Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Blackface Controversy Splits Cosplay Community

Seeka

Featured Posts

derpmonster
1 minute ago, River said:

what is wrong with my avi? it's not blackface or racist or anything, it's just a robot of a blond girl and a witchy nose

It probably doesn't mean to be racist but the blonde girl has black paint on her face and especially now with the red lips... that's like classic blackface

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ltlmnstr
5 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

It probably doesn't mean to be racist but the blonde girl has black paint on her face and especially now with the red lips... that's like classic blackface

Yeah they're trolling just to troll. 

35 minutes ago, derpmonster said:

It's dark green not black.. it's supposed to be a mix between a blond pop star and the wicked witch..

this-is-not-lady-gaga-its-a-terrifying-r

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

10 minutes ago, ltlmnstr said:

You do bring up a great point actually about Anime.

For example, Japanese people see Sailor Moon as a Japanese girl with blue eyes and blonde hair.
Watching Sailor Moon as a kid, I saw a white woman :P

It's kinda weird and it makes things much more difficult to explain. 
Like I know Blackface is still an occurance on talk shows in Japan.
(Remember USA briefly occupied Japan and most likely brought Blackface there...)

Back on topic, I don't play League of Legends so I don't know this character at all. 
On the surface, it seems to be a male character? 

Sex doesn't matter in cosplaying. Actually women have an advantage over men due to being naturally slimmer and more able to take on the impossible bods of bishounen men. 

So, women cosplaying as men and vice versa has never been wrong. 

9 minutes ago, River said:

to blackface or to white the character? it's a situation where she's losing in any case..

I understand that she likes the character and everything, but unfortunately it's not possible to do a cosplay of it, it's just not correct morally.

And I must say that the cosplay is awesome! maybe would be better not to waste it and let a black person do the cosplay as it should have been since the beginning.

Actually, as I stated before, anyone can cosplay anyone. As long as they don't do something stupid.

Like blackface. 

2 minutes ago, ltlmnstr said:

So you're being anti-semitic then? That's a common anti-jew costume.  

I'm Israeli..

ltlmnstr
5 minutes ago, Seeka said:

Sex doesn't matter in cosplaying. Actually women have an advantage over men due to being naturally slimmer and more able to take on the impossible bods of bishounen men. 

So, women cosplaying as men and vice versa has never been wrong. 

Oh I'm sorry for the misunderstanding!
I was trying to figure out which League of Legends character is she cosplaying.

I know all about genderbent cosplay. There's an intersection with many drag queens. Love me a good anime obsessed queen. (I still have yet to go full sweet lolita at a con)

Bloody hooker

Honestly there is no way around for to cosplay that character. I’m sure she had no ill intent, but sadly it’s going to become harder to cosplay as a character especially if your favorite character is of another race.

This made me think about the episode of Gumball where their dad walked in dressed in cosplay with his skin painted literal black (like a color of a car). As a black person, I saw nothing wrong with it as he was clearly cosplaying a imaginary character, but I’m sure someone found it disrespectful.

This mutual gaze was a “longing to touch” or a "pre-coitus" stare.

Just now, ltlmnstr said:

I know. I'm joking lmao.

ooh sorry, it's my bday, I'm sensitive today because I don't want it to be destroyed and I felt like attacked :selena:

3 minutes ago, ltlmnstr said:

Oh I'm sorry for the misunderstanding!
I was trying to figure out which League of Legends character is she cosplaying.

I know all about genderbent cosplay. There's an intersection with many drag queens. Love me a good anime obsessed queen. (I still have yet to go full sweet lolita at a con)

Ooh. I'm a Lolita. Well, in training. I still need petticoat and accessories and a good wig. I may need a new dress to. I was smaller when I bought that dress off that dude. I'm not sure if I could fit now lols. 

I'm an all around Lolita. But I enjoy a lot of prints with cats. 

witchcocktor

If you don't paint your skin dark, you are whitewashing.

If you do paint your skin dark, you are doing blackface.

It's nonsense. Take one rule and stick with it.

Diamond Heart
4 minutes ago, witchcocktor said:

If you do paint your skin dark, you are doing blackface.

It's nonsense. Take one rule and stick with it.

Ive never heard this argument in regards to a white person pretending to be black? 

"GGD IS NOT FOR YOU" - Admin

11 minutes ago, witchcocktor said:

Black Real Housewives Of Atlanta GIF by Identity

FreePalestine

witchcocktor
12 minutes ago, Diamond Heart said:

Ive never heard this argument in regards to a white person pretending to be black? 

5 minutes ago, lego said:

Black Real Housewives Of Atlanta GIF by Identity

Just google '' whitewashing/whitewashed cosplay ''

It's really not that hard. 

Diamond Heart
11 minutes ago, witchcocktor said:

Just google '' whitewashing/whitewashed cosplay ''

It's really not that hard. 

So instead of answering someone directly who asked you a question about a statement you made, you dont explain yourself and tell me to google. Sounds like you have no point in the first place dude. So no need for the condescending 'its really not that hard' :ohwell:

Just googled what you said and its all white teenagers angry they cant cosplay as black people, so i dont know how this backs up your point? 

"GGD IS NOT FOR YOU" - Admin

Archived