• Created
  • Last Reply
ANTI WP
4 minutes ago, Evan Peters said:

can't wait for the basic white actresses to show up in something not on theme 

You forgot the shawn basic mentos 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStOBL8QUNsq7rZw6BrYg9

anomdepllume

Gaga is fully perfect for this. Can't wait to see what folks bring to the carpet, (and I can't wait to give disapproving looks to those who don't show up on theme while I sit on my couch in thrift store jorts).

All I know is that will attend, and GGD will create rumors about her releasing the LG6 lead single on the next day. But it will come out months later :emma:

Antichrist
40 minutes ago, VOLANTIS said:

Can't wait to see what daring and ground breaking bland black suits all the straight men will bring on to the red carpet. I'm shaking. 

talk about singling out & belittling a group of people. did you like that when people did it to gays?

Customzanotti

I dont really see the connection between fashion & duration and the pompadour aesthetic, i'm imagining more of a high-tech-future meets extravagant & luxurious past

Pompom hole n streets w/ ma heels

Ryusei
17 minutes ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

All I know is that will attend, and GGD will create rumors about her releasing the LG6 lead single on the next day. But it will come out months later :emma:

Dont forget about „Gaga to perform at the MET Gala?“

Musery

Katharine Hepburn

Can't wait for poorly researched historical fashions :enigma:

I hope someone can at least serve a sickening 1860s silhouette 

xoxo Joanne

VOLANTIS
32 minutes ago, Antichrist said:

talk about singling out & belittling a group of people. did you like that when people did it to gays?

gays would never periodttt.

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

2 hours ago, YourWhiskyMouth said:

Incoming 100 basics showing up dressed as Marie Antoinette 

tenor.gif?itemid=6215738

God help us...reading the full Vogue article, I can see  a designer/stylist, one that really sits and thinks about inspiration, not just imitation, from the past; and a client who, well, isn't a no-fun wuss about it all, could make/style something really intriguing.

And of course...*sigh*...I got  curious. :excited2:

In a press release, Max Hollein, director of the Met, elaborated on the concept: “This exhibition will consider the ephemeral nature of fashion, employing flashbacks and fast-forwards to reveal how it can be both linear and cyclical.” Bolton will highlight a variety of “folds in time.” They could include comparisons between two designers of different eras, like Alaïa‎ and Vionnet or Poiret and Galliano. “Or it might be juxtapositions between two designers from a certain period who were competitive, and one survived and one didn’t,” like “Chanel and Patou in the ’20s and Rei Kawakubo and Georgina Godley in the ’80s.”

It’s useful to think of these “counter-chronologies” or “folds” as connections. Bolton makes them across shape, motif, material, pattern, technique, and decoration. Among his favorites: the relationship between a black silk faille princess-line dress from the late 1870s and an Alexander McQueen “bumster” skirt from 1995. “Over the years, McQueen continually worked with this elongated silhouette—the princess line basically—and I’ve always felt that the bumster was the most radical version of the way he achieved it.”  

So, I researched the examples in this excerpt to  try and break down the concept of the theme:

McQueen and the princess line...

The princess line was considered the first body contouring design because it fit so closely to a womans natural form. This design removed the bustle,  which, in a way, showed off more of ones... assets.

I gathered this from a satire commentary from a costumers blog I found:  "1878 – This princess line gown shows off my naturally-enhanced-by-a-corset form perfectly. I’ll never hide my glorious bum under a bustle again! What a folly!"  (https://thepragmaticcostumer.wordpress.com/2016/06/24/the-genteel-fashionistas-dialogue-a-humorous-timeline-of-fashion/)

Now flash forward to McQueens 1996 "bumsters"!!!

1975.227.3_S.jpg?resize=676,1156&ssl=100DD74F300000190-2852126-image-12_141717

1975.227.3_F2.jpg?resize=768,1565&ssl=1Screen-Shot-2015-05-07-at-1.10.55-AM.png

Like they said, he continued to work this 1870s  princess line until he got this radical 1990s design. One that accented form and highlighted one's God given...bustle. 

Herein lies the theme of time!:  “counter-chronologies” or “folds” as connections"! He continues: “What the dual timelines try to unravel is that tension in fashion between change and endurance, and transience and permanence."

The line changed but endured. Styles of an era are transient, yet have permanence!

FYI The "bumster" would go on to inspire the return of the lowrise jean through the 00s ( and the birth of the ubiquitous "whale tail"). And get ready cus low-rise has been in a lot of recent runways. Including Matthew Williams' Alyx show.

1252989.jpg

McQueen SS19

https://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/41876/1/low-slung-trouser-trend-2018-low-rise-jeans-00s-nostalgia-mcqueen-bumsters

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

Archived