💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Retrospective on Confessions On A Dancefloor

corvus albus

Featured Posts

corvus albus

I have thought about this album far to long so this will be a little self-indulgent. (I had to preface this)

Confessions is Madonnas 10th. It came after the commercial bomb that was the American Life album which seemed to have ruined Madonnas reputation irreparably. But Madonna didn't want to be known as a fad (yet) so she worked hard and, with Confessions, she released one of her best albums. I have to agree and lately I've gained even more of appreciation for the album. That is also the reason why I'm doing this thread.

Confessions is more than a techno-hook-machine than some have claimed. In my view this album is deeply spiteful and succeeds in being that. It is all the themes of American Life condensed into better songs, better lyrics and better music. Hung Up is the first song, the biggest hit and definitely the emptiest song on the record but probably still the best. Get Together is deeply forgettable while Sorry can be read several ways. Sorry is the first song where the deeper theme of the album comes through. Sorry, on the surface, is a song directed at an ex-partner and while that is the most obvious, it is not my reading. I think it's a song about Madonna talking to the metaphorical masses that hated American Life, me included and basically telling them to stick it. Future Lovers is a pretty standard love song, catchy but ultimately nothing special. I Love New York is terrible and I won't say anymore because I know how people react to me being negative towards Madonna. Let It Will Be is much more on the nose as Sorry with it's main theme. Madonna talks to herself and asks the question, while also adressing the listener, that now that she's seen fame if it makes her happy. This has been a common theme for several albums and she will answer it in the next album Hard Candy which I will come to later this review. Forbidden Love which is next is just like Future Lovers there to ease the tension between the harder songs. Jump is about the excitement of experiencing new things, locations and cities and while there is not a lot in the text to connect it to the greater theme it can still be read that she's talking about fame. How High however ask the same questions as Let It Will Be but it details Madonnas way to fame and her unhappines much more. Isaac is Madonnas connection to Kaballah which she discovered for herself because fame left her unfulfilled so she wanted to fill her life with something that she enjoys. Push is also just a giant metaphor for the general public in which Madonna thanks and damns them at the same time and Like it Or Not is Madonna coming to terms with her position and telling everyone that she will make whatever she want's to make. Looking forward to Hard Candy we can definitely say that she completely abandoned the idea of fame not being enough for her. She either seemed to have reached her cynical side where she doesn't care about her own needs anymore or she found a way for fame to be pleasing for her while not actively destroying her anymore. 

Thanks for reading.

I was literally listening to it & started to make a thread last night on "Favorite Albums by Lyrics" and this was going to be what I started the thread with ahaha the album is phenomenal. Aged so well, and the lyrics are really interesting to me. Let It Will Be, Push, Isaac, everything is so good. 

Madame Goo Goo
3 minutes ago, neptugne said:

I was literally listening to it & started to make a thread last night on "Favorite Albums by Lyrics" and this was going to be what I started the thread with ahaha the album is phenomenal. Aged so well, and the lyrics are really interesting to me. Let It Will Be, Push, Isaac, everything is so good. 

Especially "Other cities make me feel a dork"

Lady Gaga doesn't owe us anything

Gagaism

All I know is this album is one of the best of all time talking about pop culture, especially in terms of production and cohesion.

Also she went her top of confidence and beauty on that era.

hung up dance GIF

The Bling
7 minutes ago, Madame Goo Goo said:

Especially "Other cities make me feel a dork"

You're pretty shallow then, aren't you :lolly:

Sigmund Freud, analyze this

Andreu

no new info for someone who has privileged info from ms Albus like me :ally:

stream the best song on the album Isaac

AJRocketMan

Madonna actually called Sorry one of the most retarded songs she has written (along with “Cherish” and “Into the Groove”), so suffice to say that song isn’t as deep as your interpretation of it is. And I think Get Together is far superior to Sorry.

dlioncourt91

It's a good album (overrated by a lot of people) but the last huge record she had. Videos are lazy after Sorry, Get Together deserved better and the tour was amazing. Imagery, packaging, promotion was on point!

Lottie Winters

I’m sorry sis but I had to stop reading at Get Together is deeply forgettable. I won’t have that.

River

I actually never stopped to read the lyrics, I find them just as another instruments in the album and not something to really care about, this is why I see it as one of the best dance albums to ever made, because it does what it should do, make you dance and not go deep into things.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Sneaky Oliver

Confessions has all the AL essence but with a beautiful shiny colorful package which made it easier for people to enjoy and pay attention. She was THAT bitch for doing this, it's like saying to her audience "look how stupid you are" :fan:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Glamourpuss

This album is amazing. I go through phases where I don't listen to it for a long time and then when I do it slays me just as much as the first time I ever heard it. I Iove all the different sounds on it. Forbidden Love is my favourite. :wub:

Archived