💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Shane Dawson & Jeffree Star

xcx

Featured Posts

gagaxsebert

I’m not going to comment about the racist stuff because, I’m white, and I feel it’s not my place to say if they’re to be forgiven or not.

but... I don’t mind jeffree and Shane really, they are very entertaining together and they seem like decent people. It’s obvious the series is a long ad but idc cause content is content.

I do get tired of Shane acting poor (still) & getting really excited about the money (everyone can get excited but he acts like he’s going from $2 to $20M which is not true cause he is very well off kinda like rags to riches). He might be interested in the make up really but it comes off as in-genuine because it’s all about the money.

basically I’m enjoying the series but what Shane was saying it was all about at first was the secrets of the beauty community and all that when really the only “secrets” we really got were in that first business meeting. So I was a little let down when it was just pallet pallet pallet 

Used to be HighRoad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say this. Has Shane and Jeffree done and said some not okay things in the past? Of course they have, but they've made an honest effort to correct their wrongs and that's really the most you can ask for. I just cant hold onto someone's past like that, especially for such correctable mistakes, when I know I've said and done a lot of things I regret in the past too. You don't have to forgive/forget, but you do have to let go and move on eventually. Things have changed a lot this past decade, and they've tried to do a lot of good and make up for their mistakes.

As for the James/Tati/Jeffree situation, I believe that that was just the tip of the iceberg that was the breaking point, that there was a lot more going on behind the scenes and I just can't form an opinion on everything when we know what there was so much more that didn't come to light. Something major had to have happened for Jeffree, Tati and the rest of his close friends like Emma and the Dolan twins to also break ties with him. Im sorry, it just doesn't make any sense for them just to gang up on him cause they can. Jeffree's merch company was the company behind Sisters apparel and James and Jeffree both we're making millions off of it. Tati helped James make it in LA and helped him get and negotiate the deals he deserved and really tried to promote his brand. As for the Dolan twins, do you really think they would still be close friends with Jeffree and not James after Jeffree  accused James of sexual assault against one of them if there wasn't a little bit of truth behind it. I'm sorry, but nothing adds up, something major happened behind the cameras that made them cut ties and it's hard for me to sit here and really form such a passionate opinion and pick a side when we obviously know little about the entire situation. It more than likely ended because legal action was probably threatened and i highly doubt they wanted to deal with lawsuits and the sorts.

And the series, of course it's an advertisement for the collection, they've made that 100% clear since the beginning that the series is supposed to be an ad. But it doesn't mean that their friendship is just for monetary gain. The point of this series was to hype up the collection while showing an unprecedented amount of the beauty world that the average consumer never sees, and that's exactly what they're doing. And yeah, Shane is new to makeup, he's still really learning, but let's not discount his passion behind the project because he obviously cares a lot about it. And yeah, money is a big thing, who wouldn't want $20M? But you can't just write it off as a cash grab. 

LeJudas
1 hour ago, Ryusei said:

I‘m done... i‘m not gonna discuss further here it‘s honestly tiring seeing everyone follow shane like a bunch of sheep...

K

JohnnyVersace

Everyone has a past. Everyone has said **** things. Everyone has been insensitive, misinformed and misguided at some point in their lives. I don't condone their past behavior, but I'd say that both are on a path towards what's good and right tbh. 

They're both already rich, and have the privilege of doing this together as friends. Yeah, there's a ton of money in it. There's also a ton of money in Haus Labs, Kylie Cosmetics, KKW Beauty, Sephora, any other beauty brand. Plus, Shane actually does seem to be very interested in it atm. Maybe it hasn't always been a passion, but that doesn't mean that interests can shift. 

Why chastise them for honestly showing how it's done from start to finish? I think it's been cool to see as someone who's interested in the beauty industry. 

Alannah

So much of the James/Tati/Jeffree drama is coated in legal action - Tati's known for having her lawyers up her sleeves due to her husband's "business" troubles. No one is innocent in the way that was handled, even James. 

