Jump to content
Stefani Tee
opinion

ARTPOP Doesn't Have Much To Say

Featured Posts

doppelganger

Lyrically, I feel that there is thread on her struggles with addiction and her fame, but what does that have to do with marrying art and pop? The album is fun and adventurous but i still don't understand how it's related to the concept. 

Amazing concept, average execution. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
KEVIN STEVE
20 hours ago, RenegAde2888 said:

I think joanne is weaker lyric wise tbh

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-aw

Aura-ah-ah, aura-ah-ah, aura-ah-ah, aura-ah-ah, aura-ah-ah

Dance! Sex! Art! Pop! Tech!

 

Rocket #9 take off to the planet

Aphrodite lady seashell bikini

Let's blast off to a new dimention in your bedroom.

Take me to your planet, take me to your leader, take me to your Venus, Venus, Venus.

Neptune, go! Now serve Pluto! Saturn? Jupiter! Mercury! Venus, ah-oh!

 

Just ask your gay friends their advice.

You just had a salad today, boulangerie.

 

Step into the room, like it's a catwalk.

Singing to the tune, just to keep them talking.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheFameGagster
20 minutes ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-aw

Aura-ah-ah, aura-ah-ah, aura-ah-ah, aura-ah-ah, aura-ah-ah

Dance! Sex! Art! Pop! Tech!

 

Rocket #9 take off to the planet

Aphrodite lady seashell bikini

Let's blast off to a new dimention in your bedroom.

Take me to your planet, take me to your leader, take me to your Venus, Venus, Venus.

Neptune, go! Now serve Pluto! Saturn? Jupiter! Mercury! Venus, ah-oh!

 

Just ask your gay friends their advice.

You just had a salad today, boulangerie.

 

Step into the room, like it's a catwalk.

Singing to the tune, just to keep them talking.

lit rally iconic

hoeanne could never

  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
androiduser
13 hours ago, ryansamonster said:

I always felt like the ART came from the videos, performances, fashion, etc.

The POP came from the music. Gaga May have said a million things about this album before it was released but never did she say “Oh this music is soo ARTY so it’s ARTPOP!!”

That's one way to see it, but the album itself came out before all the videos, looks, photos etc, and you can only listen to it as music... I mean, sure, everything else adds another dimension, but you can't listen to a song and think "well, it's going to be ART once the music video comes out in 6 months" .

In my opinion, the music itself didn't really live up to the big theory behind it.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustJames

Thus, the biggest issue with her announcing its name so far in advance, in my opinion. The final product was much more 'Aura' or split into 4 EPs 'Dance. Sex. Art. Pop.' I wish we could hear and see her final vision for both the Aura lead single and its video. I have to believe the radio edit would have skipped through the intro but then it's without a bridge... but, the chorus is freakin gorgeous. But, the "I killed my former..." line - while associated with the character Beyonce played in Telephone - may have been the critical link we needed that would have shown how she was dismantling the popstar construct that had become Lady Gaga in order for the art of her musical content to become the focal point of her work. 

I mean, she basically showed us this same concept in her Applause video and VMA performance. She slowly dismantled her former constructs one-by-one and left us with either the Aphrodite look or simply a girl in a simple black, skin-tight... catsuit? Not sure what to call that look. But, no doubt it she stripped herself of her 'formers' there. But, the DWUW debacle halted any chance to continue that vision and storyline. G.U.Y. could possibly be then interpreted as the fallen construct hunted by the predatory industry that is revived by pop?

No matter what, she was at her peak in terms of generating ideas. Looking at what pop has turned into since then makes me sad to think what might have been had she remained active in surrounding herself with the right people to harness her creativity into actionable, relatable, commercial concepts from 28 - 33 rather than having to perform at every damn award show to try and earn back respect she never should have lost.

  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
djBuffoon

I believe that if Gaga had released the album without saying much, and titled it Venus or something, the album would have been better off. She made some very interesting observations about artistry and persona and pop culture in her interviews, but they don't have much to do with the album. The lyrics and themes are more about love, empowerment, triumphing over different types of abuse (sexual, drug), and generally feeling yourself on a deeper level.

If Born This Way was about healing the fans, then ARTPOP was more about healing herself, in my opinion. And the topics it brings up are not necessarily new (what is?), but I think the way she addresses them is extremely entertaining, fun, and uniquely Gaga.

Edited by djBuffoon

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
ryansamonster
5 hours ago, androiduser said:

That's one way to see it, but the album itself came out before all the videos, looks, photos etc, and you can only listen to it as music... I mean, sure, everything else adds another dimension, but you can't listen to a song and think "well, it's going to be ART once the music video comes out in 6 months" .

In my opinion, the music itself didn't really live up to the big theory behind it.

I listen to a song and view it as art anyway. You could make a song about tacos and it would still be considered art. You go to a museum and there’s an ugly chair on display, it’s still art despite whatever your personal taste may be. 
 

I don’t think the music was ever meant to be this huge artistic reference of great artists or paintings, etc even though Gaga did reference quite a few during the era. Her whole “Warhol Expedition” is summarized in the album cover - putting the art before the music. The statue of Gaga herself is what you see first. I know in this day and age streaming has taken over but in 2013 people were still buying physical albums. 

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
androiduser
20 hours ago, ryansamonster said:

I listen to a song and view it as art anyway. You could make a song about tacos and it would still be considered art. You go to a museum and there’s an ugly chair on display, it’s still art despite whatever your personal taste may be. 
 

I don’t think the music was ever meant to be this huge artistic reference of great artists or paintings, etc even though Gaga did reference quite a few during the era. Her whole “Warhol Expedition” is summarized in the album cover - putting the art before the music. The statue of Gaga herself is what you see first. I know in this day and age streaming has taken over but in 2013 people were still buying physical albums. 

well, yes, but then you could say the same about all music and any album that comes out with a nice artistic cover. Such a broad definition would make the whole concept unnecessary.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
zebulonpyke
On 10/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, OG Gaga Stan said:

People have been posting this hot take for years and it never makes any sense.

Here's what I wrote the last time someone tried it:

This is so brilliant and en pointe that I can’t wait for you to write your book about Gaga’s art ;)

  • Love 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...