đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
sales

Do Albums Matter Anymore?

Sechito

Featured Posts

Edonis
5 minutes ago, Sechito said:

oh damn i didnt even think of contracts do you think in the future artists would have singles contracts instead of albums or smth

Maybe in some future society where this becomes the norm, then you'll see labels doing yearly contracts where a certain number of songs would have to be released, etc. But as of right now, no I doubt it. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Edonis said:

Maybe in some future society where this becomes the norm, then you'll see labels doing yearly contracts where a certain number of songs would have to be released, etc. But as of right now, no I doubt it. 

thats the thing we dont know if it will or not become the norm

Edonis
5 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

Also, I think the Billboard 200 (and any album chart for that matter) should be changing its formula. I don't get how single sales and streams count for both the Hot 100 and the album chart, I think it's a bit unfair. They should not count the sales and streams from the singles towards the album units as they could unjustly inflate the popularity of the album. People liking one song of the album a lot doesn't mean they are interested in the album...

The Hot 100 should go back to being a singles-only chart, with album cuts (songs that aren't actively promoted on the radio) being excluded from the chart. Let the album tracks count towards the album units, as they reflect the interest in the album more than the singles. 

I agree with all of this tbh. 

Edonis
Just now, Sechito said:

thats the thing we dont know if it will or not become the norm

If the way songs chart is changed, I think this will prevent the "singles only" direction. 

But you have to remember, this isn't completely new (singles dominating music). This was the norm back in the 50s/60s/and early 70s. Music changes and the way people consume music changes. I personally don't mind the release of several singles before an album release, but I still appreciate albums, and, concept albums. 

If Billboard changes their formula to truly discern between album tracks and singles, then things will likely change.

1 minute ago, Edonis said:

If the way songs chart is changed, I think this will prevent the "singles only" direction. 

But you have to remember, this isn't completely new (singles dominating music). This was the norm back in the 50s/60s/and early 70s. Music changes and the way people consume music changes. I personally don't mind the release of several singles before an album release, but I still appreciate albums, and, concept albums. 

If Billboard changes their formula to truly discern between album tracks and singles, then things will likely change.

true, i love seeing which of gagas songs of an album will become a single. but if they were released standalone, i dont know how much id like them. idk :/

49 minutes ago, Edonis said:

also how likely even is it that billboard would change

HookerOnAChurch

If the album sales did not count there would no longer be a valid reason to create music.

1 minute ago, HookerOnAChurch said:

If the album sales did not count there would no longer be a valid reason to create music.

why

nenhures
2 minutes ago, HookerOnAChurch said:

For the industry? Yes because their main goal is to generate profit.

But music is an art form and album sales are the least important of reasons to create it. Thankfully.

fishinmyhair

I hate when Taylor says "look you can still sell albums, I'm doing it!" .... like bitch DUH. You are the EXCEPTION.

HookerOnAChurch
Just now, Sechito said:

why

Because releasing random singles in order to please the fans and the charts literally means killing the music and the creativity of the artist who would return to have nothing to say in the matter. A whole record tells a story a  random song no.

Archived