Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

A Hypothesis

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

giskardsb
14 hours ago, Aarghya said:

As I have said earlier, the power of Lady Gaga is undeniable - then again, I'm fearing about the label abandoning her. 

most all label contracts these days are "360" contracts, which means Interscope gets a cut of all licensing, touring, and performance revenue along with music sales/streaming.   Gaga is still a huge money making artist for them, no way they just bail on her.

TheQueenEnthusiast

As much as I love Lorde, Billie is going to get the Lorde treatment. First album -  WOOOOO (big sales, "Look at this edgy teen!", "next biggest pop star"). Second album - critically acclaimed, no sales. You're forgetting to mention the constant evolution that is the music industry. With a few anomalies, early 2000s were R&B and slow pop, late 2000s were renewal of feel good American dance-pop, early 2010s were Euro-dance pop and then in 2013ish it was alternative and then in 2016-17 rap or pop with Caribbean or afro-beats, and now it's like I don't even know cause everything right now music is so terrible (but that's besides the point). Lorde + Lana thrived in the alternative market back in 2013-14, but barely make any numbers now. They're niche af now. The exception of this rule is Adele & Taylor whose music is wildly successful because it's a staple for soccer moms, Walmart music, and radio bops *no offense guys*. I don't see Billie changing herself for the market nor do I see being able to fit within other genres so. I highly doubt she'll be able to push Gaga down. 

crackpoppodcast

Billie will really have to recreate herself in her next era with some fresh and new sounds which I feel like she might miss the mark at.. Gaga’s constant reinvention has been the thread of her success 

Didymus

"Gaga got all the resources she wanted"

I don't think that's correct. For all we know Interscope was hesitant af to let her go on her jazzy, movie/tv series route. Yes, it paid off, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a risk :shrug:

I think Gaga proved to Interscope these last couple of years that there are many ways to go about her career and that she could still be very profitable, albeit maybe not through a standard music release. They're probably just figuring out how to best approach her public image now but I don't think they'll just abandon her. If they wanted to ditch her they would've done that in 2013/4. They'd be crazy to leave her by the side of the road now that she just slayed the soundtrack game with ASIB.

LilyLark
1 hour ago, TheQueenEnthusiast said:

As much as I love Lorde, Billie is going to get the Lorde treatment. First album -  WOOOOO (big sales, "Look at this edgy teen!", "next biggest pop star"). Second album - critically acclaimed, no sales. You're forgetting to mention the constant evolution that is the music industry. With a few anomalies, early 2000s were R&B and slow pop, late 2000s were renewal of feel good American dance-pop, early 2010s were Euro-dance pop and then in 2013ish it was alternative and then in 2016-17 rap or pop with Caribbean or afro-beats, and now it's like I don't even know cause everything right now music is so terrible (but that's besides the point). Lorde + Lana thrived in the alternative market back in 2013-14, but barely make any numbers now. They're niche af now. The exception of this rule is Adele & Taylor whose music is wildly successful because it's a staple for soccer moms, Walmart music, and radio bops *no offense guys*. I don't see Billie changing herself for the market nor do I see being able to fit within other genres so. I highly doubt she'll be able to push Gaga down. 

This. I am hesitant to discuss Billie, because some people get really mean about Billie on here (and I like the kid, and I don't want to start any hate threads). But in a way, she's almost Lorde "lite" and we all saw what happened with Lorde. And I feel like two tours for one album and the constant media presence is going to hurt her in the long run....

I feel like the younger members on here don't remember how huge Lorde was back in 2013—she was just as big, if not bigger, than Billie. Pure Heroine might not have done Billie's album numbers, but Royals was way more massive than Bad Guy. I believe it was on top of the BB100 for nearly two months and it was like in every d*mn tv show, film trailer, and ad.  And this was before the era when people (mostly kids/young teenagers) would use VPNs and set up tracklists to stream 24/7. And Lorde is a much stronger songwriter, and arguably a better vocalist than Billie (she's no Gaga or Ariana or Bey, but she can belt to a certain degree).  Anyway, I agree about Lorde and Lana but I'm not sure Billie is going to even have that—a career as a successful, niche artist.

LilyLark

I don't believe so. Gaga's a big enough name, and established, so they aren't going to shove her aside. If someone very close to her persona (Ava Max lol) was with Interscope and somehow selling 1+ million in an opening week, maybe, but that's not the case. The only thing I can see Interscope doing is maybe not wanting her to release or perform during the same time frame as Billie.

LilyLark
7 minutes ago, LGs LM said:

If Interscope's really the reason why LG6 is delayed, then she needs to go indie.

I'm making a huge assumption, but I kind of thought of a reasonable scenario where Interscope could have delayed it for a good reason and Gaga decided to go back and work on LG6 some more.

Anyway, Polydor had Gaga as 2019 TBD and Gaga has a history of releasing in late fall. It was also kind of a good time to release in late 2019...However, a couple of journalists claimed Adele was supposed to have released before the holidays (and I buy it, because she had that random People cover which was clearly a PR push and she's been more active on social media as of late). At the end of the day, Interscope is all about the $$$ and it's bad  business to release when Adele is dropping unless it's some small time indie artist who was never going to do big numbers—kind of like how new movies are rarely released at the same time as Star Wars and Marvel films.

JustJames

Meh; Interscope has never cared much about timing before- releasing TFM/BR before Paparazzi had reached its peak, releasing 4 singles from Born This Way before the album release during the same cycle as Adele, allowing Edge of Glory and DWUW to make less impact than they could by releasing them as promos and delaying their music videos....

Gaga is a once-in-a-lifetime artist but if you look only at her official singles, chart success, and awards, which is how many define success rather than listening to full LPs/bodies of work, there is obviously a disconnect between the talent and the promotion of that talent. I have been watching artRAVE recently, and there isn't a single artist who could or would perform such an amazing conceptural experience for fans following an album that has defined their downfall and had only 1 successful single. 

This year's Grammy awards are a joke; Gaga had 3 iconic eras with her debut album transforming pop through 4 top-6 singles, her followup had 3 top-6 singles, and BTW dominated radio and TV for a year with 2 top 3's and 4 top 10's. To date, she has 0 GF wins.

Billie Eilish - only a coincidence that she has been discussed in this thread; I do not believe the label is pushing her over Gaga - is likely to win BNA, AOTY, and ROTY off her debut album that only 1 big hit in bad guy; she'll also likely collect Best Pop Solo and Best Pop Vocal Album for 5 debut Grammy wins. Lizzo receved 8 nominations for an album that was carried by two 2+ year old songs, one of which will likely get SOTY. Those 2-year old songs are her only 2 top 10 hits. Lana, as much as I love her, earned a SOTY nod for an album track yet Bad Romance didn't make the cut in 2011?

If Interscope cared about timing, Gaga would be cleaning up in January after pushing ASIB, ARUTW, and INLA in the spring, or the first 1-2 tracks from LG6.

Archived