Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriating

Luna Lovegood

Featured Posts

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Temptation
3 minutes ago, PinkPop said:

Cultural appropriation is more about western countries appropriating things from less economically developed countries.

Majority of western countries are economically developed and have a lot of power. If a Western wears something from another country for example, it has the ability to hit the media because of the control the west has over the media. An eastern country doesn't have that same power. For example - look at the way India is depicted. Slums and all poor people begging for food. That isn't the case in the whole of India and is a huge stereotype. But because the west portray it like that, most people think of India in that way. Do you understand my point?

Even if you're not a minority or from a line of non-western immigrants, you should still try to understand.

I think cultural appropriation is often, and erroneously used synonymously with the idea of artistic fraud, where the rich or famous steal ideas from the poor and not so famous without giving credit. I mean that is unfair, but it’s a fact of business life. 

Identifying it with racism is just silly because all it is is cultural diffusion. The ancient Greeks even called it cosmopolitanism. Art inspires copycats. Is that wrong?

PunkTheFunk

This is not cultural appropriation :fail:  Cultural appropriation would be if she added this garment to her merch store and called it the Yee Haw Dress.

ANTI WP
8 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

This is so toxic. People can wear whatever they want.

yes they can wear whatever they want 

but it must be in a correct way without offending the people who started wearing them at first 

ANTI WP
4 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

This is not cultural appropriation :fail:  Cultural appropriation would be if she added this garment to her merch store and called it the Yee Haw Dress.

i am sorry legend ..... it is cultural appropriation 

you cannot alter some elements of others and get away with that ....

ElectricKing
6 minutes ago, A Hybrid said:

Cultural appropriation is not a problem lmao

It is.

1) It lets people who didn't create the garment for example get credit for it, because marginalised people from poorer backgrounds don't have the chance to be recognised.

2) It allows white people to say 'because we're wearing it, it's cool' - when if it's a POC/someone from an eastern country it's 'weird'

3) It spreads the wrong message about the nation/culture it derives from and builds on stereotypes.

Please educate yourself, before you throw your deliberately controversial ignorant remarks around.

RenegAde
19 minutes ago, PinkPop said:

It is.

1) It lets people who didn't create the garment for example get credit for it, because marginalised people from poorer backgrounds don't have the chance to be recognised.

2) It allows white people to say 'because we're wearing it, it's cool' - when if it's a POC/someone from an eastern country it's 'weird'

3) It spreads the wrong message about the nation/culture it derives from and builds on stereotypes.

Please educate yourself, before you throw your deliberately controversial ignorant remarks around.

White people aren't the only people that are guilty of appropriation, the statement you made that "it allows white people "  is very problematic  and racist low key.....since we all want to be overly sensitive today :ladyhaha:

A Hybrid
18 minutes ago, PinkPop said:

It is.

1) Literally what? Nobody in their right mind would believe that this is a part of the European-originated culture. 

2) I don’t know if you think it’s cool when white people wear it, I don’t, just like many people who manage to think as individuals. If there are people who find it weird when a POC wears something like this and not Kacey Musgraves, it’s their problem.

3) Okay, but I don’t see how adding something from your taste/culture to something that originates from somewhere else hurts it. Culture has grown this way ever since people of different cultures started interacting.

If someone was to wear something out of my culture (Turkish) with a western addition I’d be fine with it. You’re the one who should educate yourself and grow up. You’re too far deep into the American media that you can’t see the real problems in the world. 

EDIT: I’m sorry if I was being too harsh, it’s opinions after all. The fact that you told me to “educate” myself just got to me. I’d just be fine not arguing further. 

No family’s safe when I sashay

I prob sound like a broken record but I still don’t understand why KPOP isn’t regarded as an entire industry of cultural appropriation... Iggy has a blaccent etc but they’re ok? Idgi

I agree this is distasteful.. at least if they just loved the dress they should’ve not put other cultural elements like the headpiece

ANTI WP
10 minutes ago, Phlop said:

Gaga literally wore a burqa and dreads. Let’s not.

Also not cultural appropriation.

Lady gaga wore them in a correct way ( that's the whole point of this thread ) 

SIT DOWN AND READ BELOW ( was'nt you the one wished death for Tony Bennett  )

14 minutes ago, PinkPop said:

It is.

2) It allows rich people to say 'because we're wearing it, it's cool' - when if it's a POC/someone from an eastern country it's 'weird'

ElectricKing
2 minutes ago, ANTI WP said:

Lady gaga wore them in a correct way ( that's the whole point of this thread ) 

SIT DOWN AND READ BELOW ( was'nt you the one wished death for Tony Bennett  )

We've made our point and if they still don't get it, there's no point arguing with people who don't want to understand. There's no point wasting our time on people who clearly have been brought up to believe a certain way.

Archived