other

Ellen defends hanging out with George W. Bush despite his anti-gay legacy

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andy McQueen

So Ellen is doing the Dave Rubin routine now? Also this isn't about having a difference of opinion over sports teams or pizza toppings... Exhausting to explain that point repeatedly. What happens when someone worse than Trump comes in, does she sit and laugh with him too?
If you use your very large platforms to make excuses for, minimize and rehabilitate such peoples image, then I think you've earned some criticism.

doppelganger
18 hours ago, derpmonster said:

See, normally I would've criticized her but y'all are forgetting our very own Gaga is sort of friends with them too. :(

The truth is it's likely out of ignorance because they're far removed from those affected most. But Trump is something else totally. That's why I draw the line at Trump. Trump is everything they were and more. 

And if y'all wanna criticize Bush for foreign policy, remember (and I say this as a leftist), Obama significantly expanded the drone program, killed so many more civilians in drone strikes including 200 regular people at a wedding. It's despicable. The truth is all presidents have been awful when it comes to foreign policy. Domestic wise though, yes, Trump is clearly much worse and Obama was good. 

Truth. Most American presidents are killers. Can we just stop with selective judgement?

NCgaga
3 hours ago, Kylo Ren said:

I see through it. Their all friends behind closed doors. Her statement or whatever sounded so fake and adding in jokes (at her audience who laugh at anything) to make it seem genuine was embarassing.

You’re so dramatic. Ellen has done so much for the LGBTQ community, as well as the city of Los Angeles, and impoverished people across the country. She has donated money and time to organizations that the Bush family have never dreamed of, and you want to group her in the same category because she is friendly with him? There is a huge difference between Ellen and the bushes and where their money has gone. You all need to do some research before you get in here and cancel someone because you group all rich people together 

RenegAde

Stop with the fake internet outrage please ,this means nothing compared to the real issues the world is facing...  gush let people live

Andy McQueen

I don't know what to think tbh. I'm a leftist and I love Ellen, and I appreciate her message of kindness (similar to Gaga's), still I think it is totally wrong and the issue is that wealthy powerful people don't even realize the damage that other wealthy and powerful people like Bush caused.

Andy McQueen

I think the reason why Ellen’s best friends with a man who’s killed millions of Iraqis and passed laws preventing her from having the right to get married is the same reason why Trump and Hillary were best buds before 2016. The rich stick together. Always have, always will.

Guillaume Hamon
21 hours ago, SKANK said:

rs_600x600-171022080505-600-lady-gaga-ji

Rich people, war criminals, and deviants, oh my.

Remember when Gaga appeared on Ellen's show in a meat dress, a meat hat, meat shoes, carrying a meat clutch? In spite of Ellen being famously vegan and an animal rights activist, Ellen politely asked Gaga to talk about the meaning behind her dress. Ellen practices what she preaches. I respect that.

Gaga joined forces with all the former presidents available, not Bush specially, to raise money for the 2017 hurricanes victims. That's super different from spending time with a war criminal cause he's your "friend".

Also being open with a fellow american who eat meat ( like most americans ) is not the same as being open with a war criminal ( a small group of people historically).

SKANK
1 hour ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

Gaga joined forces with all the former presidents available, not Bush specially, to raise money for the 2017 hurricanes victims. That's super different from spending time with a war criminal cause he's your "friend".

Also being open with a fellow american who eat meat ( like most americans ) is not the same as being open with a war criminal ( a small group of people historically).

160925-mobama-w-hug-hg-1530_ccdd18052098

Former first lady Michelle Obama said that her oft-admired friendship with former President George W. Bush serves as a reminder of how relationships should be during a time when America only sees all the "nasty parts" of political discourse.

In an interview released Wednesday on NBC, Obama told Bush's daughter, Jenna Bush Hager, who is also a correspondent on "Today," that her relationship with Bush "reminds us that we can get there with the right leadership and with the right tone setting and with each of us giving one another the benefit of the doubt."

I'd love if we as a country could get back to the place where we didn't demonize people who disagreed with us," she added.

Bringing up a famous photo of the former president and Obama sharing a hug in 2016, Bush Hager asked Obama about her friendship with Bush.

"It's so interesting how people are so interested in y'all's friendship. I mean that hug was, like, the hug that went around the world," Bush Hager said. "Why do you think people are so hungry for that, though?" she asked Obama.

"Because I think the political discourse, the way it's shown in the media, is -- it's all the nasty parts of it. You know?" Obama replied. "Because I guess we've become a culture where the nasty sells. So people are just going to keep feeding that."

Although Obama and Bush don't always agree on things, Obama said, she still considered the former president a "beautiful, funny, kind, sweet man."

*Cue images of Abu Ghraib.

It's interesting that Ellen is reiterating what Michelle Obama said, but with even less affection for Bush, yet Rosanne Gay and her ilk on social media have decided that Ellen, not Michelle, should be criticized for daring to have a amicable relationship with Bush. Makes you wonder what the motivation for the outrage is...

