opinion

Is Billie This Generation's Avril?

Blastertoyo

Featured Posts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sneaky Oliver

I think it's a fair comparison. It's not about music genre or fashion style. It's about this "anti" persona they both have/had, serving as the opposite of the pretty sexy dancing pop girl

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Venus Rose

I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS WHILE AT ROSS LAST WEEK :ladyhaha:

They definently aren't similar in music style or whatever, but Avril has only had about 3  memorable hits throughout her career, and then everything started to go downhill after "Hello Kitty". You think the same could happen to Billie? Will she only stay relevant for the next couple of years because of 3 or 4 hits? So many questions :ohwell:

Blastertoyo
1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The original couple were Britney and Avril and in this age it kinda resemble Ariana and Billie.

One is the pop sensual female figure with mass appeal and the other is their counter-point that is liked by the indie community and stands for opposite things. It kinda works but it's nothing more than a silly comparison.

Maybe even Ari being a combo of Britney and Beyoncé.

with Ari’s rnb roots and coming from Victorious #PoorVictoria #PoorMichelle

please enlighten me to death

Blastertoyo
1 hour ago, geishababe said:

. It’ll be interesting to see how billies career pans out. I don’t see it emulating avrils anymore than it already does (i feel like this is as similar as it’s gonna get). Billie seems much more mature as an artist (even comparing 17 yo Billie to 30something Avril). Billie is the better lyricist by far and i think she’ll end up following lordes path. Someone whos still well known and well respected and seen as an artists artist but might not find the same commercial success as her debut. But you never know with these things!

This

also, I don’t get why some of y’all are so offended at the comparison when Billie has sited Avril as one of her biggest inspirations just like Gaga did with Madonna 

FfFfFfFF
15 minutes ago, Blastertoyo said:

Maybe even Ari being a combo of Britney and Beyoncé.

with Ari’s rnb roots and coming from Victorious #PoorVictoria #PoorMichelle

What is Beyonce-like in Ariana? :oprah:

Either way, I was making a point only based on their image and audience, like being pop and anti-pop figures.. I wasn't talking about their sound or genres.

Blastertoyo
22 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

What is Beyonce-like in Ariana? :oprah:

22 hours ago, Blastertoyo said:

With Ari’s rnb roots and coming from Victorious #PoorVictoria #PoorMichelle

Also being praised for her vocal talents, her glamorous image, being the most successful member from a group 

FfFfFfFF
12 minutes ago, Blastertoyo said:

Also being praised for her vocal talents, her glamorous image, being the most successful member from a group 

Ariana wasn't in a group..  If you judge from that perspective then Camila is the new Beyone :selena:

Ariana's vocals are praised by locals, but aren't perfect and and in no way on par with Beyonce. People get tricked by some whistle notes and runs and only judge based on their biased and impressionable idea of what a good vocalist sounds like.

And the glamorous image is something 70% of the pop girls have.

Gagaloo911

Lmao what 

gag1.gif

To be like Avril you'd actually have to be able to sing above a whisper and serve stellar vocals 

gag1.gif

Gypsy Life

Avril was not a one hit wonder.

Avril's album sold 16m pure copies. The other is barely at 4m despite the inflated free streams.

Avril was unproblematic and didn't have a rapist as a best friend.

gagaschickens

Avril, sweetie.. im so sorry

リのひ ᄃム刀'イ 尺乇ムり イんノ丂, ᄃム刀 リのひ?

Blastertoyo
3 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Ariana wasn't in a group..  If you judge from that perspective then Camila is the new Beyone :selena:

Ariana's vocals are praised by locals, but aren't perfect and and in no way on par with Beyonce. People get tricked by some whistle notes and runs and only judge based on their biased and impressionable idea of what a good vocalist sounds like.

And the glamorous image is something 70% of the pop girls have.

U seem pressed 

ThisGuyTony
On 12/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, geishababe said:

I’ve thought about making this thread but my threads always flop so I’m glad someone else decided to do this. 
OT: yes, in the sense that she’s the annoying new teenage girl who thinks she’s super punk and edgy and comes off as rude and seen as a tomboy. They both have huge young fanbases and have even been able to connect with adult listeners because of their more mature sounding singles “complicated”, “I’m with you”, “bad guy”, “everything i wanted”. But they also seem to get the eye roll from a lot of the gp for their “try hard” image

Theyre obviously two very different artists with different image and approach but i think they kind of strike the same chord in the pop cultural zeitgeist sense. It’ll be interesting to see how billies career pans out. I don’t see it emulating avrils anymore than it already does (i feel like this is as similar as it’s gonna get). Billie seems much more mature as an artist (even comparing 17 yo Billie to 30something Avril). Billie is the better lyricist by far and i think she’ll end up following lordes path. Someone whos still well known and well respected and seen as an artists artist but might not find the same commercial success as her debut. But you never know with these things!

Basically all this. :applause:

Archived