other

Stephen King Says Horror Is Considered A Ghetto Genre

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nenhures

I mean I know what he's trying to say but I'm sure that, as a writer, he should've known to word it better.

FATCAT

He obviously meant the actual meaning of ghetto & not the location meaning that people are up in arms about.

Purr more, hiss less.

Jose P
20 minutes ago, nenhures said:

I mean I know what he's trying to say but I'm sure that, as a writer, he should've known to word it better.

Yes, but as someone already said, he meant the place and the meaning of ghetto not the actual people who live there, like some tend to use the term. 

And he’s right. Horror has always been sort of an outcast among genres alongside comedy, like it’s not usually considered a serious form of cinematic or literary art.

King has been around for more than 30 years and has created numerous iconic characters and stories yet many still refuse to consider him a serious author worthy of recognition, just give an example.

EDIT: And now people on Twitter are trying to cancel him even saying he implied people who live in the ghetto are second-class citizens :fail:

DeanWinchester

He meant it's considered lowbrow by snobs but he should have worded it better :selena:

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

elijahfan
15 minutes ago, DeanWinchester said:

He meant it's considered lowbrow by snobs but he should have worded it better :selena:

Or maybe people should educate themselves and learn the initial meaning of the word...?

More on topic though, I wholeheartedly agree with the initial tweet... I love absolutely all movie genres, but my favorite movies from the past 2 years happen to be horror films. If award shows were fair, Florence Pugh and Lupita Nyong’o would be nominated this year. And Florence would actually get it.

Knives out darlings. No one cancels the King. 

Like seriously. This man is a mainstay. Even writers who don't like him are like "Well yeah. He may not be my taste but the man can write five books a year and get like three movies out of each. Who doesn't wanna be him?"

Jose P
19 minutes ago, Doot said:

Lol give it a good try Twitter. 

Y'all will never be able to cancel Stephen King. 

Imma seriously start throwing hands if they try to cancel him :madge:

56 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

He obviously meant the actual meaning of ghetto & not the location meaning that people are up in arms about.

isn't the location (aka 'a ghetto')  the actual meaning of ghetto? or what do you mean?

nenhures
4 minutes ago, weed said:

isn't the location (aka 'a ghetto')  the actual meaning of ghetto? or what do you mean?

I think they're talking about how ghetto can also mean an isolated place or a place that isn't granted the same kinds of opportunities therefore falling into King's argument that the Horror genre isn't taken seriously but it's safe to say that there's not a single soul that hears the word ghetto and thinks of that. Language evolves and mirrors the reality of the world they belong to. Queer could have meant strange someday but no one attributes that meaning to the word nowadays, so I don't think it's outlandish that people got outraged.

Sure Twitter will be Twitter but King should've known to word it better. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal and no one's getting "cancelled", whatever that means.

Archived