• Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Borislshere said:

She may not have beat her record but she has the better album/song.Ā :firega:

I still like that lil Charli XCX song.Ā 

Salty I CĀ 

ķˆ­ ź¹Œė³“ė©“ ģ–“ź¹€ģ—†ģ“ ģ†Œė¦¬ģ§ˆėŸ¬ģ™€

DitaDolla

Lol truth hurts will come back at #1Ā  next week:vegas:

Ya'll saying Lizzo is chart-obsessed, well let me see u working ur as for over a decade and finally make it big 10 years later...

57 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I didn't know she was acting desperate on Twitter, encouraging everyone to buy it to beat the record. It's so cringey when singers do stuff like that, it puts bad karma on them. Iggy's views and likes show that people still know Fancy years later. I doubt Lizzo will be remembered much in a year or two, I'm just talking honestly. You'll notice how none of her other songs have had anywhere near the same reception. And for a track that's been #1 for 6 weeks, you'd think her video would've got a lot more attention. You don't want something this random breaking the all-time record.

I'm assuming it's because they think it's a win for a curvy black woman to overtake a skinny white girl's record. Absolutely nothing to do with song quality of course. I think Fancy's the much better song, I couldn't care less about the race of any of the women involved. What people should be asking is why we let rap become a male dominated genre and support women of all races having success with rap.

... and literally nobody was surprised at all to read this comment :rip:

StrawberryBlond
23 minutes ago, Harry said:

... and literally nobody was surprised at all to read this comment :rip:

I was just answering a question. I wouldn't have said that second part if no one had asked. And without even reading the articles in question, I know what they were talking about. What's so bad about wanting all women to succeed with rap, as opposed to just one race? I don't want unnecessary race battles in music. And I like Iggy's music better, so sue me. And I just pointed out she's the more memorable one hit wonder. I'm just being realistic. Look for a sinister nature all you want, it's tired now. Pity that so many people fall for the things you say, though.

Ally Campana

Aside form the beef, Fancy is better and more iconic. I love Lizzo but yeah, sheā€™s starting to annoy me with all her ā€˜Stream Truth Hurts, MakeĀ it the longest running #1 female rap song of all timeā€™Ā ya da ya da. It comes off as desperate.

Does it matter? Damage is done

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I didn't know she was acting desperate on Twitter, encouraging everyone to buy it to beat the record. It's so cringey when singers do stuff like that, it puts bad karma on them. Iggy's views and likes show that people still know Fancy years later. I doubt Lizzo will be remembered much in a year or two, I'm just talking honestly. You'll notice how none of her other songs have had anywhere near the same reception. And for a track that's been #1 for 6 weeks, you'd think her video would've got a lot more attention. You don't want something this random breaking the all-time record.

I'm assuming it's because they think it's a win for a curvy black woman to overtake a skinny white girl's record. Absolutely nothing to do with song quality of course. I think Fancy's the much better song, I couldn't care less about the race of any of the women involved. What people should be asking is why we let rap become a male dominated genre and support women of all races having success with rap.

I'm looking forward to coming back to this comment in a year or two and laughing, I'm just talking honestly.Ā  Along with Truth Hurts peaking at #1, Good as Hell peaked at #2, Juice at #4 and Tempo at #6. I'm literally hearing both Truth Hurts and Good as Hell everywhere I go. The songs are being played on the radio, on commercial spots, and people who I never thought would have enjoyed her songs are singing along to them and everyone is celebrating her success apart from you.Ā  Her video for Truth Hurts has garnered over 130 million views so I don't know what world you're living in where that's a small number and besides, even if the videoĀ  didn't get alot of attention that's somewhat irrelevant asĀ  the song itself is doing so well. For being a "random" song it sure took a long ass time to get to where it is - 2 years to be exact. Just Dance was a slow burn and so is Truth Hurts but no one calls Just Dance a random occurrence.Ā  Lizzo has worked extremely hard and hustled to get where she is right now (as I'm sure Iggy has as well) so it's funny that you say we should support women in rap when the first half of your argument is doing the exact opposite.

