• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Madling
2 hours ago, FentyGa said:

i mean

who knows her career better than we do?

besides her of course

and of course we should be kinder as a group and such...but i think our concern regarding her voice is reasonable. 

at the end of the day, it all comes from a place of love and care

its not kind, loving or caring for accounts she follows to post if that is losing her voice, or that she sounds really bad compared to 2 years ago etc knowing damn well she can see it.  As usual her fans are the worst. 

I'm going to say it again, she has the most critical and mocking fandom i have ever seen. We all actually don't deserve her and one of these days you all are going to realize that. 

Oh and those twitter stan accounts that you all follow who mock her 80% of the time are not actually fans.  They are there for likes, retweets, clout and attention. 

HookerOnAChurch

I'm a singer / songwriter, being a hotel manager is just a replace of my dream.. basically. but back on topic.. from my experience with Fibromyalgia, you have to understand that it's very hard to deal with  this tremendous disease. I call it my bastard bitch pain.. You can keep under control, but "she" always come back and most of the times it brings musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. It's not easy.. Her voice could be like that maybe because in some specific moments she was in pain, severe pain. 

Franch Toast
21 minutes ago, Madling said:

FYI OP  this topic choice isn't helping if you want to talk about Google searches... 

Well, now we have two active threads with armchair experts critiquing her supposedly "strained" voice, as if one wasn't already enough. Now we can double the Google search hits. 

She/Her/Hers

Oriane
1 hour ago, derpmonster said:

It's too early for that to happen to Gaga's voice. Her voice has actually gained richness. Her strain is different from that. Her tone has improved I would say.

I think you're a little bit mistaken here. She used to push even back then but her voice was higher and she could get away with pushing at those high notes. Pre-Fame, she even shouted her way through G5s. If you notice in her performances since JWT, ASIB, and now (except the last few), she actually uses her head voice much more instead of belting. That helps make those notes not shouty. She is just used to belting and it's the thing she's most trained in, so she tries to hit D5s and E5 in her full voice. She needs to be more careful and use her head voice and mixed voice for those notes until her voice recovers. And she has done a lot of that lately (again, ignoring the last few performances).

I totally agree ! I really love how her tone has been sounding like these last few years. She gives me chills even when she's singing simple notes, especially in her Your Song rendition, just the verses make me emotional.

Her voice was definitely a lot worse at the beginning than it is now, people tend to forget that. Smoking and drugs really altered her voice during the Fame era and it took some time for her to recover. She had a nice tone during TFM but her voice didn't seem so strong. I think ARTPOP is really when she started sounding her best, she was comfortable and didn't need to use a girly voice like in BTW.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

ltlmnstr

I don't have anything to add but that vocal nodes are more common in female bodied individuals than male bodied individuals.

She might need to get that checked...

And quitting smoking is always a plus 

derpmonster
1 hour ago, PACGAGA said:

Just as a reference for y’all. 

a women’s vocal peak is at around age 30. 

Debatable (speaking as a vocal student). There are many old timey ideas like this with no basis that were especially sexist. 

Pablo Piccaso said a "woman" at 17 is at her sexual prime. Should we believe him? 

43 minutes ago, Oriane said:

I totally agree ! I really love how her tone has been sounding like these last few years. She gives me chills even when she's singing simple notes, especially in her Your Song rendition, just the verses make me emotional.

Her voice was definitely a lot worse at the beginning than it is now, people tend to forget that. Smoking and drugs really altered her voice during the Fame era and it took some time for her to recover. She had a nice tone during TFM but her voice didn't seem so strong. I think ARTPOP is really when she started sounding her best, she was comfortable and didn't need to use a girly voice like in BTW.

You're absolutely right. Her tone since the JWT has been remarkable. 

And yes, ARTPOP was the first album to actually have her showcase her vocals on it. It was the beginning of the strong vocal era for her that led into C2C, Oscars, and Joanne. 

Her voice changed between BTW and ARTPOP and maybe it was that she wasn't putting on a voice anymore but it's also that her voice was maturing. She was in her late 20s. Her voice got stronger, I remember reading she did more training post-hip surgery. And what many people don't know is that she recorded much of C2C before ARTPOP. 

