OBEY

ARTPOP vs JOANNE  

257 members have voted

1. 1. ARTPOP vs JOANNE

• ARTPOP
    • JOANNE

Featured Posts

Joanna

ARTPOP the lyrics are too immature and cringy sometimes, and the production sounded dated on arrival.

Joanna is more timeless and it has Million Reasons, Joanne and Just Another Slay.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edonis

I can't pick because it truly depends on my mood and what I want to listen to. I tend to prefer shorter albums though (akin to Joanne) but also really really enjoy some of the tracks on  ARTPOP with 2 of them being in my top 10 of her discography. It really depends. 

ARTPOPe

AURA | Diamond Heart
VENUS | A-Yo
G.U.Y. | Joanne (especially (Where Do You Think You’re Goin’?) (Piano Version))
SEXXX DREAMS | John Wayne
JEWELS N DRUGS | Dancin' In Circles
MANiCURE | Perfect Illusion
ARTPOP | Million Reasons
SWINE | Sinner's Prayer
DONATELLA | Come To Mama
FASHION! | Hey Girl
MARY JANE HOLLAND | Angel Down
DOPE | Grigio Girls
GYPSY | Just Another Day
APPLAUSE | Angel Down (Work Tape)

7/7  :poot:

Could have sworn it's ARTPOP, but I guess not :enigma:

Stream The Love Invention

monketsharona

ARTPOP everyday and beyond !

Listened to ARTPOP again today and it grew a lot on me through the years.

I got bored of Joanne not even few months after it was out. It's still my least favorite Gaga's album even if it's still good album)

magicalgaga

I always thought that ARTPOP was musically a much more interesting album. Most of the time the instrumentals and vocals are more important to me than the lyrics. That's not to say that I don't appreciate a well-written piece of lyrical art, of course not, it's just that especially with music that's sung in English (which isn't my first language) I put more value on the vocals and instrumentals. That's why ARTPOP, for me, is a better album than Joanne. Joanne didn't reach as high at least on the instrumental standards than ARTPOP. When talking about the music itself I always pick ARTPOP from these two. It's not my favourite but it holds a very special place in my heart. :koons: 

i was born this way, baby

DontDoubtDavid

As much as I loved ARTPOP and what it stood for, it was messy and that took away from the experience imho. Joanne, although a more stripped back album, was a lot better executed. There are some songs on that album that are  gems, and the album is more positive. So Joanne wins for me.

17 hours ago, FlopSlurper said:

Yeah even music wise, joanne was cute but nothing new. While the instrumentals on ARTPOP slap

Nothing new on ARTPOP either sorry, the instrumentals were actually tracks released years before that Gaga bought :toofunny:

FlopSlurper
7 minutes ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

Nothing new on ARTPOP either sorry, the instrumentals were actually tracks released years before that Gaga bought :toofunny:

only 3, that still sound fresher than anything on joanne

Tony31511

If I had to choose between the two, it would be ARTPOP. I'm a huge fan of pop music and she has a few great songs on there such as Do What U Want and Sexxx Dreams. The rest of the album is a little too generic for me and I almost feel as if it was a downgrade from Born This Way (which is my favorite album from her). As for Joanne, I'm just not interested in the genres and styles of music on that album. It's not bad and she has great vocals on each track but I'm more of a dance/pop/electronic/crazy-ga kind of fan.

The production of ARTPOP is weak and the whole era was a mess, but the highlights of the album are really something : Applause, Venus (((and the Venus era in Berlin, the nuggets costum, the Dalí look))) , Do What You Want (the original, not the garbage version with the girl with flippy-floppy albums, sorry) and ARTPOP.

Joanne has got several bops, but the whole body, for me, is boring. My fav tracks are Million Reasons, Joanne, John Wayne. 

So my vote goes to ARTPOP 

ARTPOP wasn't "safe", it was over-the-top, over-indulgent fun! Some of her best looks came out of that era, and many of my top Gaga looks were birthed during that time

While Joanne is touching and cute, I played it a fair bit when it came out and got bored of it by 2017. I never found the body of it fully cohesive or entirely enjoyable either. She needed to do Joanne, she had something to say with it and I get that. It came at the right time in her career and was a paramount move in rebuilding her image with the public, pre-ASIB. But I reach for ARTPOP more than any other Gaga album nowadays, whereas Joanne I reach for the least. You feel her pain in ARTPOP's music, her sadness, her anger. I like to think one day retrospective reviews of it will be positive and interpret it how I did when I first listened to it. Joanne was like a course correction for Gaga, ARTPOP was a full-blown unapologetic musical journey and was a reflection of her head at the time, even DWUW in its slightly twisted way. Art is subjective, and ARTPOP was completely subjective.

Archived