Featured Posts

Reginald

This is SO COOL :wtfga: It seems almost otherworldly 

nihilist blues

Edonis
56 minutes ago, Economy said:

Thanks. I didnt know how spore reproduction worked

@Edonis @TimisaMonster perhaps its something along the same lines for the blob

Yeah that process would explain the variability  in the gametes (sex cells) that produce their offspring, which in turn show variance in their chromosomes and genetic information. 

Lord Temptation

What the hell is a sex anyway if there are 720? 

Science has really gone backwards over the last few decades. Like anything goes. It’s just attention-seeking at this point.

• LMAO 2
  • Sad 1

Meruk Holland
15 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

What the hell is a sex anyway if there are 720? 

Science has really gone backwards over the last few decades. Like anything goes. It’s just attention-seeking at this point.

It partially is attention-seeking because they want to highlight just how unusual this species is. But it actually does have hundreds of possible sex configurations. In humans, we have XY and XX as our primary genetic sex configurations (there are other possible combinations for humans fyi, such as XXY and XO). This protist has something like XX-XX-XX. where each locus have more options than just X and Y. I haven't study this species that deeply, so I don't know all the possible configurations, but 720 isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Edited by Meruk Holland
  • Like 6
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

Meruk Holland

As a side note, while researching this species (whose name is physarum polycephalum, or many-headed slime mold) I found out about a species of mushroom called schizophyllum commune, which has 23,328 distinct sexes. This is due to a 4-loci system of genes where 4 sets of chromosomes (A-Alpha, A-Beta, B-Alpha, B-Beta) each have multiple variants. If two specimens of the species have the same A genes or the same B genes, they are sexually incompatible, otherwise, each distinct mating type has almost 23,000 compatible partners.

• Like 1
  • Shook 5

Lord Temptation
30 minutes ago, Meruk Holland said:

It partially is attention-seeking because they want to highlight just how unusual this species is. But it actually does have hundreds of possible sex configurations. In humans, we have XY and XX as our primary genetic sex configurations (there are other possible combinations for humans fyi, such as XXY and XO). This protist has something like XX-XX-XX. where each locus have more options than just X and Y. I haven't study this species that deeply, so I don't know all the possible configurations, but 720 isn't outside the realm of possibility.

This isn’t science but semantics. Playing with words. If there can be 720 sexes, there can be 7.2 million sexes. And then sex loses it’s meaning. This is exactly people don’t take scientists seriously anymore.

• LMAO 1
  • Sad 1

Morphine Prince
18 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

This isn’t science but semantics. Playing with words. If there can be 720 sexes, there can be 7.2 million sexes. And then sex loses it’s meaning. This is exactly people don’t take scientists seriously anymore.

Sometimes I wonder if you re-read your posts and just laugh. 

Master level trolling. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 12

Lord Temptation
2 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Sometimes I wonder if you re-read your posts and just laugh. 

Master level trolling. 

My sex is troll. It’s one out of 8,997,765,091.098777777713349 + pi sexes as determined by scientists in cutting edge research (sponsored by Coca Cola, palm oil plantations and Monsanto).

• LMAO 1

derpmonster

Imagine an alternate universe where popstars "debut" organisms instead of albums :ladyhaha:

Gaga would be the worst one to reveal this one, titled Blob This Way. :ohwell: With 720 sexes and all about freedom for all of them. :firega:

Join my FB Gaga sh*tposting group: I'll Never Release LG6 https://www.facebook.com/groups/185450449037808/
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

Meruk Holland
15 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Uh, no, this is not an error in semantics. Science is very specific in the words used. And that's why people shouldn't debate it unless they've studied it. 
This isn't ambiguous. Scientists know what sex means in this context. We have to be pedantic because we're talking about very specific aspects and concepts of biology. 

There are 720 possible combinations of sex genes in polycephalum, each combination being called a sex. We do the same thing for humans and other animals, but we have less possible combinations.

• Thanks 6

derpmonster
47 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

People like you go from, "There are two sexes, science says so," to, "Actually, science is stupid because it doesn't fit my worldview anymore. I'm gonna impose my binary view of sex on an entirely different species."

If you're not taking scientists seriously, girl. You've got issues. You may be watching too many conspiracy videos.

Join my FB Gaga sh*tposting group: I'll Never Release LG6 https://www.facebook.com/groups/185450449037808/
  • Like 12

derpmonster
3 hours ago, Lion Heart said:

Adam and Blob

God made Adam and Blob not Adam and Bob

Spoiler

:ladyhaha:

• Like 1
  • LMAO 2

Diamond Heart

This is some alien **** :stalkga:

But baby, I just need one good one Tuesday