Will Gaga Go the Waterfall Route?

duckworth

Featured Posts

duckworth
Just now, alextruper17 said:

Sis...

lady gaga omg GIF by Golden Globes

4 minutes ago, GaGaAst said:

Then why the hell she doesn't release it often..she does what she wants. 

6 minutes ago, SeasonOfTheWitch said:

Then why does she 

I know. I'm a clown for that statement. Too late to change it anyways :madge:

MelbHawker
1 minute ago, DAMN said:

I mean do they though? I mean I'm pretty sure Million Reasons sold more than Joanne, same goes with Applause and ARTPOP, Born This Way and the album, etc.

The only album that sold more is The Fame. But cumulatively speaking of TF singles, they still sold more than the album. Just look at PF and JD.  :huh:

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. What I should've said was that her albums chart better than her singles, so I don't think that strategy would work for her commercially.

alextruper17
Just now, DAMN said:

I know. I'm a clown for that statement. Too late to change it anyways :madge:

I get what you were trying to say

but sis, we’ve been starving for LG6.

that was funny 

Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince

duckworth
3 minutes ago, MelbHawker said:

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. What I should've said was that her albums chart better than her singles, so I don't think that strategy would work for her commercially.

Well it's true. Given that Gaga's still super theatrical with her albums and dedicates an entire era promoting new material, traditional eras would work best for her. 

But still in the current market, eras just don't do it anymore. :noparty:

Zander

Unlikely. She’s very much the kind of artist that likes to release a body of work together than strung out over weeks/months because her work is usually conceptual and that message/concept would probably get lost over a long drawn out set of singles.

She likes to release mostly 1 single before dropping an album as a taster for her new body of work, then drop the album, then release maybe 2 more. 

I think until this method becomes the norm (which it probably will), it really depends on the artist in order for it to work. 

I think Ariana got away with it but it was more of an exception. The Sweetener era had started to fizzle out and she was at her peak so people were here for anything back then. Boyfriend and DCMA flopped, and I’m sure that Lizzo remix is going to crash and burn.

It works for artists like Charli because she’s quite niche and there are no expectations attached for her singles, as evidenced with how fast they reacted when 1999 took off. She just does it it keep her fans happy, and also her label doesn’t pressure her for a hit

36 minutes ago, S0436 said:

Sad that Charli xcx is explaining this strategy considering it didn’t work for her new album!

Except that she has said countless of times that she isn’t after chart success? If she were she wouldn’t be releasing songs like Shake It and 2099

who will love me when the night is over

1 hour ago, DAMN said:

Well it's true. Given that Gaga's still super theatrical with her albums and dedicates an entire era promoting new material, traditional eras would work best for her. 

But still in the current market, eras just don't do it anymore. :noparty:

But you just contradicted your own point: it works for her

48 minutes ago, Zander said:

Unlikely. She’s very much the kind of artist that likes to release a body of work together than strung out over weeks/months because her work is usually conceptual and that message/concept would probably get lost over a long drawn out set of singles. 

THIS.

An artist doesn't release a painting one color at a time. Unless they (or their label) know the final work is...problematic

Consider the reasons continual release benefits a specific artist:

-Charli xcx style : methodically injecting doses of a musical taste into the zeitgeist hoping we become accustomed to it?

-Ariana style: release SO much music that the album announcements seem superfluous cause the cycles just bleed into each other. If the culture is saturated with your product,waterfalls instead of waves, then you cant become "old news" right?

- Taylor style: trying to get a lead on a "win". Lover is her first  post-Big Machine album

- Katy style: ??? I-Good luck sis

-Rihanna/Beyonce(possibly Gaga) style: I do what I want bc I've earned it. My hustle has paid off. My legacy is secure. I LOVE making music but I also have other interests and a life to live so...

-Gaga style (traditionally): I cant wait to show you what we made for you! There's a story. There's a concept. There's a message.   No peeking!

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

Andreu
32 minutes ago, Spock said:

I’m sure that Lizzo remix is going to crash and burn

Praying the universe listens to you sis

JazzGa

I think the strategy is more aimed at radio hit-seeking artists, and Gaga has crossed the threshold into legacy artists (AKA dont give a fuk about hits) now. Her sales have always been driven more by successful albums and tours than singles (with the exception of TFM era). So I don't think this is the strategy for Gagz. (Although I would like it, because focusing on each individual song without the momentum of the whole album and tour coming in a tidal wave afterward might result in less plan changes, dropped projects, and "betrayals" lol. )

Thank you for posting though, this was a really interesting thread and I learned some new stuff about the music biz :party:

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Interesting episode of Billboard's Pop Shop podcast discusses The Arianna to Rihanna Pop Queen Release Spectrum 😂 Includes Gaga, Selena, Taylor etc.

~~~

Billboard's Pop Shop From Rihanna's Radio Silence to Ariana Grande's Pair of Albums in 6 Months: The Many Paces of a Pop Star

https://play.acast.com/s/popshoppodcast/75cd32f1-6dcc-4b21-9fba-38498c538bb2

EDIT: they also talk about Telephones 10th anniversary

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

Alfonso

I don't really think the strategy suits gaga, and the artists that have succeeded at this were kind of lucky.. You can see how bad Katy is doing with her releases atm :shrug:

ASIB has been really successful, so they really have to focus on how they're planning the next era to keep up with the success 

Archived