Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
opinion

Double Dutchess is an accurate sequel

Featured Posts

Loeppke

I'm not going to make this an essay because I know most people don't read those so I'm just going to just straight into it. Track-by-track, Fergie's Double Dutchess truly is the perfect sequel to The Dutchess. At their cores, both albums are very messy in terms of having any cohesion, and I feel like this is what makes them a Fergie experience. She has so many ideas and she doesn't limit herself to a genre. I'll be keeping my track comparisons in the order of The Dutchess's tracklist:

"Fergalicious" vs. "M.I.L.F. $"

Spoiler

Some of ya'll about to be real mad at me.. but it must be said. I love "Fergalicious," but you must admit that the lyrics are just as cheesy as "M.I.L.F. $." The fact that both tracks are delivered as a rap furthers the comparisons. You can tell she tried to do a "Fergalicious" part 2 but it just wasn't received like that. Even the music videos were similar in terms of showing a fictional and colorful world where she plays multiple characters. Don't tell me the milk scene isn't exactly the same as the cake scene :neyde:

"Clumsy" vs. "A Little Work"

Spoiler

Both cute songs about love, but Fergie is now ten years older so obviously the lyrics are much more mature. "Clumsy" speaks of a love interest that she feels nervous around, while "A Little Work" on a broader level speaks of a failing love that will eventually be healed.

"London Bridge" vs."Like It Ain't Nuttin'"

Spoiler

Explicit rap songs that are in-your-face with the delivery with a pounding beat to support them

"Pedastal" vs. "Hungry"

Spoiler

Sassy and pounding tracks that seem to be delivered to a certain you-know-who-you-are entity. 

"Voodoo Doll" vs. "Just Like You"

Spoiler

Another sassy and assertive style song

"Here I Come" vs. "L.A. Love"

Spoiler

Pop-rap songs with a rap feature, both seem to have a theme of a comeback

"Big Girls Don't Cry (Personal)" vs. "Save It Til Morning"

Spoiler

The resemblance is uncanny with these two, the most obvious of the comparisons. The acoustic guitar intros seem to be playing the same arrangement, and both tracks have powerful choruses and catchy bridges

"Mary Jane Shoes" vs. "Love Is Blind"

Spoiler

Another obvious comparison, it's easy to put the two reggae songs together. This genre was likely chosen for it's storytelling narrative of the lyrics. 

"Losing My Ground" vs. "Life Goes On"

Spoiler

This could be a stretch, but in the same way I compared "Clumsy" and "A Little Work," "Life Goes On" seems to be a matured version of "Losing My Ground." In The Dutchess track, Fergie describes losing touch of reality and not having a sense of person-hood. In the Double Dutchess track, Fergie's perspective is more self-realized, and she realizes that after all, life goes on whether we are prepared for it or not. She has accepted life's challenges. 

"Finally" vs. "Love Is Pain"

Spoiler

Conclusive closings tracks to both albums. Seems to be Fergie's voice backed with a dominant instrument. The major difference however is "Finally"s piano and "Love Is Pain"s electric guitar. 

"Barracuda" vs. "Kleopatra"

Spoiler

Two bonus tracks that seem about a decade too soon from release. "Barracuda" would have fit in nicely with the ska songs of the late 1990s, and "Kleopatra" seems to take influence of the electronica pop music of the early 2010s (though admittedly is still popular in the gay club scene). 

It was difficult for me to find a similar track for "All That I Got (The Make Up Song)," "Glamorous," and "Velvet" because with Double Dutchess she didn't have as many slower jams, and didn't really do as many sexy songs as she did simple pop songs. After all, she is a mother, I don't expect her to keep singing about that. "Enchanté" was dedicated to her son, "Tension" (although a bop) didn't have much personal meaning, and "Diddy Zone" was just bonus track similar to the rap songs from the rest of the album. I had considered adding "Dancin'" and "Men All Pause," two outtakes that leaked, to complete my comparisons, but I didn't want to cheat because they weren't actually on the album. Anyway, thanks for reading this manic train-of-thought. I think I'm done. Stream "Maybe We Can Take A Ride" :vegas:

Edited by Loeppke
like what you see? my number is 1-800-u-wish
  • Love 5

Enzo

That's why it is a sequel :triggered:

Stream her best song aka A Little Work 

Lady Gaga did her own makeup in this picture but I’ll be sure to let her know how much you hate it xoxo

Loeppke
8 minutes ago, Enzo said:

That's why it is a sequel :triggered:

I know but I didn’t realize just how similar the two were. Tbh I thought it was just a lazy title I didn’t think the two albums had much correlation when I first heard it :poot:

Also I think my favorite is “Save It Til Morning”

• LMAO 1

gabrielflorin01

This is a very good and documented analysis, thank you! :applause:

baby, yoü and I
  • Love 1

DAMN
3 hours ago, Enzo said:

stop giving Dr. Luke coins sis :triggered:

download a pirated copy and play that bop there instead

BadGurlMadge11

The only dutchess I really know is @Fiene:vegas:

(and maybe @Dutch:stalkga:)

just messin around with u dårling
  • LMAO 2

Ryusei

I love essays :laughga: and music analysis is one of the few types I like reading

• YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Loeppke
4 hours ago, Ryusei said:

I love essays :laughga: and music analysis is one of the few types I like reading

Well I basically made the key points, anything else included would have been fluff 

Enzo
8 hours ago, DAMN said:

stop giving Dr. Luke coins sis :triggered:

download a pirated copy and play that bop there instead

Let me stream Kim Petras then 

Lady Gaga did her own makeup in this picture but I’ll be sure to let her know how much you hate it xoxo
  • LMAO 1