Our girl managed to get her voice that strong despite everything that was going on in her life in the pre-ARTPOP era. And despite being back on some drugs once the era started, she was able to transition into C2C era live performances which were fantastic. And then of course her Oscars and Imagine at Baku performance that left Azerbaijan shaking forever. :firega:

She is smart. When she posted about not smoking cigarettes (delete file), it's clear she's preparing to be able to record an album properly. I don't think LG6 is coming soon or that it's done and frankly we shouldn't pressure her at this point. She just had another bad relationship and she's drinking again. 

I'd rather she take her time, rest, work on her voice and her mind, feel free and creative, then drop LG6 well into 2020 than rush it. 

I keep repeating this but Bobby if you're reading this (and I know we Little Managers are annoying), make sure she's drinking enough water consistently. That's the best fix for most voice issues.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

jezze0410

Firstly, to echo what has already been said, it is only natural that Gaga's voice is discussed here in greater detail than anywhere else, as this is a site dedicated to obsessing over every little thing she does. It is also natural that this fan base critiques and analyses her voice more closely than that of most other pop artists', as so many of us are musically trained and/or music theatre nerds. Gaga is also a very meta artist, known for frank discussions of her own fame/career and treating her stardom as an artwork in itself, which invites us fans to analyse her in great detail.

Secondly, I don't see the problem in pointing out flaws in Gaga's vocal performances. Gaga's vocal brand has never been perfection; I think, in the current pop scene, she is the most versatile vocalist, has the best breath control and one of the most pleasant sounding vibratos, and emotes most effectively. I don't go to Gaga for perfect intonation, crystal clear tone, and insane vocal acrobatics, and I don't think Gaga prioritises these qualities when she performs. This is not to say that she is not capable of these things when the occasion calls for it (ILNA is vocal perfection, as is the album version of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood). We know that Gaga often suffers from a great deal of pain, physical and emotional, which inevitably negatively impact her voice--which makes the flaws in her voice not only powerful expressions of her pain, but also proof of her dedication to us fans. 

Finally, regarding fears of vocal deterioration, I think the combination of Gaga's solid vocal technique, her love for singing, and her vocal coaches means her instrument will remain healthy for the duration of her career. Her voice will inevitably change as she matures, but that just means that she can tackle whole new styles and genres of music! Kate Bush and Stevie Nicks are examples of pop artists who have constantly adapted their music to suit their maturing voices, and if Gaga's vocal evolution follows theirs then we're seriously in for a treat :D

Glamourpuss

I haven't paid attention to Enigma recently to know what her voice sounds like. 

I know that Gaga's voice, especially for a pop star is the best in the business and we all stan her for her voice. The Sound of Music performance is a special one we all love and because of that we hold Gaga to a high standard. If she's not performing 100% perfectly then we perceive it to be a flawed performance. But we need to give Gaga a break. She is only human after all. If the girl wants to smoke and drink in her down time, let her. It's not fair for us to expect her to always be working on improving. I know her whole career depends on it and millions of people adore that voice. But the person who owns that voice needs to be able to live her life. 

I think it's unfair how she can deliver a performance so moving and that she worked so hard on, such as Shallow at The Oscars and people **** on it because it's not good enough for Gaga's standards. I thought it was perfect. :diane:

Also, I don't like Gaga smoking either but the irony is, if she read this thread she probably lit up afterwards. :huntyga:

LilyLark

Critics, even some who are pretty harsh, raved over her vocals at the Apollo just a few months ago. Some critics have said her voice is even better now....It's basically some fans and anti-stans coming for her over the occasional small error or even when there's nothing wrong.

It is true that many singers start to have their voice change in their early 30s, but Gaga has excellent technique and training which should help her with any issues. The change can be minimal, and Gaga's never been a "whisper" singer which does the most damage. She also implied she quit smoking, and smoking is the main danger for singers. It's extremely rare for her to sound strained, and when she makes errors (like all do) they are usually pretty small.

I said this on the other post, but also brief clips filmed on camera phones, with background noise, never sound as good as being in person or a performance captured by better equipment. So the fact that people use that to judge is also..whatever.

LGMonster95

She's just a bit tired sometimes from the effort and all the stuff from her life, you can clearly hear how she sounds great in other performances without having a problem, if her vocals were damaged she'll have sounded weird many times which is totally not the case with her.

Archived