💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

EW picks The Edge of Glory the 12th best pop hook of the 2010s

monketsharona

Featured Posts

xoxo Craig
4 minutes ago, lovedillon said:

I wouldn’t say it’s her worst but I def think it’s in the bottom 5 based solely on the lyrical content. Gaga is such a great writer & has proven how intelligently she can write but Hair is not it. Compared to Bloody Mary, Judas, Bad Romance, Mary Jane Holland etc. it doesn’t even come close.

Hair is bad lyrically, and sonically... especially with the "free as my ha-ha-ha-ha-hair x4" 

Again, if she wanted a ballad then it should have just been piano and changed some lyrics, and removed that effect thing

End Racism Now

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
beaublue
Just now, xoxo Craig said:

Hair is bad lyrically, and sonically... especially with the "free as my ha-ha-ha-ha-hair x4" 

Again, if she wanted a ballad then it should have just been piano and changed some lyrics, and removed that effect thing

I don’t think it’s bad sonically/melodically. I actually feel it’s inspired & progressive. You seem pretty set in your ways though so expressing my opinion on the song in convo doesn’t seem productive lol but like I said, I agree it’s not one of her best songs.

Lilmonzter

Truly a classic pop rock saxy song:vegas:

That sax just elevates the song, something extra special. I mean who else had sax on pop songs at that time?!

Sing C'est la vie 

JustJames

Stripping down the production of TEOG would totally take away what made BTW epic. The electropop/synth 80s rock vibe that all seemed cohesive and dominating at the time of its release made for one of the most amazing eras ever (on paper; release schedules, videos gone awry, single choices, etc. did their damage). The lyrics are gorgeous and the accoustic versions are amazing; but, the studio version is a perfect reflection of what Gaga is and has always been and that it hit so hard so fast as a promo single shows this. 

The production being so heavy and brilliant absolutely matches the lyrical content -- the song is about approaching death as "Rocky." Looking back at life in its final moments and knowing "f*ck, I did it." That comes through with the rock-pop overall theme. 

Anyone ever estimate how it would have charted with a true release vs. a promo (it ended up charting #3 with digital sales only up against Hair)?

xoxo Craig
2 hours ago, JustJames said:

Stripping down the production of TEOG would totally take away what made BTW epic. The electropop/synth 80s rock vibe that all seemed cohesive and dominating at the time of its release made for one of the most amazing eras ever (on paper; release schedules, videos gone awry, single choices, etc. did their damage). The lyrics are gorgeous and the accoustic versions are amazing; but, the studio version is a perfect reflection of what Gaga is and has always been and that it hit so hard so fast as a promo single shows this. 

The production being so heavy and brilliant absolutely matches the lyrical content -- the song is about approaching death as "Rocky." Looking back at life in its final moments and knowing "f*ck, I did it." That comes through with the rock-pop overall theme. 

Anyone ever estimate how it would have charted with a true release vs. a promo (it ended up charting #3 with digital sales only up against Hair)?

Born This Way is easily her worst album and I don't think it was that epic. 

The Edge of Glory feels too long, and it just gets boring. Her vocals and the message of the song gets washed away by the heavy instrumental. Hearing it on the piano just lets that message, those lyrics that are so heartfelt come through. The production is just too much for what the song needs... as I said earlier, imagine Million Reasons with that production... it doesn't feel right. When it comes to songs like that, they should really be piano ballads 

This just sounds way more intimate, way more honest, and overall, way more better than the studio version.

End Racism Now

JustJames
1 hour ago, xoxo Craig said:

Born This Way is easily her worst album and I don't think it was that epic. 

The Edge of Glory feels too long, and it just gets boring. Her vocals and the message of the song gets washed away by the heavy instrumental. Hearing it on the piano just lets that message, those lyrics that are so heartfelt come through. The production is just too much for what the song needs... as I said earlier, imagine Million Reasons with that production... it doesn't feel right. When it comes to songs like that, they should really be piano ballads 

This just sounds way more intimate, way more honest, and overall, way more better than the studio version.

Which is why it is great in an intimate setting. Gaga's live performances are everything; the Cherrytree Sessions is by itself an iconic moment. Her lyrics are always deep, personal, and obviously much easier to connect with emotionally when it is just her, her voice, and a melody. 

But, there is a reason the STUDIO version of TEOG was not a ballad. Million Reasons peaked outside of the top 20 before the Superbowl. Its commercial success is immensely overrated because of the post-SB inflation. The day before the game, the album 'Joanne' had a #15 lead single with mixed reviews, and two unsuccessful followups with 'A-YO' and 'Million Reasons' failing to break through critically or with the GP. MR would be 'Brown Eyes'-level within her discography if not for the million performances of it and a peak position that does not accurately reflect its actual status in the market (see: 'Dope' #8).

MR still connects in an intimate setting, though, despite being much weaker than previous ballads like 'Speechless.' But, TEOG would have never debuted at #3 in March 2011 as a ballad. It would have been the dagger in the heart of that album and who knows what would have happened to LG's trajectory since it would have followed the underperformance of 'Judas.' BTW being her weakest album is your opinion and its epicness really could not be fully appreciated by someone who was only 13 at the time of its release. I am not questioning your maturity level or ability to look back and assess music, or to have an opinion. But, the impact of BTW as an album and era was real and it was bigger than any other album or era from a popstar since Britney rebooted the genre. I was 10 years older than you and for me and my gay friends, the biggest popstar in the world releasing an anthem that supported our equality was not something we ever saw as a possibility. BTW, TEOG, and You&I all broke into the GP in a HUGE way, and her looks, persona, and music from this period would be instantly remembered by anyone who was around to see and feel it.

martiniglistens

TEOG is an emotional and musical masterpiece. It is 100% the sound of freedom. The sound of a break through. The sound of new beginnings and happiness. The sound of closure. 

It embodies every theme of BTW, and has a giant rock out catchy and explosive hook. This song once came on in a bar I was at and it was spiritual. Everyone just screaming at the top of their lungs with their hands up. 

As successful as it was, it should have been even bigger. I am glad to see it get some recognition on this list!

PartySick
On 12/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, TheShameMonster said:

Aura's hook deserves the #1 spot

Off topic but I play Aura at work sometimes 'cause...well, it's my jam :emma: I have yet to find anyone who didn't at least nod along to the beat in the verses.

Some people think the "HAHAHAHAHAHA" is weird but oh well :huntyga:

OT: Deserved :applause: I prefer The Queen or Gypsy as the answer to "what is your favorite Gaga power ballad?" but TEOG is still stellar :flutter:

🖤

Archived