💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP Doesn't Have Much To Say

heygirl

Featured Posts

Maybe u have a point, but the album has some sort of escapism feeling. In the context of her life being a mess i see why she did this. It is music u blast loudly when u want to forget about everything wrong in your life, but still has that sadness hiding deep behind it all. It may not resonate with many people like BTW did, but somehow has a fraction of that impact.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Delusional

Joanne is better than ARTPOP in every way by 100x but some of you on this website lack the intelligence to think the same 

‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️BANNED TILL SEPTEMBER‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

8 minutes ago, DeIusional said:

Joanne is better than ARTPOP in every way by 100x but some of you on this website lack the intelligence to think the same 

Some of you get fooled by the "stripped" songs, thinking it's more emotional or better. They are on the same level lyric wise. 

44 minutes ago, heygirl said:

the concept of ARTPOP (the reverse Warholian experience, the artistic revolution through the potential of pop, putting the art before the pop, etc.) is often considered meaningful and genius

34 minutes ago, A Hybrid said:

First off, ARTPOP is neither about “an artistic revolution” nor “putting art before pop”. It’s a reverse Warholian experience, like you said, which means using classical art as a part of pop music.

honest question: its genesis thesis was a “reverse warholian expedition” or “reverse warholian experience”? idk, just curious, since it seems to be focal to the conversation, and the terms are synonymous, but not entirely identical …

“expedition” is predicated upon the journey itself (which, establishes some sense of meaning by definition of progress from one point to another … so even in a postmodern sense, the journey itself could be considered a “point” and ARTPOP (and/or Gaga as the artist (or soup can, within context of the metaphor) in front of the canvas)) would be the vehicle or vessel … an “experience” on the other hand, is more aligned with the “doesn’t have to have a point,” as it doesn’t have to go anywhere necessarily to exist in a moment of immersive observation, or art for the sake of art, just creative expression or reflection maybe …

but, idk … it could be neither or both and mean anything and/or nothing at all …

OP: ARTPOP feels like spontaneous combustion of a supernova at the locus of fame’s crucible … it feels like the simultaneous pleasure and toil of spectacular carnage … but with some sense of imminent release or liberation … and, to me at least, that was translated through lyrics and instrumentation or production or sonic composition that conveyed strong imagery beyond immediate word play … but, again, that’s just my opinion in this moment, and could make no ostensible sense at all

Othon

People have been posting this hot take for years and it never makes any sense.

Here's what I wrote the last time someone tried it:

On 11/9/2018 at 10:24 AM, OG Gaga Stan said:

ARTPOP was the natural conclusion of the exploration of fame she'd covered in her prior three albums. 

The Fame was an ironic take on celebrity that satirized its more vapid elements (without cheapening it, flat-out stating that pop music was high-brow and should be taken seriously, as art) while basking in its excess and subtly exposing the cruelty inherent in that lifestyle, all while espousing the notion that fame was a mindset and that anyone was worthy of it (populist queen!). The Fame Monster exposed what it was like to actually live the life of a celebrity, focusing more heavily on the painful and dehumanizing aspects of being made into an idea, a piece of meat offered up for mass consumption, alienated from other human beings. Born This Way was expressly about fame and celebrity as activism, about Gaga as an icon that her fans could look up to while she used the position she'd been given to speak out about feminism, LGBT rights, racism, immigration rights, etc.

ARTPOP takes all of that to new level of ironic detachment. It's a self-reflexive interrogation of her public persona and her place within pop culture. She took on the mantel of other iconic pop stars ("I'm every icon"), ramped her re-appropriation of pop iconography up to 11 in her performances and promotional campaign and started incorporating pieces from the art world that had the aura of respectability that isn't afforded to pop music ("pop music will never be low brow"). It was the natural conclusion of what she'd started with The Fame; she'd become a part of pop iconography, so she re-appropriated her own image, showing what it was like to be the human being behind the "Lady Gaga" image that the public had in their minds by talking about insanely personal moments form her life (the girl behind the aura). She talked about her rape explicitly for the first time in Swine (she'd vaguely touched on it in the Yoü and I video before), talked about running away from celebrity and her abusing drugs to cope (Mary Jane Holland, Dope), talked about her love life within the context of her being a celebrity (Sexxx Dreams being about sex with all of society's expectations being on her mind, about filthy fantasies while under public scrutiny), etc. etc. I could go on forever.

Lemondeduerl
12 minutes ago, DeIusional said:

uh oh guys the music police is here

:)

RenegAde
14 minutes ago, DeIusional said:

And when did your personal taste become the law ?

RenegAde
3 minutes ago, Gagged said:

Some of you get fooled by the "stripped" songs, thinking it's more emotional or better. They are on the same level lyric wise. 

I think joanne is weaker lyric wise tbh

Seeka

I've always said ARTPOP and Joanne are both deep, just in different ways. They mirror each other. 

ARTPOP is the looking Glass. It looks shallow but there's another world on the other side. 

Joanne is a book. Open it, and you can read everything. But you have to make an effort. 

Anveeroy
34 minutes ago, DeIusional said:

Yes, delusional is uttering delusional thoughts. :ohwell:

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

CautiousLurker

Maybe an album that STILL has fans continuously debating whether it's a work of genius or absolute garbage literally every other week has a bit more depth and intricacy that you give it credit for  - like, seriously, no other album gets discussed as much and as frequently - that's gotta make you think, maybe she did something right :ohwell:

Spoiler

That was my civilized response - my honest response is that if you don't like ARTPOP, you're an idiot and I pity you greatly :flower:

Smother Em Eh

It does have something to say, you just need to get to the other side. 

The whole ARTPOP concept was confusing because it could be intercepted in many ways and could mean anything. 

Although, the Era didn’t go as planned and the album could have been WAY better, she still did a great job of always having this album be talked about, even 6 years later. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Gagaism
2 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

Maybe an album that STILL has fans continuously debating whether it's a work of genius or absolute garbage literally every other week has a bit more depth and intricacy that you give it credit for  - like, seriously, no other album gets discussed as much and as frequently - that's gotta make you think, maybe she did something right :ohwell:

Hide contents

That was my civilized response - my honest response is that if you don't like ARTPOP, you're an idiot and I pity you greatly :flower:

U made such a point and I’m living for it

jennifer aniston applause GIF

Archived