💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Gaga about self-harming and PTSD (sensitive content)

Hebi

Featured Posts

(Gaga) When I won the Oscar for “Shallow,” I looked at it, and a reporter asked me, “When you look at that Oscar, what do you see?” And I said, “I see a lot of pain.” And I wasn’t lying in that moment. I was raped when I was 19 years-old, repeatedly. I have been traumatized in a variety of ways by my career over the years from many different things, but I survived, and I’ve kept going.

(Oprah) The pain that you had taken to get there. Because when you’re raped, particularly repeatedly and at that age, you would have PTSD for years about that.

(Gaga) I have PTSD. I have chronic pain. Neuropathic pain trauma response is a weekly part of my life. I’m on medication; I have several doctors. This is how I survive. But you know what, Oprah? I kept going, and that kid out there or even that adult out there who’s been through so much, I want them to know that they can keep going, and they can survive, and they can win their Oscar. 

(...) I’ve actually not opened up very much about this, but I think it’s an important thing for people to know and hear: I was a cutter for a long time, and the only way that I was able to stop cutting and self-harming myself was to realize that what I was doing was trying to show people that I was in pain instead of telling them and asking for help. When I realized that telling someone, “Hey, I am having an urge to hurt myself,” that defused it. I then had someone next to me saying, “You don’t have to show me. Just tell me: What are you feeling right now?” And then I could just tell my story. I say that with a lot of humility and strength; I’m very grateful that I don’t do it anymore, and I wish to not glamorize it. One thing that I would suggest to people who struggle with trauma response or self-harm issues or suicidal ideation is actually ice. If you put your hands in a bowl of ice-cold water, it shocks the nervous system, and it brings you back to reality.

(Oprah) Have you also used DBT therapy?

(Gaga) I actually have a teacher; I take dialectical behavioral therapy. I think that DBT is a wonderful, wonderful way to deal with mental health issues.

(Oprah) I want to know, What did you once believe was insurmountable, and in the end, you realized, the solution was so easy?

(Gaga) I once believed that there was no way back from my trauma. I really did. I was in physical, mental, and emotional pain. And medicine works, but you need medicine with the therapy for it to really work, because there’s a part that you have to do yourself.

(Oprah) Is this suffering from your fibromyalgia?

It is. Although there are many different theories about fibromyalgia—for me, my fibromyalgia and my trauma response kind of go hand in hand. The fibro for me is a lighter pain; the trauma response is much heavier and actually feels the way I felt after I was dropped on a street corner after I’d been raped repeatedly for months. It’s a recurring feeling. So I had a psychotic break at one point, and it was one of the worst things that’s ever happened to me. I was brought to the ER to urgent care and they brought in the doctor, a psychiatrist. So I’m just screaming, and I said, “Could somebody bring me a real doctor?” And I didn’t understand what was going on, because my whole body went numb; I fully dissociated. I was screaming, and then he calmed me down and gave me medication for when that happens—olanzapine.

You can read the full interview here: https://www.elle.com/culture/music/a29683686/lady-gaga-haus-laboratories-elle-interview/?utm_campaign=likeshopme&utm_medium=instagram&utm_source=dash hudson&utm_content=www.instagram.com/p/B4hnOvinh29/

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the success... her life is far from being perfect...  is kind of  sad, too much pain. The fame monster has never left.

StarstruckIllusion

The psychotic break got to me... **** I was so sad. I’m so happy she’s in a better place now. 

It’s also the first time she’s said she’s been raped repeatedly... hello! Progress. She’s really healing and I love that. We might actually get his name in another 5-10 years. 

holy scheisse

I love this bish

Dbt is usually used for borderline personality disorder. I could see that with Gaga tbh 

I used to cut a few years ago as well, so this hits close to home. Add being famous on top of all of her pain and it's a wonder she's strong enough to persevere.

I feel like we’ve only scratched the surface of the trauma she’s been thru! Every now and then we hear a little bit more. We’ll never know everything but she really has gone thru a hell of a lot. Look how far she has come! Look at the beautiful human she became. And look at how she’s using it to help others! I’ll never understand how anyone could have anything ugly to say about her! :heart:

LostBoyfriend

That's so courageous of her to speak so freely about it, she has never talked this way about it.

But also, where could she cut herself? I mean we've seen almost her entire body and I had never once saw anyone talking about scars on her body or something.

andy232000

I used to cut too for many different reasons, but the way she says it is so truthful. Everyone shames cutters and calls us attention whores, well guess what? Its true. We cut because its a cry for help. I remember doing it and then hoping someone would notice my scars and ask if I was ok so I could talk, and there is absolutely no shame in that. Sometimes just asking for help in the conventional way is not the easiest 

Phaye Monster

It breaks my heart so much to read this, but I am grateful for her sharing this story because her message of survival is so important. It’s reassuring to know that if Lady Gaga can survive the awful pain that she went through, anyone can, and I’m glad that that’s the message she’s putting out. I do sincerely hope that she’s happier now, both with herself and her career. 

I'm an ARTPOP bitch, baby

Kimblue
21 minutes ago, andy232000 said:

I used to cut too for many different reasons, but the way she says it is so truthful. Everyone shames cutters and calls us attention whores, well guess what? Its true. We cut because its a cry for help. I remember doing it and then hoping someone would notice my scars and ask if I was ok so I could talk, and there is absolutely no shame in that. Sometimes just asking for help in the conventional way is not the easiest 

:hug:

Same, it means a lot to me that she opened up about this.

I hate to read these things, because I love her so much and never like to think about her being in so much pain, and experiencing such awfulness. 

But I think it’s so important and powerful that she is so open. As someone who’s first impulse always is to hide my negative feelings, it really helps me so much. 

Archived