đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
sales

Do Albums Matter Anymore?

Sechito

Featured Posts

nenhures

Of course they do. It's not just about the commercial appeal, there's the artistic aspect of releasing a cohesive collection of tracks and I believe that even if physical albums become a thing of the past, streaming still has enough space for them to exist. It's entirely possible to have albums in an all-digital era.

I could be wrong and albums could disappear in the upcoming decades but I'd really hate to see that happen.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Glamourpuss said:

Releasing random singles didn't work for Katy Perry and it isn't really working for Ava Max. Their fans keep asking where the album is.  

I love a solid body of work and a cohesive album. It just wouldn't feel right to be given random songs with no proper album release. :noparty:

true, katy said that she might make the singles with an album if people ask enough and, as much as i appreciate her, thats not how you should really do it. albums need concepts, ideas, not just songs smashed together into an album *eyes lp1*

2 minutes ago, nenhures said:

Of course they do. It's not just about the commercial appeal, there's the artistic aspect of releasing a cohesive collection of tracks and I believe that even if physical albums become a thing of the past, streaming still has enough space for them to exist. It's entirely possible to have albums in an all-digital era.

I could be wrong and albums could disappear in the upcoming decades but I'd really hate to see that happen.

exactly! tours would also be super boring, like just ''artist name world tour'' like no h03 give us a concept

DeanWinchester

They should because they also bring with them an entire era, and (ideally) a unifying concept and/or sound which, in the long run, help showcase an artist's evolution. Sadly, quick little singles seem to be gaining traction.

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

1 minute ago, DeanWinchester said:

They should because they also bring with them an entire era, and (ideally) a unifying concept and/or sound which, in the long run, help showcase an artist's evolution. Sadly, quick little singles seem to be gaining traction.

not only that but the singles artists are releasing are getting shorter and shorter, literally every song on tfm was 4m or longer but now 2m-3m are the average

Daylight Jokers
3 minutes ago, Sechito said:

not only that but the singles artists are releasing are getting shorter and shorter, literally every song on tfm was 4m or longer but now 2m-3m are the average

Imagine not releasing an album and only offering fans with 2m-3m every two months. That would be very frustrating omg.

Just now, LGs LM said:

Imagine not releasing an album and only offering fans with 2m-3m every two months. That would be very frustrating omg.

id unstan immediately jeez, at least w gagas singles shes either

a) releasing it during an active era (eg the cure)
b) releasing because she hasnt released something in a while ( eg tihty)

Edonis

Most of the public that consumes music does not care about charts and success. When they discover a new artist they like, many will ask when the album of that artist comes out. As much as streaming has skewed music consumption to just singles (in the same way that radio has), consumers still enjoy and appreciate albums. Albums can still be profitable, especially when it comes to touring (the source of most musicians' income outside of contracts). TL/DR yes, I think albums still matter. 

Just now, Edonis said:

Most of the public that consumes music does not care about charts and success. When they discover a new artist they like, many will ask when the album of that artist comes out. As much as streaming has skewed music consumption to just singles (in the same way that radio has), consumers still enjoy and appreciate albums. Albums can still be profitable, especially when it comes to touring (the source of most musicians' income outside of contracts). TL/DR yes, I think albums still matter. 

oh damn i didnt even think of contracts do you think in the future artists would have singles contracts instead of albums or smth

Jadeykins

I think creating great albums is usually a lot more important for a musicians legacy than just having a couple great singles. Imagine if green day hadn’t created “American idiot” or Kate bush didn’t make “hounds of love” - great albums are truly works of art 

Blown Away

They don't matter as much as they used to, sadly. Some artists still put a lot of effort in them and try to make an event/era out of it, like Beyoncé and Taylor. But most popular artists nowadays drop two or three singles before an album, the succesful ones make the album, and the album release also marks the end of the era. Or they release many standalone singles, then decide to make an album and then just tack those songs onto it for streams, making the album rather seem a single collection with no direction instead of an album. 

We need albums like 4, 1989, Dirty Computer, Lemonade, The 20/20 Experience... with a clear direction and actual effort put into them. However, I believe we'll be going back to a 60's type of music model in which singles mattered more than the album. The albums chart clearly reflects that as well. 

Also, I think the Billboard 200 (and any album chart for that matter) should be changing its formula. I don't get how single sales and streams count for both the Hot 100 and the album chart, I think it's a bit unfair. They should not count the sales and streams from the singles towards the album units as they could unjustly inflate the popularity of the album. People liking one song of the album a lot doesn't mean they are interested in the album...

The Hot 100 should go back to being a singles-only chart, with album cuts (songs that aren't actively promoted on the radio) being excluded from the chart. Let the album tracks count towards the album units, as they reflect the interest in the album more than the singles. 

They shipped it, but it got shipped back

Just now, Jadeykins said:

I think creating great albums is usually a lot more important for a musicians legacy than just having a couple great singles. Imagine if green day hadn’t created “American idiot” or Kate bush didn’t make “hounds of love” - great albums are truly works of art 

true, then again, modern artists probably just care about virality :oops:

2 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

They don't matter as much as they used to, sadly. Some artists still put a lot of effort in them and try to make an event/era out of it, like Beyoncé and Taylor. But most popular artists nowadays drop two or three singles before an album, the succesful ones make the album, and the album release also marks the end of the era. Or they release many standalone singles, then decide to make an album and then just tack those songs onto it for streams, making the album rather seem a single collection with no direction instead of an album. 

We need albums like 4, 1989, Dirty Computer, Lemonade, The 20/20 Experience... with a clear direction and actual effort put into them. However, I believe we'll be going back to a 60's type of music model in which singles mattered more than the album. The albums chart clearly reflects that as well. 

Also, I think the Billboard 200 (and any album chart for that matter) should be changing its formula. I don't get how single sales and streams count for both the Hot 100 and the album chart, I think it's a bit unfair. They should not count the sales and streams from the singles towards the album units as they could unjustly inflate the popularity of the album. People liking one song of the album a lot doesn't mean they are interested in the album...

The Hot 100 should go back to being a singles-only chart, with album cuts (songs that aren't actively promoted on the radio) being excluded from the chart. Let the album tracks count towards the album units, as they reflect the interest in the album more than the singles. 

ur username is what i am to this comment lol

Archived