💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why Katy Perry's latest songs don't click?

Rino

Featured Posts

The good sis has graced us with 4 new songs back to back (365, Never Really Over, Small Talk and Harleys in Hawaii), but none of them managed to become hits. 

What went wrong? I would like to know your opinions sistrens.

I mean I'm rooting for Katy and it just seems so bizarre to see her flop 4 times in a row :cryga: 

月にかわって、おしおきよ!🌙

Scarlet Bitch

tbh i don't understand the robbery of nro :saladga:

and small talk / harleys in hawaii are just too forgettable... :madge:

𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔦𝔰 𝔪𝔶 𝔡𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢 𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔬𝔯, 𝔦 𝔣𝔬𝔲𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯

chromaticka

the gp isnt here for her anymore, and she doesnt have the talent to back it up. she wont even be charting anymore in 2-3 years. its sad you know...

I Met Lady Gaga On February 7th, 2016; Attended Superbowl 51 and Coachella 2017.

Bradley

Sonically, they are things that she's done for three eras already. I love all four songs but they're not exactly reinventions of herself.

Katy doesn't surprise us with something new. Joanne and A Star Is Born wowed the GP, tons of people are saying how they could finally relate to Gaga emotionally for the first time, and how they find her natural beauty very appealing. Cheek to Cheek also established her as a vocal powerhouse.

What's the most drastic reinvention Katy has ever done for herself? She's been making pop music with colourful and vibrant imagery ever since Teenage Dream.

Also she started off this era with 365, a collaboration with Zedd, which took away the 'lead-single hype'. She also released Con Calma and Cozy Little Christmas before, so she's never really been away. The GP isn't hyped. When Never Really Over came, her saying "Hey guys I dk if there will be an album. I'm just gonna drop songs as I wish." didn't help.

Descriptions like this just screams a lack of direction and cohesiveness. When she finally releases an album, it will seem like it's just songs put together. I think it would've helped much more if she told us what Never Really Over actually stood for, and how it's gonna define the entire album sonically and thematically, which she did for Prism and Witness.

FfFfFfFF

In short, she aged so people and the radio moved on from her (as wrong as it is, is true), didn't take artistic risks for people to put her higher than being just "a popstar" and the fiasco that was Witness.

mariomania1234

She never really evolves. Her biggest mistake was never securing a strong enough fan base as a foundation. She's always heavily relied on the radio and the GP (Soccer moms and their children). The way I see it, she's always made short terms choices in her career when she should have been thinking long term. I honestly don't know how she escapes the position she finds herself in now.

Versace

They really should have had a huge promotional campaign for NRO, remember her campaign for Roar and Witness. Her team aren’t new to extensive promo. In my personal opinion NRO is better than any song on Witness and had that perfect balance between being classic Katy but with a more mature vibe. There's no denying the GP were here for NRO, #15 is no small feat in the streaming era for previously established popstars.  

Small Talk was a huge step backward if you ask me, totally got rid of the maturity NRO established and went back to goofy Katy ala Witness. Does this girl ever learn lol. 

Harlyes in Hawaii being released fall/close to winter, are you kidding me :saladga:

Small Talk would have flopped either way but had they switched their release dates at least HIH would have performed much better. It's like releasing a song called Summer Love in winter and expecting it to take off. Even if you're Adele it ain't happening. 

365 for a Zedd song and especially his hits was just not uptempo enough, the chorus should have been that bridge and vice versa and I promise you the song would have done much better. 

We can act like she's over but let her play her cards right first before we even have that conversation. 

maybe it's just me but we honestly don't really know who katy perry is... she has good music videos and makes fun songs, a funny girl, what else...? even if I find her relatable I still feel like.. where is the rest, what does katy even like

Lord Temptation

Katy has never done anything challenging. She has always been safe on-trend pop, time and time again. People are over that lack of risk-taking. It’s staid and predictable and turns people off.

Pop itself is dead. All the Main Pop Gurls have struggled, underperformed or flopped in the last few years. Ariana had a big boost at the end of last year and into the start of this year, but all her last few singles have flopped also. 

The last few years of pop have been characterised by whispery, mumbly monotone impersonal songs.

Even Billie Eilish will be old news by 2020. She’s the last fad of this decade of fads. 

Economy

NRO was close to top 10 on pop radio so for a stand alone single i wouldnt call that a flop

365 is one of my fav songs from her i honestly dont know why it flopped

small talk i thought was just boring AF and Harleys in Hawaii is honestly so out of season

this stand alone singles experiement may just not be working. Or ppl really are just too over Katy

4 minutes ago, Red said:

The songs are just not good, it’s not rocket science.

While I enjoy the Songs, I agree to a certain extend. The GP doesn‘t care about how long someone has been away unless you‘re Adele and really leave for years. The Songs just didn‘t click because they don‘t sound like what the ‚youth‘ is listening to at the moment and they‘re too „immature“ to grasp the Adult Audience

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

1 minute ago, Noah said:

While I enjoy the Songs, I agree to a certain extend. The GP doesn‘t care about how long someone has been away unless you‘re Adele and really leave for years. The Songs just didn‘t click because they don‘t sound like what the ‚youth‘ is listening to at the moment and they‘re too „immature“ to grasp the Adult Audience

The opposite, I think it’s too much like what the youth is listening to, all her recent music sound like a lifeless Frankenstein of everything on the radio atm and it should sound good but just falls flat af

Archived