Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

AHS: 1984 Episode 04 score - 93%

Bradley

Featured Posts

Bradley

RT score: 93% based on 15 reviews.

father-son-holy-gore-american-horror-sto

TV Fanatic: The best episode of American Horror Story Season 9. It had thrills, chills, and everything in between.

Daily Grindhouse: Another well-crafted entry in the superb season of American Horror Story: 1984.

The Wrap: The pair of episodes (E03 and E04) definitely hit the sweet spot for this famously wild series.

Bloody Disgusting: "True Killers" keeps the hectic momentum for American Horror Story: 1984 going.

ComicBook.com: 1984 was promised to fans as a 1980s horror slasher take on FX's horror anthology series and it's certainly lived up to that promise.

Den of Geek: American Horror Story is about immediate and intense gratification. "True Killers" carries on that tradition, blowing through a lot of twists and turns. A lot of the twists in this episode are foreshadowed very effectively throughout the run thus far. That AHS isn't even trying to extend out the plot suggests that they're fine with burning off the incredibly long night of the killing spree and have something in their pockets for the latter half of the season. Jay Beattie's script does a solid job of peppering the quippy jokes throughout and keeping the laugh lines coming without sacrificing any of the scary business. Director Jennifer Lynch [...] seems to have a particular talent for creepy imagery, and making the most of her jump-scares.

Variety: Andrea Reiher gave a positive review, as she compared the episode to a "good slasher camp movie." It was also a little jarring for the show to seemingly burn through so much plot (and so many characters!) by the end of Episode 4. This season is 10 episodes long; what are the remaining six going to look like?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/american_horror_story/s09/e04

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley

The critics like how they're not dragging the season and instead moving at a faster pace. They also anticipate something different for the second half of the season, probably after Episode 5 where the night of the killing ends.

LilyLark

I feel like it's more focused? AHS Apocalypse was fun but it went off the rails—they just stuffed way too much sh*t in it. However, AHS 1984 has great pacing and a less convoluted storyline. Kind of wondering if Gags might do another AHS project

I feel like I completely disagree with everything LMAO this season feels like a jumbled MESS of a million storylines trying to coexist at the same time.... maybe I'm just not paying attention enough lol 

Chromaticunt

Maybe I was just super tired when I watched the last two episodes but I thought they were really boring and crap. I wasn't remotely scared by anything. Why this season is being rated so highly is a mystery to me. 

Bradley
33 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Kind of wondering if Gags might do another AHS project

I feel like she's gonna work with Ryan Murphy again some time in the future, but not AHS.

Ryan is always creating new shows and I want to see her lead a show single-handedly, kinda in the veins of Amy Adams in Sharp Objects.

Bradley
2 minutes ago, ThatBinch said:

Maybe I was just super tired when I watched the last two episodes but I thought they were really boring and crap. I wasn't remotely scared by anything. Why this season is being rated so highly is a mystery to me. 

Because they weren't trying to scare you. They just wanted to toy with the genre and play with twists and turn.

Why do people expect like Exorcism-level scares when they watch AHS?

Chromaticunt
7 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Because they weren't trying to scare you. They just wanted to toy with the genre and play with twists and turn.

I know the tropes of the genre and there's nothing especially clever or interesting about toying with tropes. 'Scream' already did that 20 years ago and it still managed to be scary. I'm sorry but if I'm not even remotely tense or creeped out by a horror TV show then it's doing something wrong. And I don't expect 'Exorcism-level scares'. All the other seasons have managed to make me feel at the very least a bit tense. 1984 just makes me ready for bed.

Bradley
2 minutes ago, ThatBinch said:

I know the tropes of the genre and there's nothing especially clever or interesting about toying with tropes. 'Scream' already did that 20 years ago and it still managed to be scary. I'm sorry but if I'm not even remotely tense or creeped out by a horror TV show then it's doing something wrong. And I don't expect 'Exorcism-level scares'. All the other seasons have managed to make me feel at the very least a bit tense. 1984 just makes me ready for bed.

I get what you mean but for me, I've never watched AHS to feel 'creeped out'. Coven wasn't scary at all to me, yet it's one of the best seasons. Some of the most mind-blowing scenes in AHS have nothing to do with scares or horror, but rather the absurdity of the plot and how twisted and crazy the universes and characters within are. That's what AHS is best at, and 1984 carries that tradition imo.

I'd think it's more of a drama with a horror setting, rather than straight-out horror. Also comedy is a very important element in the slasher genre, and comedy doesn't exactly escalate tension or scares, but by incorporating that Ryan was able to honour the genre.

monketsharona
36 minutes ago, Bradley said:

Hate about AHS on GGD ? So surprising lol

Honestly I got bored of sharing things about the show here. I made the main thread about new season's news for like 4-5 years, I don't think I'll do the next one for season 10 tbh.

Bubblegum Bitch

I didn't watch episode 04, but this season is great for me! And I'm happy that critics acclaim it!

It's still a very different season from what used to be AHS in it's glory days, but this season catch up a bit, and is a bit more interesting, that episode was great, the way the situation is turning out now is making me very excited for next episode ! 

www.kalderone.com

Chromaticunt
On 10/12/2019 at 8:18 AM, monketsharona said:

Hate about AHS on GGD ? So surprising lol

Honestly I got bored of sharing things about the show here. I made the main thread about new season's news for like 4-5 years, I don't think I'll do the next one for season 10 tbh.

Can you stop acting so precious about other people not sharing the same opinion as you. I've enjoyed the majority of AHS series, I just don't enjoy this one. I'm not going to lavish praise on something for the sake of it.

Bradley
On 10/12/2019 at 3:37 PM, LazyTurtle said:

I didn't watch episode 04, but this season is great for me! And I'm happy that critics acclaim it!

I'm not trying to get your hopes up but personally, I think this is the best episode out of the four. It's really wild and crazy. Go see it. :giveup:

Archived