Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriating

Luna Lovegood

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, RAMROD said:

Is this person Western born Vietnamese  by chance? :fan:

Cos LBR actual Vietnamese, like other Asian Asians communities wouldn't mind, and even happy that people recognise their culture or traditional fashion.

Don’t speak for us :fan:

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RAMROD
52 minutes ago, gag said:

Don’t speak for us :fan:

True. It always makes me laughed when I remembered that one picture where the SJWs were getting lectured by actual Japanese women when they caught  these people protesting about Cultural appropriation in Boston cos non Japanese wearing Kimonos and such when it is non issue for actual Japanese. :lmao:

ZNC1gPPEdEzsnQTA70xrRKZPZGPtoyuOUHsSyX2P

It's been proven time and time and time and time again, that actual Asians never mind it when foreign people wear their traditional clothing  or other things of their culture, they actually  encouraged that. The SJWs are just lunatic brigade that have too much time to do about self guilt with their previlege so they did this kind of thing, trying to speak for somebody, when nobody ask them to, to make themselves fel better. :lmao:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

thatfoxyfeeling

She looks fab but at the same time looks like she is about to shoot a ****o. 

MJHolland
13 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

Yeah, this is definitely cultural misappropriation. 

Her stylist or herself just thought it looked good and probably didn’t bother to do research about the cultural meaning this particular outfit has. 

PSA: Other cultures may have actual meaningful reasons to wear certain outfits and don’t just wear them for promo shoots and later discard said outfit. 

Sorry... but fashion is not appropriation 

From my very limited research on this outfit, it just seems to be a popular dress. There's not spiritual/religious/ceremonial connection to it. It's just fashion, and fashion is meant to be interpreted and shared by everyone. 

MJHolland
11 hours ago, ANTI WP said:

whats wrong with wearing high heeled boots ?

there are many muslim women wear them 

To the same point -- what's wrong with showing your hips?

MJHolland
11 hours ago, ANTI WP said:

kacey worn the traditional Áo Dài

kacey altered the traditional dress 

So was it the traditional dress or did she alter it? 

You're literally not making sense 

Both Gaga and Kacey altered the dresses to make them their own 

Also, the Áo Dài has no special cultural value outside of fashion. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But fashion is meant to be interpreted and shared by everyone. Fashion shouldn't be considered appropriation. 

Morphine Prince
18 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

Sorry... but fashion is not appropriation 

From my very limited research on this outfit, it just seems to be a popular dress. There's not spiritual/religious/ceremonial connection to it. It's just fashion, and fashion is meant to be interpreted and shared by everyone. 

Crosses have been a part of fashion for ages yet actually do have religious meaning to people. 

Not everyone will sit down and let their culture or religion be made into a fashion accessory and that's perfectly fine with me. 

Morphine Prince
4 hours ago, gag said:

I’m Vietnamese, born and raised in Vietnam, so might as well give my two cents.

This is eye roll worthy but that’s all there is to it. Not malicious but definitely a case of misappropriation when someone isn’t educated in another culture. People would’ve been thrilled if she hadn’t taken the costume out of context and sexualised it. Doing so just taps into the long history of Western ‘yellow fever’ and perpetuates the stereotype of Asian (esp. Southeast Asian women) being exotic, hyper-sexual ‘geishas‘ or whatever.

And here it is, folks. An actual person who has a cultural connection giving their opinion. 

Do all Vietnamese people think the same? Probably not. 

But there is an issue with her fashion choice and for you all to come in here and proclaim that it is a fact that there is NO ISSUE is quite ignorant. 

No one is saying Kacey should be cancelled or that she's a horrible person. An eye roll is a good description of this. The people who are so rabid to come after anyone mentioning "cultural appropriation" are more bothered over people taking issue with this than the actual people who pointed it out in the first place. Pathetic. 

ltlmnstr
4 hours ago, gag said:

This is eye roll worthy but that’s all there is to it. Not malicious but definitely a case of misappropriation when someone isn’t educated in another culture. People would’ve been thrilled if she hadn’t taken the costume out of context and sexualised it. Doing so just taps into the long history of Western ‘yellow fever’ and perpetuates the stereotype of Asian (esp. Southeast Asian women) being exotic, hyper-sexual ‘geishas‘ or whatever.