I don't understand pineapples, so I don't eat bananas.

1 minute ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I was just answering a question. I wouldn't have said that second part if no one had asked. And without even reading the articles in question, I know what they were talking about. What's so bad about wanting all women to succeed with rap, as opposed to just one race? I don't want unnecessary race battles in music. And I like Iggy's music better, so sue me. And I just pointed out she's the more memorable one hit wonder. I'm just being realistic. Look for a sinister nature all you want, it's tired now. Pity that so many people fall for the things you say, though.

What's so bad about wanting all women to succeed with rap? The first paragraph of your post was essentially a celebration of this song just falling short ofĀ a record, and pointing out some statistics that you consider to be her "failure". Tell me, what makes you so successful and fulfilled in life that you feel justified in sitting behind your computer and trying to make a woman coming off the back of a multi-week number one single seem like no big deal? Give me a break, cretin.

Literally nobody in the thread made it aboutĀ race until you did. NOBODY. Nobody argued that point. But you would be the first to pull the "why make it about race?" cardĀ in a situationĀ that it would actually be applicable.Ā It's so transparent what your motives and prejudices are. Horrible, nasty, vapid piece of work you are.

StrawberryBlond
1 minute ago, Quasi said:

I'm looking forward to coming back to this comment in a year or two and laughing, I'm just talking honestly.Ā  Along with Truth Hurts peaking at #1, Good as Hell peaked at #2, Juice at #4 and Tempo at #6. I'm literally hearing both Truth Hurts and Good as Hell everywhere I go. The songs are being played on the radio, on commercial spots, and people who I never thought would have enjoyed her songs are singing along to them and everyone is celebrating her success apart from you.Ā  Her video for Truth Hurts has garnered over 130 million views so I don't know what world you're living in where that's a small number and besides, even if the videoĀ  didn't get alot of attention that's somewhat irrelevant asĀ  the song itself is doing so well. For being a "random" song it sure took a long ass time to get to where it is. Just Dance was a slow burn and so is Truth Hurts but no one calls Just Dance a random occurrence.Ā  Lizzo has worked extremely hard and hustled to get where she is right now (as I'm sure Iggy has as well) so it's funny that you say we should support women in rap when the first half of your argument is doing the exact opposite.

You might be eating your words, there's no guarantees in this industry. I've seen many singers become one era wonders when so many people said they'd be huge. And what do you mean those other songs had those peaks. I looked them up, they're not even top 10, so what chart are you talking about? And maybe in America, those songs are doing well, but where I'm from, no one knows her, she's an American phenomenon right now. 130 million views is good if you have a top ten for a while, but by today's standards, a 130 million viewed video with 1.6 million likes is pretty terrible for a song that had 6 consecutive weeks at #1 in America. When that happens, views and likes become massive. And usually, interest increases for their other videos and that has not happened for her. If your song's selling power doesn't translate into video views and likes, it generally means your fanbase isn't that huge and people just like that one song. I don't know the story of how a 2 year old song got to #1 but just because it was a slow burn doesn't automatically make it good. And that bit about supporting women in rap was unconnected to the first part of my post. That part was just a commentary about how we make unnecessary battles where there doesn't need to be and that I just want to hear good rap songs, especially from women, of all races and we shouldn't be trying to divide them up and make it a black vs. white thing. 2019 and we're still demonising white people in rap - so much for progressivism. I don't get why some people still hate on Iggy all this time later. She's done now, she's not a threat, yet people still want to bring her down even further, it's just sad. And what's worse is that they'd be all over her material if she weren't white (her new album is better than her debut).

I think it's hilarious for the people on gaga daily to be calling Lizzo chart obsessed and desperate mean while most of you judge many artists just based off their chart success and popularity, and are always obsessing over who's number one. This is her actual song and her work so of course she's going to push it, especially when it had the chance to beat a white girl's sub par song.