I've watched Shane since he did his first green screen video (it was a "Don't Trust Me" Sarah Palin parody, a true trip if you've never seen his old stuff before) - he's never had the cleanest record but I do believe he's been further educated and has apologized more than enough times. Shane, while not hurting for money, does deserve fair compensation for his contributions to the YouTube (and now the makeup) industry. Whether you like the content or not. I said to my roommate yesterday, "I can't believe I'm getting teary-eyed over rich people getting richer." The quality is there and it's the first time, in a long time, I've been inspired by a palette. He put in the work and deserves all the success from it. Jeffree was and continues to be a shock artist, so I understand folks not being on board. I enjoy his makeup and will continue to buy it as his shadows are some of the best cruelty-free products you can get. 

Obviously, yes, this is a cash grab - but what business transaction isn't? Shane and Jeffree could have very well just slapped their names on a cardboard palette and still sold out. Anastasia is doing that right now and getting exposed for it.  People are saying, "Shane doesn't care about the makeup" - that's true for a lot of executives in the industry. :laughga:  (Also, that sentiment is untrue otherwise we would have seen a way shottier product.) I'm excited for a fresh perspective and a color story that isn't bronze-based nudes. 

I wish we did get more into the ingredients and whatnot, but he also can't let too much of his process be put out there. Dupes are already a huge controversy in the industry and I understand keeping some confidentiality in that regard. 

I understand that now it is seen as wrong and racially offensive, but you have to realise that racial stereotypes and things back then were MUCH more common especially within comedy. If you are from the UK and ever watched the show Little Britain, this was a loved comedy sketch show but now you simply could not air it because it plays on racial stereotypes. I'm glad we are in a place now where that sort of stuff is frowned upon, but to hold a 10 or 15 year old comedy sketch up to the standards of today isn't really fair when it was more widely accepted back then (NOT saying it was right though). And of course the series is for money, this is their careers, its their job, they need to make money. As for James Charles I can't comment as I don't keep up on the happenings of pre teen YouTube dramas.

50 minutes ago, Felixorfelicia said:

I wasn’t even trying to prove you wrong. Please stop. ALL i said was just move on if you don’t like them, instead of starting whole online discussions about 2 ppl you don’t even like! 

I wanted to start discussions about them because I don’t like them. It’s easy to say “just move on” when you’re not affected at all by a situation.

1 hour ago, M Monstre said:

So I’m obviously saying this from the perspective of a fan, but I genuinely think that the hate that Jeffree and Shane get is so unwarranted. With the whole racism scandal (for both of them), I mean, there’s nothing they can do but apologize for that. Obviously (at least to me it’s obvious), both Jeffree and Shane are not racist, and to insinuate that they are after years  of them apologizing is a low blow, to be honest. Like what do you want them to do? Go back in time and change that? 

As for the James Charles thing, I mean, everyone involved in that went a little too far. That whole mess was totally unnecessary and we could’ve lived without it. 

Finally regarding the documentary, of course it’s an advertisement. You obviously don’t watch cause Shane and Jeffree have stated that multiple times. They’re not trying to “disguise” anything. Besides, people aren’t that stupid. No one’s going to be like “OH THEY ONLY MADE THIS TO ADVERTISE THE PALETTE! THEY’RE SO MANIPULATIVE I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!” 

The documentaries Shane and Andrew have  been making are so beyond anything that anyone has ever done on YouTube, it baffles me why people **** all over them. Like if y’all wanna sit there and watch meme reviews and vine compilations for an hour, go ahead, but don’t take away from the fact that what Shane is making is great content, objectively speaking. You may not like the content—I myself wasn’t a fan of the Jake Paul series—but I can still appreciate the quality.

I wouldn’t say people **** all over them when they generally receive positive feedback and get tens of millions of views. However, I don’t like a lot of his documentaries because they just seem to be trying to show the good side of problematic people (Jake Paul, Tana, & Jeffree) while sweeping things under the rug. 

Reality
18 minutes ago, xcx said:

I wouldn’t say people **** all over them when they generally receive positive feedback and get tens of millions of views. However, I don’t like a lot of his documentaries because they just seem to be trying to show the good side of problematic people (Jake Paul, Tana, & Jeffree) while sweeping things under the rug. 

Well I mean considering that Shane gets”cancelled” a few times a year, I’d say that there’s definitely a group of people who just **** on him and his content. 

