💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP Doesn't Have Much To Say

heygirl

Featured Posts

*unpopular opinion alert*

This has most probably already been brought up some time but it's really dawned on me more and more that though the concept of ARTPOP (the reverse Warholian experience, the artistic revolution through the potential of pop, putting the art before the pop, etc.) is often considered meaningful and genius (which I agree with), the content of the album itself is a long shot away from what Gaga describes it to be. We get fascinating interviews with Gaga reflecting on what the concept of ARTPOP is about but where on the album, except possibly the title track, is that concept truly manifested? It seems to me as if she makes it seem intellectual when, in fact, the music doesn't have much to say at all. 

This quote from the review by AllMusic is my thinking process in a nutshell: "The concept is artful and logical, yet ARTPOP never insinuates or settles in the subconscious; it always assaults, determined to make an impression even when all it has to say is that it doesn't have much to say."

And yes, I think the music is fun and a lot of it great. But that's besides the point.

Gtg:gaycat: 

be kind guys

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
edengowon

With the visuals she planned, it would've been fully realised and we would see the full artistic vision. Just look at the G.U.Y and Applause videos, those are artistic genius

the artist formerly known as melancholia

derpmonster

Disagree. 

The music has a lot to say, you have to read between the lines. Some parts are intentionally vague to make it relatable. 

And every song is filled with pain in a way none of her previous records were. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

Anveeroy

I became a fan during ARTPOP era. I slept on this ALBUM. I LOVE THIS ALBUM. 

YOU SHOULD LOVE THIS ALBUM.

WE SHOULD LOVE THIS ALBUM.

My ranting is over. Thanks for coming to my Anve.talk! :pawsup:

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

gagaxsebert
8 minutes ago, heygirl said:

Gtg:gaycat: 

Run before they draggggg you sis :ladyhaha:

Used to be HighRoad

The album does have something to say, it's mostly about Gaga's painful relationship with sex through her life. But I agree with you that the concept she invented about art and stuff has absolutely nothing to the with the album itself. That's why it was panned by critics.

Esteban

Totally agree, that's my thought since the begining. And you're right ARTPOP (the song) is the only track which fits the concept, maybe with Venus and Aura but that's all.. 

EDIT: Ok my bad, I forgot one of her besr songs aka "Do what you want"

A Hybrid

First off, ARTPOP is neither about “an artistic revolution” nor “putting art before pop”. It’s a reverse Warholian experience, like you said, which means using classical art as a part of pop music. This doesn’t apply to more than half of the album, but still.

Not only does ARTPOP not have “much” to say, it doesn’t have ANYTHING to say. That’s the thing about postmodernism, also in literature: it doesn’t deal with social commentary, it uses art purely as art. Art doesn’t have to have a point to be good.

I’m not saying ARTPOP is good or bad here, just saying that you’re judging ARTPOP from the only angle where it’s not supposed to be judged. The hypothetical concept of integrating symbols of classical art into pop is not supposed have a social or political purpose.

No family’s safe when I sashay

HermioneT
6 minutes ago, A Hybrid said:

First off, ARTPOP is neither about “an artistic revolution” nor “putting art before pop”. It’s a reverse Warholian experience, like you said, which means using classical art as a part of pop music. This doesn’t apply to more than half of the album, but still.

Not only does ARTPOP not have “much” to say, it doesn’t have ANYTHING to say. That’s the thing about postmodernism, also in literature: it doesn’t deal with social commentary, it uses art purely as art. Art doesn’t have to have a point to be good.

I’m not saying ARTPOP is good or bad here, just saying that you’re judging ARTPOP from the only angle where it’s not supposed to be judged. The hypothetical concept of integrating symbols of classical art into pop is not supposed have a social or political purpose.

Love this one! Could have not said/written it this way, but I think in this way about many things Gaga has done/does. 

She / hers

RenegAde

People need to understand how powerful songs like do what you want is. 

i dont know why she had to ruin it by oversexualizing a perhaps political song .

the meaning comes out when you really read between the lines

Anveeroy
3 minutes ago, RenegAde2888 said:

People need to understand how powerful the lyrics of  songs like do what you want is. 

i dont know why she had to ruin it by oversexualizing a perhaps political song .

the meaning comes out when you really read between the lines

Also the names of the songs. 

G.U.Y - Girl Under You

MANiCURE 

Gaga really tried to portray her pain with abstract art; but unfortunately it got lost in translation. 

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

blackpink

It kinda does...she went through a lot of pain, “commercial failure”, her team + manager leaving her & the label not trusting in her vision during that era.

Didn’t she predict her downfall with that Lady Gaga is over video? She knew it was going to be a mess and she didn’t disappoint lmao. 

She spoke so elaborately about this album with artistic terms and did many ambitious collaborations with innovative artists like Jeff Koons and the Volantis project...only to use recycled beats for some parts of the album. It shows that she rushed a few elements of the album due to the behind the scenes drama but stuck to the artistic message. Say what you want but I think in THAT way, her life and issues around this time imitated her art.

Her celebrity status and commercial power was “fading” and those issues affected how we all perceived the album. The pop culture was brought into the art. 

And thats why at the beginning (before things got messy), there were a mix of exciting, ACTUALLY groundbreaking moments with GOOD well thought concepts like the Applause video and what not and the live performances, contrasting to the really dark moments like that interview a month or so after the era began when she literally couldn’t think of anymore bullshit to say so she sat in silence so awkwardly.  

ARTPOP could mean everything and nothing at the same time. And that’s okay. 

Archived