Joanne was a good snac

SeasonOfTheWitch

Featured Posts

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gypsy101
8 hours ago, Bio said:

Didn’t know TFM had 11 tracks, I can only hear 8. Where can I hear the rest?

op is incorrect, the fame monster is 3 songs fewer than Joanne though it’s only 5 minutes shorter (the standard version, the deluxe is 12 minutes longer).

i actually listened to Joanne today for the first time in months, it’s... like, pretty good? not wonderful or a revelation or anything but there are some bops. also some clunkers, like all her albums. i wonder if she might be more suited to releasing EPs rather than LPs simply because she usually has 3–6 tracks per album that are just meh.

SeasonOfTheWitch
19 minutes ago, gypsy101 said:

op is incorrect, the fame monster is 3 songs fewer than Joanne though it’s only 5 minutes shorter (the standard version, the deluxe is 12 minutes longer).

i actually listened to Joanne today for the first time in months, it’s... like, pretty good? not wonderful or a revelation or anything but there are some bops. also some clunkers, like all her albums. i wonder if she might be more suited to releasing EPs rather than LPs simply because she usually has 3–6 tracks per album that are just meh.

I’m not tho... TFM is 39 minutes and Joanne standard is too. As the response below your quoted reply says, I’m talking about run time. 

gypsy101
14 minutes ago, SeasonOfTheWitch said:

I’m not tho... TFM is 39 minutes and Joanne standard is too. As the response below your quoted reply says, I’m talking about run time. 

it’s 39 with the Bad Romance remix, it’s 34 without it (which is the version i purchased when it was released in 2009)

Glamourpuss

Going along with the metaphor...

It's like a special box of chocolates. Sometimes I might feel like a salted caramel and other times I might want a coffee flavour. But because they are special I savour them rather than eat them all at once. 

I might not always want to listen to the sadder songs but sometimes I'll be in the mood for John Wayne and Diamond Heart.

It's an album to come back to.

Sanne Godijn
10 hours ago, Gardevoir said:

Joanne was a filling country breakfast 

DwoBm7tX4AAgxA2?format=jpg&name=small

Ahhh what a cute little doggie

Franch Toast

For me, Joanne is akin to having drinks at one of my favorite dive bars (to borrow from her dive bar tour) – some of the songs are whiskey that sting going down and occasionally bring me to tears and at other times make me want to get up and dance by the jukebox, some are lukewarm pinot grigio (fun fact: don't drink wine at a dive bar, as it's always disappointing), and some are Pabst Blue Ribbon. In isolation, none of these are my favorite drinks, but in combination, somehow they make for an enjoyable night. 

At the dive bar of which I'm thinking, we usually listen to melancholy songs punctuated with upbeat classic rock, so songs like "Angel Down," "Diamond Heart," and "A-Yo" somehow fit, and "Just Another Day" is that bop you can't help swaying your hips to when you walk back from the bathroom. 

She/Her/Hers

AJRocketMan
13 hours ago, FentyGa said:

it’s truly her charmbracelet/bedtime stories

it happened. may have been a bit of a thing at the time. but in the grand scheme of things, when gaga’s career is 25+ years long, it’ll kind of be like “oh...right, that happened.”

i love it for what it is and it has some bops, but it’s hella forgettable tbh. especially in comparison to the rest of gaga’s career. and that’s okay! not every era can be iconic, huge, memorable. not every era can be born this way

Joanne is most definitely not her Bedtime Stories. If anything, it’s more like Gaga’s attempt at her Like A Prayer, since they have relatively similar musical styles (whereas Stories has nothing in common with Joanne), were similar ages at the time of release, cover similar themes of lost love, family, religion, and inner healing and they both had simpler, more down-to-earth public images for their respective records.

Bedtime Stories was more cosmopolitan, more seductive, mature, and insightful than Joanne and Like A Prayer were.

FentyGa
3 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

Joanne is most definitely not her Bedtime Stories. If anything, it’s more like Gaga’s attempt at her Like A Prayer, since they have relatively similar musical styles (whereas Stories has nothing in common with Joanne), were similar ages at the time of release, cover similar themes of lost love, family, religion, and inner healing and they both had simpler, more down-to-earth public images for their respective records.

Bedtime Stories was more cosmopolitan, more seductive, mature, and insightful than Joanne and Like A Prayer were.

i just meant in a career sense.

bedtime stories is really madonna’s forgotten album, particularly sandwiched between erotica’s scandalous era and ray of light’s success

human nature was a hit, but really paled in comparison to the rest of madge’s discography and hasn’t had the longevity of her other singles. i kinda of see million reasons’ trajectory the same way

With that analogy...

The whole world was waiting and salivating at the thought of her next meal. Then she made some cute little breadsticks while the people starved.

AJRocketMan
3 hours ago, FentyGa said:

i just meant in a career sense.

bedtime stories is really madonna’s forgotten album, particularly sandwiched between erotica’s scandalous era and ray of light’s success

human nature was a hit, but really paled in comparison to the rest of madge’s discography and hasn’t had the longevity of her other singles. i kinda of see million reasons’ trajectory the same way

Madonna had her longest running number one hit with Bedtime Stories. Take A Bow topped the charts for 7 weeks. Secret almost topped the charts. Joanne didn’t have any big hits and they were all very short-lived. Erotica itself was overlooked because of the Sex book controversy while ARTPOP didn’t have any controversies outside of SXSW.

Glamourpuss
3 hours ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

With that analogy...

The whole world was waiting and salivating at the thought of her next meal. Then she made some cute little breadsticks while the people starved.

At least she refrained from feeding us scraps (ARTPOP act 2). 

FentyGa
10 hours ago, AJRocketMan said:

Madonna had her longest running number one hit with Bedtime Stories. Take A Bow topped the charts for 7 weeks. Secret almost topped the charts. Joanne didn’t have any big hits and they were all very short-lived. Erotica itself was overlooked because of the Sex book controversy while ARTPOP didn’t have any controversies outside of SXSW.

oh i fully forgot about take a bow :toofunny:

but also, i mean, case and point

as for erotica/ARTPOP, im not necessarily making a full career comparison, just specifically bedtime stories/joanne.

it was just an example, anyway. another would be charmbracelet for mariah or rebirth for jlo.

Archived