As for Gaga, yes that was a charity event. However, we all know she has a history of aligning herself with men who are ethically dubious, and it sure wasn't an act of charity when she was paid to perform for a dictator and human rights abuser in Azerbaijan. So, perhaps people on fan forums made of glass shouldn't cast stones at "evil rich people."

Spoiler

1401x788-Screen-Shot-2015-06-17-at-8.46.

Lady Gaga’s surprise appearance in Baku, Azerbaijan, where she performed at the opening ceremony of the inaugural European Games, drew immediate condemnation from the international human rights community — as well it should. 

Her decision to perform was seen as an endorsement of the authoritarian regime of Ilham Heydar Aliyev and his brutal human rights crackdown against Azerbaijani citizens. It seemed an odd choice for the celebrity, who often speaks out in defense of the very rights under attack in Azerbaijan.

Her appearance was a stark contrast to Bono’s impassioned appeal for the release of Azerbaijani political prisoners made the same night at a concert with his band, U2, in Montreal. His statement was made at the request of Sport for Rights campaign.

Human rights campaigners viewed Gaga’s appearance in Baku as a betrayal of Azerbaijani activists who are being held unjustly behind bars while the European games are being played nearby.

Among them is Rasul Jafarov, whose launching of the Sport for Rights campaign ultimately led to his arrest. Eight journalists, five human rights defenders and dozens of other political prisoners remain in jail as the European Games continue. Meanwhile, Gaga profits along with the European Olympic committees and the Azerbaijani regime.

Entertaining for dictators has not worked well for other celebrities. Jennifer Lopez apologized after coming under fire for her performance for Turkmenistan President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow. Other celebrities who have expressed regrets after entertaining dictators include Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Usher, Nelly Furtado and Hillary Swank. Some reportedly donated their fees to charities.

The European Games in Baku, which are taking place between June 12 and 28, includes 20 sports. Athletes in some of the contests can qualify for next summer’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The Sport for Rights campaign is calling on Gaga to condemn the human rights crackdown and demand the release of Azerbaijan’s jailed journalists and human rights defenders. The campaign also asked her to donate her earnings — reportedly $2 million — to the families of Azerbaijan’s political prisoners. Sport for Rights is a coalition of civil liberties and human rights NGOs in eight European countries.

Sport for Rights is also calling for the Azerbaijani authorities to stop their ongoing repression of civil society by ceasing their harassment and intimidation of civil society activists and dropping the criminal proceedings against them.

Former Azerbaijani political prisoner Emin Milli said Lady Gaga should give the money back “to the people, to the families of political prisoners, who have been locked up for these games for the PR purposes of the ruling family. She has supported them, at our expense, and needs to make that right.”

Wittingly or not, Gaga has now become part of the propaganda machine attempting to use the games to whitewash Azerbaijan’s ever-worsening image. If she truly cares about the rights she so often defends — and, indeed, her own reputation — Lady Gaga must act now to right this very public wrong and show that her silence on human rights cannot be bought. 

https://www.pri.org/stories/2015-06-22/lady-gaga-making-azerbaijan-s-human-rights-abusers-look-good-and-s-bad

President Biden
On 10/8/2019 at 3:53 PM, Adakam said:

I disagree with her explanation, "we dont share the same beliefs", no girl, one thing is to like a different kind of pizza and another thing is believing that you should have less human rights. Its like a slave having a drink with their owner, it just doesnt make sense.

That couldn’t be a more ridiculous and offensive analogy

I got drunk

Florian
12 hours ago, ThatBinch said:

'Get along with' is different to 'being friends with'. And this isn't just about them having different views. People call him a war criminal. His administration was responsible for so many completely unnecessary deaths, starting a war that still has consequences to this day. There's a big difference between Gaga standing next to him in a photo and Ellen being friends with him. It's unforgivable.

She should be ashamed. I've never liked her. 

Meanwhile Gaga is friend with the Clintons who have done very questionable and suspicious things  when bombing the Balkans resulting in hundreds of civilian deaths and health and  sanitary issues.

If you're going to hate on someone, at least be consistent.

----

OT: It's baffling me how this is making the news when there are so many issues happening in the world. Like... it's a non-event. Is it still shocking people in 2019 that Hollywood has no ethics or morals?

Ellen’s a sellout we’ve known that for years. She’s New Money and wants to be friends with every rich person in the world. 

Her views of the world are very questionable. You would never see Madonna or Gaga or Cher calling Bush a friend (in fact didn’t Madonna compare throw a grenade at him lol)...

Elllens problematic, but that doesn’t mean every rich white celeb is!

34 minutes ago, Rainbow1 said:

More ppl to cancel 

seeing Jaime Foxx & Lenny kravitz:

tenor.gif

People who cancel people- need to be cancelled. Such a problematic culture. 

Archived