💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was Lover an underperfomance?

hankhatesyouall

Featured Posts

Damn, you guys' standards are way high up in the sky

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AJRocketMan

I think she’s more into using this album as a means to celebrate her artistic freedom than she is into earning the highest numbers she possibly can (like with her previous records).

androiduser

Not sure... the singles didn't do that great, but the album did really well in the first few weeks.... I think the problem is that Taylor's albums are a big even when they come out, and all the major sales happen in the first few weeks, and then it seems like everything just fizzles out. Overall, I think she did okay, but this ain't 1989 for sure.

Fantina

Idk,

I think Lover is a huge success, a really powerful album with many good songs. Also am I the only one who liked ME! :oops:

I thought the song was soooo cute and fun to sing along :staymad:

STREAM LEGENDARY ON HBO MAX

FRANK1991
21 hours ago, Autumn said:

what tracks would you consider filler?

let's just say I love 

Cruel Summer,Lover,The Man,Afterglow,Daylight (strong melodies, slower pace, and strong vocals/hooks)

Cause once you let it go you better know it's gone

RochestrMonstr

Some people are like “Let’s be honest, it was a flop.”

Then some people are like “Let’s be honest, it was a smash.”

I guess it’s all about point of view on this one. There isn’t one right answer.

edengowon
4 hours ago, FRANK1991 said:

let's just say I love 

Cruel Summer,Lover,The Man,Afterglow,Daylight (strong melodies, slower pace, and strong vocals/hooks)

Miss Americana, Soon You'll Get Better, London Boy, Cornelia Street and Paper Rings are definitely not filler

The only song I will even remotely consider filler is False God

the artist formerly known as melancholia

jaXXXon
On 10/13/2019 at 9:22 PM, Spock said:

Those comparions make no sense. Can any of them write a song like Taylor? She is her own artist in her own lane. You're comparing not only different artists, but artists that are also more years into their careers than her. Without seemingly having any of the things you mentioned, she is still able to sell out stadiums and festivals to record breaking grosses, while I don't see Britney or Beyonce or Christina or Rihanna doing that. I would say she's doing fine.

And are you actually saying that Taylor doesn't have a successful crossover appeal when she started as a country artist and 1989 was one of the biggest POP eras of the decade my a milestone? okay sweaty

I never said she wasn't hugely successful but she still has things left to prove. She's not 30 years into her career with Oscars, gazillion #1 hits and iconic hits. Especially considering her global success started in 2012, so she should still be upping her game, as should everyone else. 

Beyoncé sells out stadiums as well and is clearly the bigger celebrity. She also has more to prove because she's still a relatively young female artist. That's all I'm saying. You're saying this like Taylor is on Madonna's or Cher's level. She isn't yet. 

StrawberryBlond

I think it was. But for her standards. I'm honestly shocked that in 2019's music landscape, she couldn't get a #1 single. This is the year for strange, unexpected #1's. This year will go down in history for being one of the weirdest years for hit music ever. Not only, against all the odds, Gaga got a #1, so did newcomers like Billie Eilish and Lizzo. A weird rap/country mash-up broke the record for the longest #1 of all time. The Jonas Brothers got their first ever #1. The Jonas Brothers. So, I'm sorry, in a landscape such as this, there is no excuse for Taylor not to go to #1, even if it was just one week. Her fanbase must have dwindled a fair bit if they couldn't get any of her songs to the top considering she's had her lead singles for the last 3 albums debut at #1. The singles have had nowhere near the impact that her 1989 singles did, or even what LWYMMD did. Lover (the single) is going nowhere and she still hasn't announced a new single even though this one has been dead from the outset. She'll still pull in money from album sales and she's doing alright with her very limited tour dates, playing it safe. But she's entering a new phase of her career now, and has been since Reputation. Maybe one big hit at best and then it all falls away. She simply burned too hot at her peak and has been too consistent for too long and the public are starting to move on. Not saying she'll disappear but I think her days as a massive single hitmaker are behind her. And just as she was getting the hang of this international thing as well.

Smother Em Eh

Yes, the singles were meh and the album is generic and boring. 

Wheres the artistic growth Taylor? 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

AJRocketMan
4 minutes ago, Smother Em Eh said:

Yes, the singles were meh and the album is generic and boring. 

Wheres the artistic growth Taylor? 

And yet you’re not asking Gaga the same thing?

21 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

I never said she wasn't hugely successful but she still has things left to prove. She's not 30 years into her career with Oscars, gazillion #1 hits and iconic hits. Especially considering her global success started in 2012, so she should still be upping her game, as should everyone else. 

Beyoncé sells out stadiums as well and is clearly the bigger celebrity. She also has more to prove because she's still a relatively young female artist. That's all I'm saying. You're saying this like Taylor is on Madonna's or Cher's level. She isn't yet. 

I never said Taylor was on Cher’s or Madonna’s level. I said that in terms of success she has nothing left to prove, which she doesn’t, because she is almost unmatched in today’s music landscape

not having the pressure to deliver success after success anymore allows her to focus more on her artistry, which is the way to go now that she’s in a different phase of her career. And what you’re saying proves my point. If legend Beyoncé is able to sell out stadiums, then not legend Taylor also being able to do the same (while outgrossing her) means she’s obviously doing something right.

Taylor has had successful singles but has mainly been an album artist through her career. Lover proves that, so not having a “gazillion #1s” doesn’t mean anything because people focus on other things when it comes to her, and had been able to become massive without having any #1 hit prior to Red

who will love me when the night is over

Smother Em Eh
5 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

And yet you’re not asking Gaga the same thing?

What are you talking about? 

AJRocketMan
1 minute ago, Smother Em Eh said:

What are you talking about? 

Gaga didn’t display any artistic growth on Joanne and A Star Is Born. You’re gonna comment on Lover not being a step forward yet you’re not gonna say anything about Gaga simply because you’re a stan?

Smother Em Eh
2 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

Gaga didn’t display any artistic growth on Joanne and A Star Is Born. You’re gonna comment on Lover not being a step forward yet you’re not gonna say anything about Gaga simply because you’re a stan?

Ok, first of ASIB is just a movie soundtrack so it really doesn’t count. Also I knew this was going to be about Joanne. Joanne isn’t a bad album and was a completely different sound from anything Gaga has ever done. 

Also, yes I was just commenting on how generic and boring Lover was especially with all the hype Taylor gets constantly. 

Archived