Another Vietnamese here too

We have similar trains of thought.

She really wore the top without the pants...she looks hilarious imo!

Also, Rihanna never wore an Áo Dài. The neckline wasn’t a collar. And it was sleeveless. With Ankhs. People in this thread are implying Egypt has something to do with Vietnamese Culture.

Another tidbit: America has a huge history of racism and imperialism. Race issues of Whites stealing from minorities and making it a fad dates back many many decades. Saying “actual vietnamese people wouldn’t be offended” implies that 1. Vietnamese Anericans are not considered Vietnamese (which is racist and tokenism) and 2. Implies that Vietnamese in Vietnam understand completely the racial structures of America (which the propaganda and advertisement that “America is the greatest country in the world” ignores)

Also, huge sideeye at all the edits of people being called out to seem not racist. “Taiwan” we all saw that...

MJHolland
4 hours ago, gag said:

First off, thank you for adding your voice to the conversation. 

I understand that it's not appropriate to perpetuate stereotypes, but I feel like the example you gave is kind of a reach. 

I also have an issue with telling people that they can only participate in speech (ie the freedom of fashion) only when some people get to judge it as acceptable. 

Especially when it comes to women, who are judged a lot harsher in terms of how they can and cannot express their sexuality compared to men.

7 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Crosses have been a part of fashion for ages yet actually do have religious meaning to people. 

Not everyone will sit down and let their culture or religion be made into a fashion accessory and that's perfectly fine with me. 

Huh?

What I'm saying is that this specific dress that Kacey is wearing is not some sacred cultural garment. It's just a dress. Again, please correct me if I am wrong. 

Plus, it was a dress that was in fact inspired by "western"/America fashion in the first place. 

I totally get the idea that sacred garments — like feather headdresses — should not be miss-appropriated. I don't understand the concept that regional fashion can only be worn and interpreted by people in that region. I just guess I don't understand the line of appropriation anymore if this is considered "bad". 

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, MJHolland said:

What I'm saying is that this specific dress that Kacey is wearing is not some sacred cultural garment. It's just a dress. Again, please correct me if I am wrong. 

Plus, it was a dress that was in fact inspired by "western"/America fashion in the first place. 

I totally get the idea that sacred garments — like feather headdresses — should not be miss-appropriated. I don't understand the concept that regional fashion can only be worn and interpreted by people in that region. I just guess I don't understand the line of appropriation anymore if this is considered "bad". 

My point is something like the cross, that has a religious meaning, has been hijacked in the name of fashion forever. 

What I was saying is not everyone has to be ok with you taking something that has some cultural/religious meaning to it and potentially misrepresenting/capitalizing from it. 

I am 100% fine with inspiration and the blend of cultures. We live in a global society and I think it's cool how different cultures have interacted in the world. My issue is when people have zero knowledge of something that may have a deeper meaning and take it and bastardize it. Even worse when they capitalize from it. 

ltlmnstr
7 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Even worse when they capitalize from it. 

Yeah fashion is one of the worst environmental capitalist structures on the planet giving way to much of pollution due to fast fashion from fads and trends, which most of the time offer an inauthentic view of cultural exchange. 

MJHolland
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

My point is something like the cross, that has a religious meaning, has been hijacked in the name of fashion forever. 

What I was saying is not everyone has to be ok with you taking something that has some cultural/religious meaning to it and potentially misrepresenting/capitalizing from it. 

I am 100% fine with inspiration and the blend of cultures. We live in a global society and I think it's cool how different cultures have interacted in the world. My issue is when people have zero knowledge of something that may have a deeper meaning and take it and bastardize it. Even worse when they capitalize from it. 

Totally! I have the same concerns as you and a lot of other folks in this thread. At the end of the day, if people don't want it to happen, I would respect that and hope others would too.

I guess my question is whether you think that is going on here? 

For example, I'm uncomfortable with people saying "well, you can wear certain things as long as you don't sexualize it." I'm a pretty sex-positive person, and I think women are especially suppressed when people tell them they cannot express their sexuality or show their bodies. 

Kacey showing her skin is considered bastardization, but showing skin was the spearhead of the women's liberation movement. 

Archived