Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

When NYT declared Gaga OVER.

Serial Chiller

Featured Posts

LilyLark

He has one line shading Rihanna, too. Something about him not even knowing her album had been released the previous week....

Anyway, yikes. I know people were complaining that Gaga was not on enough on the "best of the decade" list but I was surprised she made several lists because a lot of the media has always been super harsh towards her. I know all the albums are in green/positive on metacritic, but a lot of critics are weirdly passive aggressive about her and basically go "well, she has strong vocals  but..."  It's weirdly reminiscent of how Lana often gets treated by the critics, at least before Norman F*cking Rockwell—her albums are all positive/in the green on metacritic, but the praise is often passive aggressive and a fair amount of snark.

nenhures
1 minute ago, LilyLark said:

He has one line shading Rihanna, too. Something about him not even knowing her album had been released the previous week....

Anyway, yikes. I know people were complaining that Gaga was not on enough on the "best of the decade" list but I was surprised she made several lists because a lot of the media has always been super harsh towards her. I know all the albums are in green/positive on metacritic, but a lot of critics are weirdly passive aggressive about her and basically go "well, she has strong vocals  but..."  It's weirdly reminiscent of how Lana often gets treated by the critics, at least before Norman F*cking Rockwell—her albums are all positive/in the green on metacritic, but the praise is often passive aggressive and a fair amount of snark.

Ikr? Even when she does make it onto lists or gets good reviews, most of the time the compliments are shady as hell. It's almost as if critics feel the need to put Gaga down and highlight how much they don't like her to be able to muster a positive comment between gritted teeth and then they turn around and lick the boots of the most mediocre male artists. Quite pathetic, if you ask me.

It's been happening since forever and a handful of critics have addressed the prejudice, gatekeeping and elitism within their circles but there's still a long way to go and Gaga and Lana are just two examples of a much greater problem.

LilyLark
3 hours ago, Serial Chiller said:

And you wonder why stans are setting each other on fire when the "media" is pumping fuel like this

Agree. Stan twitter is insane and toxic, but some (not all, but some) blue check journalists absolutely contribute to it at times. It's not that they are "haters", but a lot act petty, snarky and unprofessional. Basically, I've seen several music critics tweet in a manner that is near indistinguishable from "stan twitter" and it even seeps through in some reviews where the vibe comes off as "I hate to admit it, but this is...okay."

LilyLark
9 minutes ago, nenhures said:

Ikr? Even when she does make it onto lists or gets good reviews, most of the time the compliments are shady as hell. It's almost as if critics feel the need to put Gaga down and highlight how much they don't like her to be able to muster a positive comment between gritted teeth and then they turn around and lick the boots of the most mediocre male artists. Quite pathetic, if you ask me.

It's been happening since forever and a handful of critics have addressed the prejudice, gatekeeping and elitism within their circles but there's still a long way to go and Gaga and Lana are just two examples of a much greater problem.

There's definitely some misogyny in play. I remember a lot of the reviews of Rihanna's work used to focus on her personal appearance and it was like "wut?" And Lana and Gaga, as you mentioned....even in the positive reviews, there were often weird comments about their appearances, public personas, and then a grudging "well, she (Lana) can write" or "she (Gaga) can sing".  Even this link talks about Gaga as "grotesque" and it comes off as sexist....

Also, I do think there is some snobbery in that pop/pop esque artists who have more of a female audience/LGBTQ audience and who love fashion/costumes/etc. and don't always have a message get seen as "not serious."

*Taylor's starting to get that treatment, too, and she used to get treated with kid gloves for the most part by the critics. I've seen some comments about her persona being "juvenile" and it was like, okay, even if you think she's juvenile you are supposed to be critiquing the music and not her.

CannaeDrive

NYT dumb writer, let me introduce you to the Gaga Curse :trollga:

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

Runway

Only for Gaga to headline the halftime show a year later and boost the ratings unlike Beyoncé whose performances have made the ratings DROP twice :lmao: 

nenhures
4 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

There's definitely some misogyny in play. I remember a lot of the reviews of Rihanna's work used to focus on her personal appearance and it was like "wut?" And Lana and Gaga, as you mentioned....even in the positive reviews, there were often weird comments about their appearances, public personas, and then a grudging "well, she (Lana) can write" or "she (Gaga) can sing".  Even this link talks about Gaga as "grotesque" and it comes off as sexist....

Also, I do think there is some snobbery in that pop/pop esque artists who have more of a female audience/LGBTQ audience and who love fashion/costumes/etc. and don't always have a message get seen as "not serious."

*Taylor's starting to get that treatment, too, and she used to get treated with kid gloves for the most part by the critics. I've seen some comments about her persona being "juvenile" and it was like, okay, even if you think she's juvenile you are supposed to be critiquing the music and not her.

Yeah, I agree completely.

It's also funny that when it comes to actual problematic male artists the critics always say "Well, we have to separate the art from the artist" but when it comes to women, even if they haven't done anything bad they make sure to point out every single detail of their personal lives that doesn't please them and it just comes off as entitled and, quite frankly, disgusting.

And there most definitely is snobbery when it comes to pop music. I think that that's slowly starting to change but for the longest time the pop industry has been seen as vapid and incapable of producing meaningful records by a lot of critics and it very evidently showed in their half-assed reviews.

Here's to hoping that in the future everyone gets treated fairly and gets criticized when needed but also praised without backhanded comments.

LilyLark
17 minutes ago, Runway said:

Only for Gaga to headline the halftime show a year later and boost the ratings unlike Beyoncé whose performances have made the ratings DROP twice :lmao: 

No need to shade Bey, she gave a great performance.

LilyLark
2 minutes ago, PACGAGA said:

That’s their thing. 

Also kind of a stan culture thing in general—a critic or a stan acts weird/snotty about another singer, and people snark back about...the singer the critic/stan likes instead of calling them out for randomly pitting women against one another.

But yeah, the Bey hate gets old. TBF, there are a lot of Bey fans on GGD but the ones who dislike her are loud.

PACGAGA
4 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Also kind of a stan culture thing in general—a critic or a stan acts weird/snotty about another singer, and people snark back about...the singer the critic/stan likes instead of calling them out for randomly pitting women against one another.

But yeah, the Bey hate gets old. TBF, there are a lot of Bey fans on GGD but the ones who dislike her are loud.

you’re spilling. It’s funny how Beyoncé made the ratings “drop” yet both of her performance had more viewership than the actual show. 

Runway
9 hours ago, LilyLark said:

No need to shade Bey, she gave a great performance.

It’s a statistic fact that the times Beyonce performed ratings went down compared to the previous year :poot:

Archived