Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Shakira fought label to release Hips Don't Lie

Bambino

Featured Posts

Bambino
20 hours ago, Blue Champagne said:

But did Shakira get kicked out of her label for low sales? :coffee:

And Paulina was? For all you know, her contract with Universal most likely ended and she didn't wanna renew with them anymore after the way they've treating her lately. There isn't even an official statement whether she's still with or not anyway so don't go there.

StrawberryBlond

I'm not surprised she struggled to get mainstream, the Latin music explosion of the 90's (Selena, Marc Anthony, Glora Estefan, Enrique Iglesias, Ricky Martin - maybe Xtina and J-Lo when they did a Spanish version) had just finished by the time she hit the English market and labels probably didn't want to take a risk. But her success shows that labels don't always call it right. It's kinda a shame that she couldn't profit off the recent Latin resurgence but it's probably because her last album was put out before Despacito took off. Maybe she just needs the right exposure. I believe she was the first big name to use Maluma in a song when she put out Chantaje at the end of 2016. Now, a few English language singers (Flo Rida, French Montana, Ty Dolla $ign, Madonna) have put him on their songs, so she started something. Perhaps she planning to put out another Spanglish song, even if it's just some Spanish phrases here and there, in the hopes of making a comeback soon because her last album was 2.5 years ago. So saying, she hasn't released two Spanish albums in a row since her debut but that doesn't mean the whole album has to be in Spanish. Maybe she can use the SB next year to kick-start interest again.

23 hours ago, Alan123 said:

She rarely writes her own music anymore (nothing wrong with that) so that’s probably why I feel like her songs don’t sound as personal as they did but she’s still an icon. 

She still writes all her music. There's only one song on El Dorado that she didn't write and just 2 songs on her self-titled album that she didn't write before that. All her older work has her as a co-writer, so I don't know where you got this from. She's always been an artist who makes her own material.

sampool
22 hours ago, GagaInTheZone said:

Sounds like record labels are often clueless on music :smh: Hips Don't Lie is such a iconic hit

Record labels just want to release something profitable, HDL sounded nothing like what was playing on the radio at the time, Timbaland sound took over the industry, then you have shakira latin pop song. kudos to her for standing her ground. 

Archived