Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Spain’s issues new Carles Puigdemont arrest warrant

Featured Posts

Varys

The move comes on the same day that 12 Catalan separatist leaders were convicted of sedition, disobedience and misuse of public funds.

Spanish judicial authorities issued a fresh European Arrest Warrant against Carles Puigdemont, the former Catalan president.

Puigdemont fled to Belgium after declaring Catalonia's independence from Madrid in October 2017 following a referendum on secession that was ruled illegal.

A previous arrest warrant was withdrawn in December last year after a German court decided to extradite Puigdemont to Spain for the charge of misuse of public funds and not for the more serious charge of rebellion. That would have meant in practice that Puigdemont would've faced lesser charges than his colleagues in court.

https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-supreme-court-issues-new-carles-puigdemont-arrest-warrant/

• Sad 2

Varys
4 minutes ago, Andreu said:

well this is by no means the most important thing that has happened today regarding this topic :rip:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49974289

I know I read about Puigdemont first in Belgian media so searched for a english article and posted this here and read the jailing part after I already posted it. :smh:

Andreu

OT: I hope the rest of the EU ignores the warrant once again

soundcloud.com/andreusongs
  • Like 2

Varys
37 minutes ago, Andreu said:

OT: I hope the rest of the EU ignores the warrant once again

I cant at EU not speaking out about his tho. If it was an eastern european country as poland or hungary they would have sanctioned them

Andreu
8 minutes ago, Varys said:

I cant at EU not speaking out about his tho. If it was an eastern european country as poland or hungary they would have sanctioned them

tbh as a catalan myself this has changed my views on EU a lot. I was veeeeeeeeeery proEU before, like I almost thought they could do no wrong. But after seeing the whole "procès" and how they have not given a signle ****, even when the spanish police injured hundreds of people on the day of the "referendum".... I lost all my faith in EU

soundcloud.com/andreusongs
  • Like 1

Varys
26 minutes ago, Andreu said:

tbh as a catalan myself this has changed my views on EU a lot. I was veeeeeeeeeery proEU before, like I almost thought they could do no wrong. But after seeing the whole "procès" and how they have not given a signle ****, even when the spanish police injured hundreds of people on the day of the "referendum".... I lost all my faith in EU

I still am a EU supporter but it has it flaws. Spain being a powerful country (for EU standards) is also not helping. Its also hyporitical when they don't talk about this when they would litterally throw a party if Scotland would leave the UK. Also as someone of flanders  I kinda can relate to the catalan situation. (I saw many catalan flags in the street here btw when the referendum happend) Altough I'm not supportive of splitting Belgium (but also not against it if Wallonia would want it too and there was a solution for Brussels) mainly because the flemish national parties are either an extreme right racist low key homophobic party or a conservative neo liberal party for the rich (which is the biggest party in flanders and belgium btw). They are also friends with Puidgemont and when the violence happend and they were still in the goverment they wanted our premier to speak out against but he didn't. He did tweet critizing  the violence tho.

Edited by Varys