music news

Pop music peaked in 2009

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

HeavyCapiLover
16 minutes ago, Economy said:

Ppl remember the highlights and forget the mediocre fillers

The 80s are defined now by artists like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince etc

But if u actually went back in time to the 80s u would hear a lot of mediocre songs too that no one remembers now

So when u look back several years, in addition to nostalgia, our memories filtering of unmemoranle stuff also makes the era appear better than it really was

Even my dad said in his young years (80s) at the time these big artists that are remembered now, at the time were just big artists among many other artists and their hits just hits among other music...

But now people only remember these classic hits and names but they were by no means the entire industry at the time

They're always bad songs having success no matter what decade and what music trend it is. I think what defines a good period of music is the relevancy of the music trend and the way people keep refering to them as unforgettable or iconic. This is precisly why most people prefer way more the early 2010's than the mid and the late. Just like people would say that the best part of the 70's was the disco era

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HeavyCapiLover
7 minutes ago, Economy said:

I think 2016-2017 was maybe the worst for diversity... every song sounded the same

songs from JB like “let me love u” all sounded alike. Even Gagas The Cure had a simmilar sound (even tho i liked it)

I think weve rebounded from that low a bit. Mainstream Music in 2018 and 2019 is slightly more diverse i think

Especially in 2017, when pop music basically was dead (in 2018 too) trap and urban pop took over, that's why classic pop became boring and irrelevant, they did not know what to do anymore to be original. Personally I think that 2018 was the worst I was sick of these overrated mumble rap songs and Drake omg he's so overrated. Actually I really like 2017, there was good quality rap songs and album. I also liked the dancehall "peak" in 2016-17 it was interesting

StrawberryBlond

I definitely didn't like all the music released in 2009 but I get what this article's saying...which is that pop music FELT big back then. It felt massively successful, it felt important. Nowadays, pop music, while still existing, doesn't really make me feel as much as it used to. The last big pop superstar (as in, someone who has become globally famous and had multiple hits) is maybe Ariana. There have been some other names that were hyped up as going to be huge but haven't actually made it past more than one big hit yet (Dua Lipa, Camila Cabello, Billie Eilish, etc) and therefore, there's no gurantee that they're even going to have years in the industry ahead of them. So many of the new acts just don't have that wow factor that demands you pay attention to their work. I really don't know who's going to be the next huge pop name but we're in dire need of one. Like I said, Ariana may have been the last major pop superstar created but she's still not reached Gaga/Katy/Adele's level and they started out in 2008. It's been over a decade since we had a major superstar of their level. Maybe it's because 3 were conceived in a single year that it was obviously going to be a while until the next one came along.

Archived