Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Previous Grammy Submissions - Misses and Snubs?

JustJames

Featured Posts

JustJames

Still bummed but  since Gaga's debut, her GRAMMY track record has been, well, an enigma; was the Joanne win last year a sign that she has transitioned from a snubbed artist to a legacy/GRAMMY darling artist? Was it a fluke? Was it merely a consolation win for the 2 additional snubs in SOTY/ROTY for Shallow? Is ARUTW's nom a way to get her a GF win or a set up?

LG is a legend in my book regardless of charts and awards, but it is bizarre to me how mismanaged her eras have been and how some mistakes have happened over and over. Some of it is, of course, hindsight and being "little managers." But, some is just common sense. What are your thoughts on these eras and the accolades received/not received? I have a ton of questions that I have seen some answers to before, but others not so much and am interested to hear opinions.

GRAMMYS: AOTY (nom), ROTY (nom), SOTY (nom), Electronic/Dance Album (win), Electronic/Dance Son (win)

SNUBS: AOTY (The Fame, win), ROTY (Pokerface, win), BMV (Paparazzi, win), BNA (win)

QUESTIONS:

1) This was her most inexplicable AOTY loss despite it being her weakest body of work of the 3, IMO. "Fearless" just didn't compare. And, Pokerface dominated radio, clubs, and pop music forever- an ROTY consolation (not that it needed it) would have been just.

2) Could Paparazzi be submitted to Best Pop Vocal while leaving The Fame/PF in Dance/Electronic?

3) Was Paparazzi not submitted to BMV? Did Interscope mess up by submitting JD in 2009? 

4) I always thought "Starstruck" would have smashed and given more meat to The Fame thematically. It has aged horribly, but was on-trend. Could it have gotten a Pop Collab / Rap Collab nom or win?

GRAMMYS: AOTY (The Fame Monster), BPVP (Bad Romance, win), BPVA (TFM, win), Best Dance Recording (DITD), Best Pop Collab (Telephone)

SNUBS: ROTY (Bad Romance, win), SOTY (Bad Romance, win) 

QUESTIONS:

1) Is it confirmed that the BRP blocked BR nominations in SOTY/ROTY? Why?

2) Was Speechless a missed opportunity to submit a GRAMMY-bait type of ballad and submit for SOTY?

3) Was ending this era at 3 singles a miss given it was her peak and an album of perfection?

4) What were the actual reasons songs like Animal, Reloaded, No Way, Out of Control, etc. were left off?

GRAMMYS: AOTY (nom),BPVP (You and I, nom), BPVA (BTW, nom)

SNUBS: ROTY (Born This Way, nom), SOTY (EOG, nom), BPVP (EOG, win), BMV (BTW, win)

QUESTIONS:

1) SERIOUSLY, what was the deal not submitting BTW/EOG to the major categories? 

2) Regardless, why was Gaga not thrown 1 bone for her groundbreaking era? (a BMV for BTW, for example?) 

1) Was MTN even submitted for awards that year?

SNUBS: BSVM (Til it Happens To You, win)

SNUBS: SOTY (Million Reasons, nom)

WINS: ROTY (Shallow, win)

- I wish at least a couple of Gaga's collabs had been released; she could have cleaned up with some of those Kendrick ones IMO.

- Was 5 ft2 or the Superbowl eligible?

Anyway, just some thoughts.

TheRealJT

You missed 2014. 
Applause and Do What U Want were snubbed. Applause in Pop and Do What U Want in Duo/Group

52 minutes ago, Vroom Vroom said:

You missed 2014. 
Applause and Do What U Want were snubbed. Applause in Pop and Do What U Want in Duo/Group

DWUW was for 2015.

It was indeed submitted for Duo/Group.

That year, Interschoice decided to submit Dope (ROTY) and Gypsy (SOTY):fail:

Also, in 2011 (for the 2012 ceremony), Judas was submitted for SOTY, when Born This Way and The Edge Of Glory both existed… :fail:

Goodtimes12128

I'd rather there be some "snubs" but Gags continues to get nominations for many years, like we have been getting. Thankfully LG6 wasn't released yet because ASIBs is still getting noms! Gags coming for best song noms three years in a row in 2021 :firega:

TheRealJT
1 hour ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

DWUW was for 2015.

It was indeed submitted for Duo/Group.

Dope for ROTY? Yikes 

The only real snubs in terms of nominations were ASIB for AOTY and Million Reasons for SOTY and ARUTW for Pop solo

Bad Romance should have been in ROTY/SOTY but honestly getting AOTY for an EP that is a continuation of a previous year's AOTY nominee is a bit of an overperformance. It should have been SOTY/ROTY and NOT AOTY but the Grammys were actually kinder to her there.

In terms of wins, She should have won in the GF by now. Shallow should have won SOTY at least.

You can ignore 2012 because Adele (and also Interscope screwed up), but anything in her earlier years was not gonna win in the GF. Watch the clip of Taylor accepting AOTY for Fearless. Look at Gaga in that audience with that costume. She was polarizing at that time. No way enough people would vote for her.

The Shallow loss is inexcusable. I really thought she had that one in the bag.

The fact that she got SOTY this year proves the committee actively blocked AOTY and gave her a SOTY. It kind of shows they do like her, and probably want her to win, but with an original studio album with commercial/critical success.

9 hours ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

Also, in 2011 (for the 2012 ceremony), Judas was submitted for SOTY, when Born This Way and The Edge Of Glory both existed… :fail:

I think about this all the time. Like, I still seethe about those submissions.

3 points in and ready for more

HausOfMiklaus

She was never nominated for Best New Artist? That’s madness. I never knew. That would have been an easy win for her.

Bradley
15 hours ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

She didn't release many singles. It's not like G.U.Y. stood a chance.

At least she made Gypsy emotional at the artRAVE.

Archived