💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriating

Luna Lovegood

Featured Posts

Guillaume Hamon
19 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

Not really. The people who “don’t care” come in threads like this in droves to dismiss everything. 

I don't think that all they do is "dismissing everything", it often seems to be about giving an other vision imo.

No one is actually pissed off.

Seing certain deeply annoyed comments I would disagree so I guess we didn't take it the same way. :) 

I just can’t imagine coming into a thread to dismiss people’s thoughts every single time over something I don’t think is real or care about. 

Well again I globally saw it more as giving an other vision rather than just people "dismissing people's thoughts" so we must perceive it differently.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Versace

It's not my culture for me to say whether it's offensive or not. However, it is distasteful in my eye. The thread showed how beautifully worn the dress is and then you have Kacey popping out her badly tanned thighs and awkwardly posing :bradley:

BleepBloop

Why is this still a thing. CULTURAL APPROPRIATION IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT CREATED BY OVERSENSITIVE PEOPLE

I'm Vietnamese and I saw foreigners wearing Ao Dai all the time and they got warm reactions from the locals since they do it justice and respect the garment. Kacey made it look tacky so people in VN got pissed. 

That's all!

Morphine Prince
4 hours ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

I don't think that all they do is "dismissing everything", it often seems to be about giving an other vision imo.

Seing certain deeply annoyed comments I would disagree so I guess we didn't take it the same way. :) 

Well again I globally saw it more as giving an other vision rather than just people "dismissing people's thoughts" so we must perceive it differently.

Saying "There is no issue" when actual Vietnamese people have expressed their concern is 100% dismissing and erasing people's thoughts. It's not about perception, that is a fact. 

StrawberryBlond
16 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Saying "There is no issue" when actual Vietnamese people have expressed their concern is 100% dismissing and erasing people's thoughts. It's not about perception, that is a fact.

Just because someone has given their opinion doesn't mean they're automatically dismissing everyone else's. One vision doesn't erase another. They're saying in their minds, it's not an issue, which they have every right to do. Perhaps, they hope that by outlining why it's not an issue to them, it'll change the minds of those who do have an issue with it. I've had my mind changed by people with very convincing arguments, it happens. I said previously that you have to realise that both cultural takes can be equally as valid. One culture values dressing according to cultural norms and the other believes in wearing whatever they want without being made to feel bad about it. I'm sure you yourself, living in a Western nation, would feel very offended if someone tried to tell you what you should and shouldn't wear. Criticising what I'm wearing is one thing, criticising how I'm wearing it and my right to wear it is very offensive to me. Clothes only mean what you want them to mean. Of course when a Vietnamese woman wears this, it means something a bit different to when an American woman does. But that's ok. It's just clothes. It's not that deep.

And by the way, what do you make of that story of that white American girl who wore that Chinese qipao dress to her prom? She got so many angry comments from people claiming she was culturally appropriating. This was despite the fact that she was wearing the outfit correctly and respectfully: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kassycho/keziah-daum-prom-qipao-cheongsam

Now, I've been told many times that utilising something from a different culture isn't problematic so long as you're not disrespecting it and the disrespect is what makes it cultural appropriation. As in the case of this girl, she was doing everything right and still there were people not wanting her to wear it. Doesn't that tell you that there's a bigger agenda at work here among some people, to actively make white people feel bad for indulging in other cultures? And actual Chinese people didn't have a problem, by the way, as per usual. So, who's right?

Morphine Prince
Just now, StrawberryBlond said:

Just because someone has given their opinion doesn't mean they're automatically dismissing everyone else's. One vision doesn't erase another. They're saying in their minds, it's not an issue, which they have every right to do. Perhaps, they hope that by outlining why it's not an issue to them, it'll change the minds of those who do have an issue with it. I've had my mind changed by people with very convincing arguments, it happens. I said previously that you have to realise that both cultural takes can be equally as valid. One culture values dressing according to cultural norms and the other believes in wearing whatever they want without being made to feel bad about it. I'm sure you yourself, living in a Western nation, would feel very offended if someone tried to tell you what you should and shouldn't wear. Criticising what I'm wearing is one thing, criticising how I'm wearing it and my right to wear it is very offensive to me. Clothes only mean what you want them to mean. Of course when a Vietnamese woman wears this, it means something a bit different to when an American woman does. But that's ok. It's just clothes. It's not that deep.

And by the way, what do you make of that story of that white American girl who wore that Chinese qipao dress to her prom? She got so many angry comments from people claiming she was culturally appropriating. This was despite the fact that she was wearing the outfit correctly and respectfully: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kassycho/keziah-daum-prom-qipao-cheongsam

Now, I've been told many times that utilising something from a different culture isn't problematic so long as you're not disrespecting it and the disrespect is what makes it cultural appropriation. As in the case of this girl, she was doing everything right and still there were people not wanting her to wear it. Doesn't that tell you that there's a bigger agenda at work here among some people, to actively make white people feel bad for indulging in other cultures? And actual Chinese people didn't have a problem, by the way, as per usual. So, who's right?

It doesn't matter what you think if the facts are there. If someone from X culture said they didn't like it, it's an issue. Period. 

