Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Pitchfork: FKA twigs's Magdalene: 9.4

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

fka-twigs-magdalene-1572445896-640x640.jpgFrom her first video, 2012’s mesmerizing “Hide,” the singular focus of her vision was apparent, a holistic project that rendered FKA twigs’ operatic approach to club beats inextricable from her astounding art direction. In the seven years since, she has made her art into a kind of theatrical multimedia experience, crafting elaborate shows and videos that intertwine and smudge the lines of classicism and the avant-garde. 

Yet in spite of twigs’ distinctive soprano (spectral and often papery) and her experimental production (stunning and often bellicose), her music has resonated best as a part of a whole, a piece that propels her full-blown artistry but does not totally comprise it. Chalk this up to twigs’ innovation in the Eyeballs Epoch, but even 2015’s incredible M3LL155X EP—a brooding and serrated read on genres like industrial, ballroom house, and triple-time rap—centered adventurousness over melody. 

FKA-twigs-holy-terrain.jpeg“thousand eyes” opens MAGDALENE with twigs singing in the austere polyphony of Medieval church music, a meditation on the moment before a permanent departure that, with repetition, reveals itself as a hymn. It’s a prologue for an album whose songs are produced like narratives, with a beginning, climax, and denouement. 

MAGDALENE is visceral and direct, but despite featuring a trunk-thumping Future collaboration (“holy terrain”), this is not a play to make pop music in the charts-humping sense. It’s a document of twigs’ marked achievements in songwriting and musicality as she elucidates her melodies without sacrificing her viewpoint. “sad day,” one of MAGDALENE’s most astonishing tracks, finds twigs properly genuflecting at the altar of Kate Bush, clearly having learned from her ability to translate inner sanctum into cinematic, Shelleyan alt-pop. 

Source: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/fka-twigs-magdalene/?fbclid=IwAR3NTo6ABJSqJ-ZzqZxGgJD7_EeUo4c4NqIjdZ7qn4ja0Iud8jffPIcWilQ

This is, in my opinion one of the rather rare occasions when they get it right. :enigma:

It also tied Lana's NFR as the biggest score ever given by Pitchfork to a female artist and given that the albums were interestingly released close to each other, it seems that female artist are starting to be embraced more by critics.

screen-11.54.54%255B08.11.2019%255D.pngscreen-11.52.47%255B08.11.2019%255D.png

BleepBloop

This puts so many things into perspective. Others should take notes. Farting out albums every year don't make no cents, luv

BleepBloop
13 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

Amazing

Reveal hidden contents

BUT high critic scores aren‘t everything. Just saying.

Well if you're talking about charts; they actually don't mean sh*t:bon:

Ryusei
7 minutes ago, Sneaky said:

Well if you're talking about charts; they actually don't mean sh*t:bon:

Both of those things lol

Musery

Lana and FKA setting the bar for the girls :applause:. It's a masterpiece, cellophane is my favourite - hit me on a different level to the others :nooo:

2 hours ago, S0436 said:

It’s a shame that is how many people will buy it

I...that's horrible...but I did laugh :icega::laughga::messga:

15 minutes ago, ice bear said:

i screamed

when will Lorde now :heart:

Lorde already got a 91 on Metacritic 2 years ago :heart: Why do you ask?

OT: It’s what she deserves. sad day and mary madgalene go the **** off.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

Just now, gag said:

Lorde already got a 91 on Metacritic 2 years ago :heart: Why do you ask?

OT: It’s what she deserves. sad day and mary madgalene go the **** off.

oh! that's amazing!!!

i don't keep up with critic reviews so i didn't know

i stan verified quality :firega:

ice heard one side from above

FfFfFfFF
7 hours ago, Sneaky said:

This puts so many things into perspective. Others should take notes. Farting out albums every year don't make no cents, luv

We read between the lines. :fan:

296d2bfe46bdfcf15171f6d424f9b0c1.jpg

Archived