💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Gaga's ARTPOP era "dissected".

Guillaume Hamon

Featured Posts

nenhures
2 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

It did, however, capture the pain she talked about in every single song. And she never makes an album that's just one genre. While the entire album wasn't EDM, it was really heavy stuff with glam, electro, techno influences. And everything that's really playable in a danceclub which was, in the end, the focus. Yes, Dope too. I can see a good remix of it. I mean, people did it to TIHTY and INLA... At least Dope is more compatible with a danceclub in a more ironic, inward looking sense.

I heard the INLA remix (which lowkey bops btw) but I had no idea about the TIHTY one :nooo: The mere prospect of a remix of that song existing sends me like why :nooo:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
magicalgaga

Honestly, I feel like the concept of ARTPOP was not clear to GP. While Gaga did talk about where she was coming from with the album, the media and people outside the fanbase just didn't get it throughly. I mean, even for me, someone whose native language isn't English and was kind of young back then when the album was released, the concept of ARTPOP was kind of hard to understand. And let's be real, the thought process behind the music was more important than the music itself. So I think that had a serious impact on the way ARTPOP was viewed and is still viewed from an objective perspective. 

i was born this way, baby

Guillaume Hamon
Just now, nenhures said:

I heard the INLA remix (which lowkey bops btw) but I had no idea about the TIHTY one :nooo: The mere prospect of a remix of that song existing sends me like why :nooo:

I remember being on Twitter or something and seing a video of people dancing on the remix TIHTY in a club...

It was weird and I didn't know how to feel about it.

nenhures
1 minute ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

I remember being on Twitter or something and seing a video of people dancing on the remix TIHTY in a club...

It was weird and I didn't know how to feel about it.

Right? It's such a serious and somber song (not that INLA isn't but they're on different levels and TIHTY isn't about a fictional relationship). People puzzle me, they really do.

Guillaume Hamon
17 hours ago, magicalgaga said:

Honestly, I feel like the concept of ARTPOP was not clear to GP.

Oh I think we can even be sure it wasn't! ;) 

17 hours ago, magicalgaga said:

even for me, someone whose native language isn't English and was kind of young back then when the album released, the concept of ARTPOP was kind of hard to understand.

Right?! To me that's what make this era more arty as well. The "sell speech" she was delivering on her promo tour wasn't a good marketing one on paper the way the ones for The fame/ the fame monster or born this way were.

I say that in the sense it wasn't as universal as the former ones and less simple so basically not as efficient. :) 

Guillaume Hamon
2 minutes ago, nenhures said:

Right? It's such a serious and somber song (not that INLA isn't but they're on different levels and TIHTY isn't about a fictional relationship). People puzzle me, they really do.

At some point I was asking myself " is it good cause it helps the message to reach people who wouldn't want to go through a dark documentary or through a sad ballad?"..

I mean maybe it did. I hope so cause if not it's just weird.

It might be my least favorite Gaga album (even though I still love it) but am I the only one who thinks that the album is REALLY cohesive? Maybe even too much, too many songs about the same things

MetalGaga

Ann Wilson came up with the song Barracuda because of a journalist portraying her and her sister as lovers and it became one of the best known rock songs. Had Gaga not teamed up with R Kelly and TR, DWUW would have been massive. She displays a lot of vocal power and the beat hits hard. Too much behind the scenes bs to let the song do its thing. 

BARCODE

It's sad because I really feel like if ARTPOP were released today  (with a little more updated 2019/2020 instrumentals) lyrically, conceptually, artistically, and hype-wise it would be far more accepted, understood, and praised. 

Pop just wasn't there yet. 

It definitely is now though. I look at the popularity of Billie Eillish, Grimes, Janelle Monae, Beyonce's Lemonade, and Rihanna's ANTI....ARTPOP would have worked alot better now because I feel like people give stranger concepts more of a chance in the streaming era. 

Guillaume Hamon
18 minutes ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

It might be my least favorite Gaga album (even though I still love it) but am I the only one who thinks that the album is REALLY cohesive? Maybe even too much, too many songs about the same things

Well some songs seemed cohesive with each other ( too close nearly indeed ) but overall it's not very cohesive imo.

It's like a compilation of a few track from an album project placed with the few tracks of an other album project etc.

MetalGaga
2 minutes ago, BARCODE said:

It's sad because I really feel like if ARTPOP were released today  (with a little more updated 2019/2020 instrumentals) lyrically, conceptually, artistically, and hype-wise it would be far more accepted, understood, and praised. 

Pop just wasn't there yet. 

It definitely is now though. I look at the popularity of Billie Eillish, Grimes, Janelle Monae, Beyonce's Lemonade, and Rihanna's ANTI....ARTPOP would have worked alot better now because I feel like people give stranger concepts more of a chance in the streaming era. 

Disagree 100% with ‘updating’ her instrumentals from ARTPOP. Newer artists are using the same gear or the same samples. Gaga was still writing incredible melodies and hooks for that album. 

GP pop wasn’t ready for BTW either. If that would have been her debut album, we might not even have GagaDaily. 

HeavyCapiLover

Lol I was watching these 2 videos earlier this day, I guess that's because we both have infected our youtube with gaga videos

Guillaume Hamon
4 minutes ago, HeavyCapiLover said:

Lol I was watching these 2 videos earlier this day, I guess that's because we both have infected our youtube with gaga videos

It must be that I feel like I saw every gaga video there is on YT haha. ;) 

2 hours ago, derpmonster said:

It did, however, capture the pain she talked about in every single song. And she never makes an album that's just one genre. While the entire album wasn't EDM, it was really heavy stuff with glam, electro, techno influences. And everything that's really playable in a danceclub which was, in the end, the focus. Yes, Dope too. I can see a good remix of it. I mean, people did it to TIHTY and INLA... At least Dope is more compatible with a danceclub in a more ironic, inward looking sense.

Idk if I'd call the remixes of those two songs good lol

Chromaticunt
2 hours ago, magicalgaga said:

Honestly, I feel like the concept of ARTPOP was not clear to GP. While Gaga did talk about where she was coming from with the album, the media and people outside the fanbase just didn't get it throughly. I mean, even for me, someone whose native language isn't English and was kind of young back then when the album was released, the concept of ARTPOP was kind of hard to understand. And let's be real, the thought process behind the music was more important than the music itself. So I think that had a serious impact on the way ARTPOP was viewed and is still viewed from an objective perspective. 

I really don't think the majority of the GP care about an album's title or concept that much. I think ARTPOP just came along at a time when heavy, thumping dance beats were starting to go out of fashion. 

Plus, people had kind of heard it all before. I know ARTPOP technically sounds very different to Born This Way and The Fame, but she was still doing four on the floor beats with big choruses and quirky lyrics. Like, it's no wonder people started to get Gaga fatigue. That's why it's so important to reinvent yourself as an artist. Gaga knew all this from studying the greats, which is why her career turnaround has been such a big success.

Archived