💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Lady Gaga Oscars Strained Vocals... Theory Why It Happened

Economy

Featured Posts

Economy

Some of us noticed her vocals were not as perfect as usual in this performance. They werent bad per say but they were a little strained at times

It just occured to me what may have caused it...

Gaga ALWAYS warms up her vocals before a performance. Weve seen her do that backstage all the time before big events like the SB, Grammys etc

Because she was sitting in the audience and went straight up she couldnt do her usual warm ups right before and without warm ups the vocal cords (which are a type of muscle) can get tight and not vibrate at 100% efficiency

thoughts?

dynamite

My thoughts are that it's possible but you are overthinking this and a slightly off performance can happen whether you've warmed up and are healthy or whether you have screaming diarrhea and bronchitis :neyde:

Economy
2 minutes ago, dynamite said:

My thoughts are that it's possible but you are overthinking this and a slightly off performance can happen whether you've warmed up and are healthy or whether you have screaming diarrhea and bronchitis :neyde:

True

but im thinking it may have contributed to it. It makes sense actually i think

Didymus

Tbh, she's just bad at singing this song, sorry but it's the truth :rip: I don't even know why, she always oversings the chorus which leads her to missing a lot of the notes. I think she's just trying to put too much passion into it or something :shrug:

To illustrate:

It's always the same thing: the "deep end", "dive in", "surface" and "hurt us" have literally always been off key every time I've heard it and the second high note is always bad. It's so consistently off it's actually kind of funny :ladyhaha:

No idea why this is happening. She tends to oversing a lot of her ballads. I never got it. We don't need that much power every vowel. Let the song breathe. Like rewind back a minute and hear her fan sing this song. So much better. Which is weird 'cause Gaga's the pro and she's not.

andy232000
2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Tbh, she's just bad at singing this song, sorry but it's the truth :rip: I don't even know why, she always oversings the chorus which leads her to missing a lot of the notes. I think she's just trying to put too much passion into it or something :shrug:

To illustrate:

It's always the same thing: the "deep end", "dive in", "surface" and "hurt us" have literally always been off key every time I've heard it and the second high note is always bad. It's so consistently off it's actually kind of funny :ladyhaha:

No idea why this is happening. She tends to oversing a lot of her ballads. I never got it. We don't need that much power every vowel. Let the song breathe.

Its just one of those songs that are hard to sing. She sucks at singing Perfect Illusion too 

Economy
2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

To illustrate:

No idea why this is happening. She tends to oversing a lot of her ballads. I never got it. We don't need that much power every vowel. Let the song breathe.

Yeah... she may be trying to sing it as powerful as the recorded version...

but in the studio version u can do it multiple times till u get it perfect... live if u miss it, you miss it

Christina Aguilera (my fav vocalist) has this nasty habbit

live she stretches to the limit, but when u go outside ur comfort zone sometimes ull miss the notes and key, and when its live if u make a mistake u cant undo it

Didymus
Just now, andy232000 said:

Its just one of those songs that are hard to sing. She sucks at singing Perfect Illusion too 

It's not that hard to sing. Gaga makes it hard by departing away from the studio version and cutting off her breath because of her newly chosen technique and her tendency to speed up the tempo.

That's my theory anyway. I think she's so wrapped up in the passion of the song that she forgets herself and stops thinking about what actually sounds better. It's been the same story with her Joanne and Million Reasons performances. Her comfort zone is to be loud, dramatic and theatrical and it works against the spirit of these songs :shrug: I'm just confused she doesn't realize that herself and keeps repeating her "mistake".

KatieJudasGaga4
8 minutes ago, Didymus said:

To illustrate:

No idea why this is happening. She tends to oversing a lot of her ballads. I never got it. We don't need that much power every vowel. Let the song breathe. Like rewind back a minute and hear her fan sing this song. So much better. Which is weird 'cause Gaga's the pro and she's not.

I think this one is good

Economy
1 minute ago, Didymus said:

It's not that hard to sing. Gaga makes it hard by departing away from the studio version and cutting off her breath because of her newly chosen technique and her tendency to speed up the tempo.

That's my theory anyway. I think she's so wrapped up in the passion of the song that she forgets herself and stops thinking about what actually sounds better. It's been the same story with her Joanne and Million Reasons performances. Her comfort zone is to be loud, dramatic and theatrical and it works against the spirit of these songs :shrug: I'm just confused she doesn't realize that herself and keeps repeating her "mistake".

I dont know much about vocal techniques

what did she change?

Didymus
35 minutes ago, Economy said:

Yeah... she may be trying to sing it as powerful as the recorded version...

but in the studio version u can do it multiple times till u get it perfect...

Also: in the studio version, if you listen closely, you can clearly hear that there's multiple tracks edited together which means Gaga is able to take a deep, solid breath before every line of that chorus. It's simply not possible to sing the studio version live as it is recorded. It requires too much breath in between the lines.

That's why the covers that did succeed at singing Shallow brilliantly usually slow down the song or shorten some of its vowels at the end of the melodies so they have time to get each one of those lines out comfortably. Again: just my interpretation, I'm not a vocal expert :rip:

Didymus
20 minutes ago, Economy said:

I dont know much about vocal techniques

what did she change?

She accentuates every vowel in that chorus instead of softening the ones at the end of the melodies (for example: instead of singing WAATCH AAS AAAYE DAAAAYVE AAAAN at the same volume as "I'm off the deep end" like she usually does, the studio version softens the vocals in that part so you get a nice loud-and-back-to-vulnerability dynamic in the chorus: Gaga just goes balls to the wall the whole way through).

PunkTheFunk

She was probably nervous and feeling slightly out of breath that night (jitters/adrenaline about winning her first OSCAR), so an already difficult song became even harder to sing. 

Economy
Just now, Didymus said:

She accentuates every vowel in that chorus instead of softening the ones at the end of the melodies (for example: instead of singing HUUURT UUUUUS like she usually does, the studio version softens the vocals in that part so you get a nice loud-and-back-to-vulnerability dynamic in the chorus).

Yes i noticed that

its one of the parts that i thought sounded bad in the Oscars performance

the end of “boy” in “tell me something boy” also sounded kinda bad at the Oscars :emma:

Archived