💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was Lover an underperfomance?

hankhatesyouall

Featured Posts

2School4Cool

Well, you can’t get into the car without hearing a song from it on the radio, it charted at number one in several countries around the globe, and I for one listen to the whole album constantly. I would say it’s a massive success.

See The Best In Everyone

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quartz

It all boils down to quality. 1989 and reputation were albums with edge. Lover was just eh, and the numbers show. It's the first era that disappointed me in terms of quality since Red.

Bottom line, it's an underperformance in my book.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

It’s nice to always see the same people in these kinds of threads who dislike her but always seem to check up on ha :fan:

Though the album is a slight decline for her standards it is still a major success, and on her “flop” era is outselling the other girls that are meant to be at their peaks. And we all know the era would have had two #1 singles if it weren’t for that meme song 

She managed to turn around the ME! negativity and deliver a critically acclaimed album, and she’s at a point in her career where she has always served consistent success and has nothing left to prove

who will love me when the night is over

jaXXXon
3 hours ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

Well, that's a point of view (:ally:), but let's just hope that LG6 can do as well as Lover

Worldwide? Absolutely. Gaga's sales have always been stronger than the average Swift album WW. Globally, cumulatively, LG6 will sell more than Lover if it's a hit. 

jaXXXon
43 minutes ago, Spock said:

and she’s at a point in her career where she has always served consistent success and has nothing left to prove

Nothing left to prove? How about having a legacy as iconic as Beyoncé's? Hits as iconic as Britney's? A voice as iconic as Xtina's? Crossover appeal as successful as Rihanna's? Or looks and hits as memorable as Gaga's? How about at least a dozen of successful WW hits? She has NONE of that, so she's got A LOT to prove.... :ladyhaha:

I'm not sure about an underperformance but certainly underwhelming 

It’s a flop when comparing to herself- but I believe it’s the largest selling album of a female artist so far this year. It definetely the the biggest 1st week sales. I think single choices were the biggest problems this era. “Lover” is such a weak single- and a skippable track on the album. 

Another problem is this album wont age well. It’s very trendy with the genres and sounds generic throughout. Not one song has an incredible melody or cohesive sing along style. “Death by A thousand cuts” is probably the best in my opinion. She might need to take a couple years off for once, regroup, and come back with something similar to “Speak now”, Red or 1989. I really enjoyed this album for about two weeks- but I haven’t found myself going back to it since.  That’s not a good thing. 

Ally Campana

It’s the singles. I disliked ME! and YNTCD very very much as singles. Lover is good as a single. Cruel Summer should’ve been the lead, followed by Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince, then Lover. The singles, though they have good peaks, are not sticking with the GP nor are they memorable (to me). That’s why the era as a whole feels like a non-event. 

The album was great, especially the lyrics, but I do feel like there are too many fillers and if she had cut off a few songs, it would’ve been a masterpiece. All in all, it’s her single choices that effects the era in a bad way. 

Does it matter? Damage is done

TheFame Monster
10 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

Nothing left to prove? How about having a legacy as iconic as Beyoncé's? Hits as iconic as Britney's? A voice as iconic as Xtina's? Crossover appeal as successful as Rihanna's? Or looks and hits as memorable as Gaga's? How about at least a dozen of successful WW hits? She has NONE of that, so she's got A LOT to prove.... :ladyhaha:

taylor-swift-grammys-5.jpgswift-speechwin.jpgtaylor-swift-grammys-2010-1360344304-cusgrammy-taylor_2476676b.jpgtaylorswift.jpg

8 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

In terms of success and power in the music industry? no she doesn't have anything left to prove, her numbers and achievements speak for themselves and only a delusional person would think otherwise

Those comparions make no sense. Can any of them write a song like Taylor? She is her own artist in her own lane. You're comparing not only different artists, but artists that are also more years into their careers than her. Without seemingly having any of the things you mentioned, she is still able to sell out stadiums and festivals to record breaking grosses, while I don't see Britney or Beyonce or Christina or Rihanna doing that. I would say she's doing fine.

And are you actually saying that Taylor doesn't have a successful crossover appeal when she started as a country artist and 1989 was one of the biggest POP eras of the decade my a milestone? okay sweaty

who will love me when the night is over

ANTI WP
41 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

Nothing left to prove?

she dont have to prove anything to you .

How about having a legacy as iconic as Beyoncé's?

She has a legacy

Hits as iconic as Britney's? 1989 and red singles

A voice as iconic as Xtina's?

she is not a vocalist 

Crossover appeal as successful as Rihanna's?

the whole red era literally exists 

looks and hits as memorable as Gaga's?

you belong with me  and love story are memorable hits 

How about at least a dozen of successful WW hits?

what do you mean ?? Shake it off and blank space are WW hits 

She has NONE of that, so she's got A LOT to prove.... :ladyhaha:

Bonus : she is one of the biggest seller in music industry 

😊

Gagaism

I love her but the only song on the album that takes my attention is Miss Americana. Unfortunately is not a good album (for me).

gumzy3000

Lmao, Taylor has been in her career for 13 years now and she still managed massive album sales and 2 #2 singles. Hugely impressive, especially when all the pop girls from before 2014ish are actually flopping. :reductive:

And comparing a 13 year career to Post Malone, Ariana and Billie is ridiculous because they are fairly new. Let’s not forget the Dangerous Woman era for Ariana :reductive:

Last but not least, if Gaga managed to pull off the numbers Lover had, ya’ll bitcxes will be screaming “queen”, “slay”, etc. :trollga: And that’s the TEA, honey :reductive:

trolly troll troll

Taylucifer

An absolute flop. Taylor definitely could have fixed that by choosing different singles but she's a bit cool:huntyga:

1989 (TV) is out NOW

Taylucifer
10 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

Lmao, Taylor has been in her career for 13 years now and she still managed massive album sales and 2 #2 singles. Hugely impressive, especially when all the pop girls from before 2014ish are actually flopping. :reductive:

And comparing a 13 year career to Post Malone, Ariana and Billie is ridiculous because they are fairly new. Let’s not forget the Dangerous Woman era for Ariana :reductive:

Last but not least, if Gaga managed to pull off the numbers Lover had, ya’ll bitcxes will be screaming “queen”, “slay”, etc. :trollga: And that’s the TEA, honey :reductive:

But they are different, it's all relative. Taylor is expected to sell 1 million plus in its first week in the US, she didn't. Her lead single, considering who she is, definitely should have been able to dethrone Old Town Road, if only for a week, but she didn't. She should hold the top of the billboard 200 for at least 3 weeks but she only had it for 1 or 2 (granted that was unfortunate due to album after album being released), but she didn't. Therefore a flop and definitely an under performance. And THAT'S the TEA, HONEY:reductive:

1989 (TV) is out NOW

Archived