💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Blackface Controversy Splits Cosplay Community

Seeka

Featured Posts

derpmonster
54 minutes ago, River said:

ooh sorry, it's my bday, I'm sensitive today because I don't want it to be destroyed and I felt like attacked :selena:

Happy birthday love :hug: I know you have good intentions. Sorry for being accusatory. It just looks like blackface in the avi. Maybe edit the contrast or upload a different pic :kiss:. I don't mind it too much but everyone doesn't know the context.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, derpmonster said:

Happy birthday love :hug: I know you have good intentions. Sorry for being accusatory. It just looks like blackface in the avi. Maybe edit the contrast or upload a different pic :kiss:. I don't mind it too much but everyone doesn't know the context.

Thanks :sara: I did it with paint lol I don't have photoshop in the new computer so I can't edit too much :toofunny:

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

derpmonster
25 minutes ago, witchcocktor said:

If you don't paint your skin dark, you are whitewashing.

If you do paint your skin dark, you are doing blackface.

It's nonsense. Take one rule and stick with it.

Please :laughga:

Whitewashed doesn't mean you have to paint your skin dark. Whitewashing refers to ignoring the cultural contexts of things or casting a white character for an Asian role (for example) - and no, no one wants that white actor to modify their face to look Asian :saladga: Instead, they just want an Asian actor to be cast.

For cosplay, it really doesn't matter as long as you're respectful and don't change your skin color just to look more like a different race. That rule always applies :laughga:

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Helxig
2 hours ago, Zander said:

As they should. You can’t cosplay as a character of another race whilst changing your skin tone, do it without doing that.

On a slightly related note I remembered the other day a well known British designer (Craig Green) painted white models black for one of his shows.

2-D0-C0459-FCFB-4860-97-C9-6-F622-E34354
A967190-A-831-C-49-DF-A7-BE-60-C4-F4-CB8

Nobody batted an eye about it, it’s crazy. He could have literally used black models to the same effect. 

Okay in this example it isn't blackface because they aren't supposed to portray black people. But it is definitely in bad taste.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

ItsTommyBitch

Hm. It's an interesting dilemma at the least :laughga: What if I make a suit of someone's appearance and because they are brown the suit is brown...

At its core the intent to look the most accurately like someone who is brown for gain is still there, but there are worse instances of black face than in the cosplay community so I don't care much :rip:

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

PartySick

I don't see the big deal.

It'd be one thing if she was trying to be this:

3000.jpeg

But she's not? She's trying to be this:

c372148c40e9a82a15ef2717cd14fb1d.jpg

So...I think it's an overreaction and it's things like this that give the "other side" ammo to call us ridiculous when we call out some legit bs.

A lady from a place where blackface isn't seen as problematic as it is here putting on some prosthetics, makeup, and a costume to pull off a badass video game character look =/= racism or offensively impersonating a race in order to mock them.

Just my two cents :spin:

🖤

IcePrincess

That is so stupid. This whole blackface thing. I just can't write anything... Society is getting dumber on some issues. People have nothing to do anymore so they make up some ****. If someone wants to punish this girl then he's stupid.

7 hours ago, PartySick said:

I don't see the big deal.

It'd be one thing if she was trying to be this:

3000.jpeg

But she's not? She's trying to be this:

c372148c40e9a82a15ef2717cd14fb1d.jpg

So...I think it's an overreaction and it's things like this that give the "other side" ammo to call us ridiculous when we call out some legit bs.

A lady from a place where blackface isn't seen as problematic as it is here putting on some prosthetics, makeup, and a costume to pull off a badass video game character look =/= racism or offensively impersonating a race in order to mock them.

Just my two cents :spin:

Well another thing to consider is that she is probably a professional cosplayer, and getting paid to do this. Like tournaments offer cash prizes. 

I mean like I understand that they're not doing intentional harm. 

But black people cosplay white characters all the time. The reason why cosplayers have the unspoken rule of "Cosplay anyone you want, just don't do something stupid" is because a majority of characters to cosplay are white or Japanese. 

This isn't really to effect the bigger world. Like honestly, how many people care of about professional cosplay? 

But this is a question for the community as whole, which has non-white and non-Japanese people within it. Who are faced with the problem of never looking exactly like their favorite characters because a majority of them are white or are Japanese but can definitely be seen as white. 

It seems like "Oh, there's no problem here." But there sorta is. A lack of characters in geeky media who represent other races, people who are making money from cosplaying someone of another race with what is essentially black skin, and probably other things I don't even know about. 

7 hours ago, IcePrincess said:

That is so stupid. This whole blackface thing. I just can't write anything... Society is getting dumber on some issues. People have nothing to do anymore so they make up some ****. If someone wants to punish this girl then he's stupid.

See my post above. She is making money from a cosplay when essentially professional black cosplayers and others with saturated skin tones will never have a 100% accurate cosplay unless they take drastic measures. 

Plus also, I doubt this is really a care for society. I got this from a geeky website. Most people won't even know this is happening. 

This is NOT blackface and that's that. A shame such a talented cosplayer is being criticized because some people want to be offended.

51 minutes ago, Ikvs said:

This is NOT blackface and that's that. A shame such a talented cosplayer is being criticized because some people want to be offended.

If she's so talented why did she need  to create a prosthetic skin suit? 

It says in the article she contacted people, who shown concerns that she ignored. 

She is walking a blurry line. That's why there is an argument. 

And honestly I believe her talent is working against her. There are plenty of people who have cosplayed against their race and gender who didn't rely on a skinsuit. 

Archived