opinion

DWUW: one of Gaga's best?

Babel

Featured Posts

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
magicalgaga

I do think it's one of Gaga's best songs, not depending on the version. R. Kelly is a shitty person, yes, but the version with him honestly is so good. it's such a shame that the song is kind of disregarded nowadays outside of the fanbase at least.

i was born this way, baby

JustJames

It isn't just disregarded. It literally pulled down the queen of pop music and derailed one of the most legendary career trajectories in music. Lady Gaga left the 'Applause' era with most critics giving positive or mixed reviews that said, at worst, that the lead track was a bit of a letdown and didn't quite live up to the 3 that came before it. It was nearly a universal theme in reviews that the ARTPOP era had gotten off to a solid start and the oens written following the drop of 'DWUW' were even more positive, implying that another top-5 charting hit was building and complimenting the R&B sound and experimentation. 

Fast-forward a few months, and the ARTPOP was essentially bludgeoned to an early death and since 09/2013, the artist formerly known as Lady Gaga has still yet to release an acclaimed track that fits seamlessly into her discography. Since the best radio hit of her career that was released in 09/2013, we got the #76 'G.U.Y.' that nobody in the GP would remember, though its video was truly epic and may be the last of its kind we get from her. Her next solo release not affiliated with a film would come in 2016 with #15 Perfect Illusion in late 2016, followed by sub-70 'A-YO' and sub-20 (ignoring the Superbowl) 'Million Reasons.' A non-charting 'Joanne (Piano)' and sup-20 'The Cure' would follow in 2017-2018. That's just crazy. Between 2008 and NYE 2011, Lady Gaga released 3 albums with 2 #1 hits, 11 top-10 singles, and 1 #29 single. Between NYE 2011 and August 2018, she released 2 solo albums with 1 true top 10 hit (Applause), 1 other top-10 charting single (Million Reasons), and 4 other Hot 100 official singles. 6 songs in ~7 years vs. 14 in ~3 years, with much different levels of success.

I absolutely LOVE this song and I can't help myself from wondering what went down behind the scenes that made her change it into a collaboration when the solo version was SO clear in its message: 'I'm tired, I'm in pain, and I'm being abused; but, the industry can use my body when I'm Lady Gaga, but they'll never take my voice and mind and humanity.' 

The R Kelly version is yicky regardless of the background and allegations, etc. It was turned into a song that did EXACTLY what LG was saying the industry couldn't do and made her promote the song as having sexual connotations when it wasn't. They stole her voice when they changed that second verse, even if the final product was sonically gorgeous and deserving of so much more acclaim. If I were speaking freely, I'd say the collabs with R Kelly and Terry Richardson was entirely part of the plan. The parallels with the initial message she tried to sing on ARTPOP through songs like Applause and the original DWUW are just too coincidental. 

Customzanotti

I really dont see it, it's the most basic track on fARTPOP :nooo:

Pompom hole n streets w/ ma heels

Davian
3 hours ago, Haus Swiftie said:

It is a great song but I much prefer the xtina version 

@Davian:stalkga:

Yesss! They united together against men like R K*lly and we stan!

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29f2f43556c839afdf28

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

Davian

It’s definitely one of her best and my favorites!:firega: It aged like fine wine. Hearing two powerful vocalists like Xtina and Gaga collab is perfection:heart:

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

sillynate

I think it was a part of her plan to include him on it. 

Include a predator on a song where she said “you can’t have my heart and you won’t use my mind” 

Brilliant in a twisted way. 

Add the second meaning of the song about how “there’s wars and famine and I’m on the news for my weight?” and it joins the theme of the album: coming together. 

It’s genius and daring.

MetalGaga

This performance of DWUW is all the chills. Her voice is insane, the camera angles are on point. The end where she sings after the song is over is powerful.  She's the best. 

Sickness

Yes. So smooth and just cool. Too bad about the feat but can’t deny it’s a nicely delivered verse.

FadMadonsterStan

It was my favorite Gaga song for the longest time! I remember when I was a sophomore in high school just hearing this jock guy ( I had a crush on by the way) was  singing the song to some girl, which I assume was his girlfriend cause he was borderline almost rubbing on her leg, all this happened  while waiting for the bell to ring and it was a “oh yes I’m definitely gay”  kind of moments for me lol :poot:

Don't go for second best, baby Put your love to the test

Smother Em Eh

It truly is. And honestly, some many disagree but this version is the best one. It’s iconic and sexy. 

Also people were singing it on YouTube and tweeting it’s chorus on social media around the time when it was released. It was popular when it came out. Could have been a hit. The hit that got away :giveup:

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

I know this is gonna sound dramatic as **** but too say this song changed my life is an understatement. This one song has not only morphed me into the person I am today but its also the song that made me really pay attention to music and see it more as an art form (and made me wanna create music). Again who I am today would be way different without this song. This is not only one my favorite gaga songs but my favorite song of all time. 

Bjork/Gaga Stan

Adding to that theres tons of things that makes this song gagas best. The synth pad? during rk*lly/xtina's part. The synth keys at the end of the song/the fade out. Lets not forget about gagas vocals. That part at the end of the xtina version where there just screaming at each other is honestly iconic. The lyrics are honestly sooo ****ing toaching. I could go on all day about everything that makes this gagas best. 

Bjork/Gaga Stan

KatieJudasGaga4

Yes! It's my favorite song in ARTPOP and the AMA's + Alan Carr performances are one of my favorite performances by her!

1 hour ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

Yes! It's my favorite song in ARTPOP and the AMA's + Alan Carr performances are one of my favorite performances by her!

Did you download them? I once requested it here but no one responded :flop: The AMA‘s are my favorite performance of ha :diane:

Archived