In regards to the part about him making content revolving problematic people, I think that’s somewhat valid. With the Jake Paul series, the reason I didn’t really like that series that much was because Jake Paul didn’t seem genuine or authentic. In that case, it very much seemed like a stunt (on Jake’s end, not necessarily Shane’s).

With Tana, I personally don’t like her that much, but I wouldn’t say that the Tanacon series was necessarily about Shane trying to show that Tana was “good”. It was more about him trying to figure out what went wrong with Tanacon as a whole.

Finally, with Jeffree, I don’t know maybe it’s just me, but I see him as someone who’s very different than Tana and Jake Paul. He seems genuine in a lot of things he does and says, and his interaction with Shane is unlike anyone else I’ve seen. Yes, he’s said some awful stuff in the past, and no one’s trying to defend that, but at the same time, in my opinion, there is absolutely no point in talking about something someone said YEARS ago after they’ve continually apologized for it.

đŸƒđŸ–€đŸ‘č

Nobody was a victim in that drama, That “drama” was obviously staged from all sides, and it helped everyone get more attention, leading to more money. 

JesseBabe

I don't know if Jeffree's changed exactly. I feel like he lashes out, says insensitive things, and then tries to come off as the bigger person. Are we all going to pretend like he hasn't called black women "gorillas", threaten to beat them up, and called James a rapist with no proof? That's all happened within a couple of years! When he claims he's changed I just roll my eyes. To me, actions speak louder than words, and his actions are all over the place, still. His makeup is good, but you can't deny he's problematic.  

I've also tried watching the documentary and honestly, it's so boring and all over the place. Shane includes all of this unnecessary content that has nothing to do with the story line when literally, all the videos could have been trimmed of at least 20 minutes of footage. When the video is titled "The Beautiful World of Jeffree Star", why do I honestly need random footage of Shane complaining and being self deprecating? It got old really quick. When he spent 20 minutes complaining about being poor as he was getting ready in his walk in closet, in his Calabasas mansion, to fly private, I had to laugh. I also don't think he cares one bit about make up, all he sees is dollar signs. It's blatantly obvious and it's very clear he has no idea what he's doing.

I understand it's a cash grab, and that's why I don't take any of it that serious. It's just an unnecessarily long ad for his make up pallete.  I thought this series was going to dive deep into the makeup world and talk about all of the drama and such that goes along with it, but in actuality I get 20 minutes each episode of Shane's life where he makes self deprecating jokes, complains the entire time, choppy editing, and stale old tea. 

Felixorfelicia
2 hours ago, xcx said:

I wanted to start discussions about them because I don’t like them. It’s easy to say “just move on” when you’re not affected at all by a situation.

Okay. Just curious, how are you affected by two men making an eyeshadow palette?

Tease it to Jesus

you are totally right. Jeffree is truly an evil person masking as a nice guy. Shane on the other hand I feel isn't truly evil or cruel. He has a heart, conscious and feels genuine guilt when he does something wrong. He was/is just ignorant and easily misled imo. But I agree.

ltlmnstr
15 hours ago, Karl said:

I understand that now it is seen as wrong and racially offensive, but you have to realise that racial stereotypes and things back then were MUCH more common especially within comedy. If you are from the UK and ever watched the show Little Britain, this was a loved comedy sketch show but now you simply could not air it because it plays on racial stereotypes. I'm glad we are in a place now where that sort of stuff is frowned upon, but to hold a 10 or 15 year old comedy sketch up to the standards of today isn't really fair when it was more widely accepted back then (NOT saying it was right though). And of course the series is for money, this is their careers, its their job, they need to make money. As for James Charles I can't comment as I don't keep up on the happenings of pre teen YouTube dramas.

10 years ago is 2009

15 years ago is 2004

It was wrong then. Quit saying it wasn't because Black people did speak out against as much as they spoke out against the Bush Administration. 

That myspace skit was lambasted and controversial when it was posted back then. I can actually legit say I was there.

Black media has always highlighted these prejudices and did anyone listen?

Obviously not since y'all are so ready to brush it off. 

Go find the old forums. Start with BlackPlanet.

Archived