion

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
lego
1 minute ago, Economy said:

I know it's not ok the agenda. I literally wrote on OP:

 

"The Prime Minister has not said she wants this to be the standard necessarily she merely said she welcomes the debate to consider it's pros and cons"

 

I'm fully aware the media exagerated the degree of enthusiasm about it

 

 

but it’s wrong, she said it in August when she was minister of transport. You are helping in spreading the fake news. The title is wrong. 

It's not easy love, but you've got friends you can trust

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
16 minutes ago, lego said:

 

 

but it’s wrong, she said it in August when she was minister of transport. You are helping in spreading the fake news. The title is wrong. 

So what did she say exactly?

 

If it's completely wrong I'll change it but I wanna know what aspect is wrong. I'm only aware of it being blown out of proportion to my knowledge not it being flat out incorrect

Edited by Economy

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
lego
Just now, Economy said:

So what did she say exactly?

 

Please read the link and tweet I provided. 

It's not easy love, but you've got friends you can trust

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Economy
6 minutes ago, lego said:

 

Please read the link and tweet I provided. 

So I read it and I still don't get what's fake about it

 

The media may have blown it out of proportion or twisted some facts but she did indeed floated the idea and welcome it's debate so I don't get what what ur saying

 

What am I missing? :huh:

 

 

 

 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...