You can think over and over it shouldn't be an issue but blatantly ignoring people's ACTUAL concerns and stating your indifference is FACT is not only rude, it's completely ignorant. 

StrawberryBlond
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

It doesn't matter what you think if the facts are there. If someone from X culture said they didn't like it, it's an issue. Period. 

You can think over and over it shouldn't be an issue but blatantly ignoring people's ACTUAL concerns and stating your indifference is FACT is not only rude, it's completely ignorant. 

Do you take it seriously when its white people's culture being affected? Because if not, that's a double standard.

We're not ignoring the concerns, we're taking them in and seeing how they hold up against logic and reason. I never said any of my opinions were fact. And I think it's very ignorant to completely ignore the arguments from one side. Everyone deserves to be heard.

Morphine Prince
6 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Do you take it seriously when its white people's culture being affected? Because if not, that's a double standard.

We're not ignoring the concerns, we're taking them in and seeing how they hold up against logic and reason. I never said any of my opinions were fact. And I think it's very ignorant to completely ignore the arguments from one side. Everyone deserves to be heard.

Idk why you keep bringing up white people but yes if we were talking about some European cultural dress code that has some special meaning I would think it is rude depending on the context of whatever situation. These things depend on the context. 

Certain people here ARE ignoring concerns. Just read over the multiple ignorant posts in this thread. Especially on the first page when someone asked "what is the issue" when the freakin' OP LITERALLY has a tweet explaining why. It's blatantly ignorant responses like that I am referring to.

No one is ignoring the other side, we clearly see it. Don't make indifference the victim here. 

StrawberryBlond
4 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Idk why you keep bringing up white people but yes if we were talking about some European cultural dress code that has some special meaning I would think it is rude depending on the context of whatever situation. These things depend on the context. 

Certain people here ARE ignoring concerns. Just read over the multiple ignorant posts in this thread. Especially on the first page when someone asked "what is the issue" when the freakin' OP LITERALLY has a tweet explaining why. It's blatantly ignorant responses like that I am referring to.

No one is ignoring the other side, we clearly see it. Don't make indifference the victim here. 

I keep bringing up white people because as is so common in these discussions, there's a tendency to believe that white people's culture doesn't need respecting, protecting and in some cases, apparently doesn't even exist. And their concerns would be brushed off immediately and laughed at. I'm just applying a neutral standpoint here and am treating all the cultures the same. But it's good that you would still treat them the same.

Their statement of "what's the issue" might simply be because they're not bothered in making a big long post like I do. I get why some people don't like the indifference but if there was anything that it's ok to be indifferent about, make it clothes. Being indifferent towards people is far more dangerous. At the end of the day, it's a cultural garment, not a sacred one and therefore, you can hardly apply any rules to it. Someone can wear something out of context if they want to, just because they like it. It's a free country. Most people don't care what the original meaning of a garment is, they just like how it looks in the here and now and wear it. If you've got a problem with that, you shouldn't force that feeling on others. Keep that offence to yourself, it's not worth bothering people about. I don't know where people even find the audacity to @ these celebrities and bash them over little thing. That's far ruder than anything we're saying here. Social media really is toxic when someone can't even post a picture of themselves wearing a dress these days without being made to be feel bad.

Morphine Prince
6 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I keep bringing up white people because as is so common in these discussions, there's a tendency to believe that white people's culture doesn't need respecting, protecting and in some cases, apparently doesn't even exist. And their concerns would be brushed off immediately and laughed at. I'm just applying a neutral standpoint here and am treating all the cultures the same. But it's good that you would still treat them the same.

Their statement of "what's the issue" might simply be because they're not bothered in making a big long post like I do. I get why some people don't like the indifference but if there was anything that it's ok to be indifferent about, make it clothes. Being indifferent towards people is far more dangerous. At the end of the day, it's a cultural garment, not a sacred one and therefore, you can hardly apply any rules to it. Someone can wear something out of context if they want to, just because they like it. It's a free country. Most people don't care what the original meaning of a garment is, they just like how it looks in the here and now and wear it. If you've got a problem with that, you shouldn't force that feeling on others. Keep that offence to yourself, it's not worth bothering people about. I don't know where people even find the audacity to @ these celebrities and bash them over little thing. That's far ruder than anything we're saying here. Social media really is toxic when someone can't even post a picture of themselves wearing a dress these days without being made to be feel bad.

NO ONE is saying everyone should be offended. 

It’s the indifferent people like yourself who continue to refuse to see why someone else is offended and why it’s valid. 

As this post of your confirms, you are pushing your indifference onto everyone else and have no regard for how others feel about THEIR cultural/sacred symbols.

Luna Lovegood

a hit thread omfg I would like to thank the academy...

luna’s advocate

ANTI WP
46 minutes ago, River Phoenix said:

a hit thread omfg I would like to thank the academy...

Congrats :stalkga:

How is that cultural appropriation?:ladyhaha::ladyhaha::ladyhaha:

People on Twitter need to chill, because they're really getting pathetic. She doesn't sell the dress, and she didn't pretend that she was the designer. She's not appropriating any culture and that's a fact. And even if she did, it wouldn't be that deep, no need to make a scandal over nothing :interestinga:

Archived