StrawberryBlond
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

What's so bad about wanting all women to succeed with rap? The first paragraph of your post was essentially a celebration of this song just falling short ofĀ a record, and pointing out some statistics that you consider to be her "failure". Tell me, what makes you so successful and fulfilled in life that you feel justified in sitting behind your computer and trying to make a woman coming off the back of a multi-week number one single seem like no big deal? Give me a break, cretin.

Literally nobody in the thread made it aboutĀ race until you did. NOBODY. Nobody argued that point. But you would be the first to pull the "why make it about race?" cardĀ in a situationĀ that it would actually be applicable.Ā It's so transparent what your motives and prejudices are. Horrible, nasty, vapid piece of work you are.

I already said the two parts were unconnected. The thread's about her just falling short of the record, so of course that was the first thing to speak about. I wasn't celebrating the song just falling short, just giving my analysis on it. I'm just looking at things logically, not trying to be mean. I didn't say anything about it not a big deal that that she got a multi week number one, I was just looking at the situation like "just because you got that achievement doesn't mean you'll stick around." Cardi was accused of not necessarily sticking around and she's achieved more than Lizzo, so i think I'm well within my rights to predict one hit wonder status for someone who's achieved less. I never said I was so successful and justified in life to pass judgement on singers. I love music, I analyse it in my spare time for fun, it relaxes me, it takes my mind off things. My analysis isn't all sunshine and rainbows but the world would be boring if we all had the same taste.

Somebody asked and it was so obvious why some people are saying that Lizzo breaking Iggy's record is important (the very next post I quote supports this), so I just gave them an honest response. My motives are to stop race-based prejudice and have people judged on their talent, choices, character. I say I want to stop unnecessary race battles and you come in with you're usual presumptions that I'm a racist bigot. Nothing could be further from the truth and you make yourself look ridiculous every time you do it.

In the words of Iggy, "If you hate me, bitch, get yo life."

1 minute ago, Ployd said:

I think it's hilarious for the people on gaga daily to be calling Lizzo chart obsessed and desperate mean while most of you judge many artists just based off their chart success and popularity, and are always obsessing over who's number one. This is her actual song and her work so of course she's going to push it, especially when it had the chance to beat a white girl's sub par song.

It's unprofessional for singers to be publicly chart obsessed, though. It's very unbecoming. But as the public, it's up to us to decide what songs we want to be successful, so we can be as chart obsessed as we like. If that's not how you want to be, that's fine, but there's nothing wrong with being a chart freak if that's what you like. And you can push a song without pushing it to desperate levels. And a "white girl's" sub par song? Was that even necessary? Why can't it just be a sub-par song? Why insert race into it? I'd understand this hate for Iggy if she wasĀ  nasty person but she's one of the sweetest, most genuine people in rap who's never instigated beefs with anyone who copped a real life attitude. To just get reduced to being a "white girl" and nothing else must be very demoralising when she's tried so hard to get where she is and is still trying in a world that doesn't even want her anymore.

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ā Literally nobody in the thread made it aboutĀ race until you did. NOBODY. Nobody argued that point. But you would be the first to pull the "why make it about race?" cardĀ in a situationĀ that it would actually be applicable.Ā It's so transparent what your motives and prejudices are. Horrible, nasty, vapid piece of work you are.

Ā 

Literally the first post in this thread, the OP, includes screen shots from twitter of an article from the Daily Beat with a headline and byline making this entirely about race.

Why Lizzo Dethroning Iggy Azalea Is So Damn Important: One is a genuine black woman who preaches self-love; the other is an Australian impostor who fakes a Southern ā€œblaccent.ā€

Ā 

You can disagree with @StrawberryBlond without resorting to personal attacks and inaccuracies. :vegas:

• CyanLights locked this topic

Archived