💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Ellen defends hanging out with George W. Bush despite his anti-gay legacy

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

ellen-degeneres-bush.jpg?w=790&h=530&fit

Ellen Degeneres has offered an explanation for why she was hanging out with George W. Bush, who as president opposed marriage equality, legal protections for LGBTQ workers, and appointed right-wing judges whose judicial philosophy is generally antithetical to legal equality.

”During the game they showed a shot of George and me laughing together and so people were upset. They thought, ‘Why is a gay Hollywood liberal sitting next to a conservative Republican president?’ But a lot of people were mad.”

”Here’s the thing. I’m friends with George Bush. In fact, I’m friends with a lot of people who don’t share the same beliefs that I have. We’re all different and I think that we’ve forgotten that that’s okay that we’re all different.… Just because I don’t agree with someone on everything doesn’t mean that I’m not going to be friends with them. When I say, ‘Be kind to one another,’ I don’t mean only the people who think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn’t matter.”

In her monologue, DeGeneres compared Bush’ political views to people wearing animal fur. Later, she shared an approving tweet that read, “Ellen and George Bush together makes me have faith in America again,” to which she and her audience gave herself some applause.

Journalist Benjamin Norton replied, “‘I’m friends with George Bush,’ boasts Ellen, saying it’s good to have friends with different views But this isn’t a matter of views; it’s a matter of *crimes*. Bush is a war criminal with the blood of 1 million Iraqis on his hands. He should be in prison.”

But, as we wrote earlier, Bush’s legacy is still wreaking havoc on America, including on LGBTQ equality. Today, the Supreme Court will hear several cases to decide if there are legal protections at the federal level for LGBTQ workers, and Bush’s two appointees to the high court – Samuel Alito and John Roberts – could be the deciding votes against equality.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/10/ellen-defends-friendship-george-w-bush-kind-everyone/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeleteMyAccount

My issue is that she hates Trump for the same reasons that make people such as Bush and Kevin Hart so problematic. You have to be consistent. And this really only takes the "it happened in the past, it doesn't matter anymore" argument to the front. Like is this the biggest issue ever? No... But again at the same time I feel like many people give Bush the "in the past/we're all different" excuse when he arguably did more damage to the US(guns, war, LGBTQ, etc) than Trump could ever. And yet we all target Trump now just because he's the new it-target... It makes me wonder how people will treat Trump 10 years from now. Will we all be laughing together at football games? That's the optics of this.

Like I'm not mad and this won't ruin my day... But I see why it's so tongue in cheek.

ChromeAngel

All these wealthy people are so fake. It’s never really about red vs blue, it’s always been about the rich vs the poor. I don’t get why people don’t see that.

They’re all buddies behind closed doors 

G U C C I
10 minutes ago, Rainbow1 said:

”Here’s the thing. I’m friends with George Bush. In fact, I’m friends with a lot of people who don’t share the same beliefs that I have. We’re all different and I think that we’ve forgotten that that’s okay that we’re all different.… Just because I don’t agree with someone on everything doesn’t mean that I’m not going to be friends with them. When I say, ‘Be kind to one another,’ I don’t mean only the people who think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn’t matter.”

2 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

My issue is that she hates Trump for the same reasons that make people such as Bush and Kevin Hart so problematic. You have to be consistent.

It makes me wonder how people will treat Trump 10 years from now. Will we all be laughing together at football games? 

She makes an excellent point in that people should be nice to everyone periodt! However you have to be consistent. If you can be amicable with Bush you don't need to **** all over Trump right now just because he's the one currently in office. They have the same fundamental beliefs and yet I bet we will never see her sit with him. Sure George W Bush seems like a fun, nice guy and Trump is an asshole but that doesn't justify going against being nice to him. 

If you preach ultimate tolerance you should practice ultimate tolerance or just call it like is. Class solidarity.

Ryusei

it's ok to get along with people who have different beliefs or views than you, heck it's normal but what the journalist wrote in his tweet is very true.... idk why anyone would wanna be friends with this guy and openly show it.. questionable.

Musery

The worst part of it all is how light she made everything look like? I mean, I sorta agree with her kindness speech but it doesn't sit really well for me that while people are complaining with very valid arguments she's like "I went to a place with fancy people hahahahahha like presidents hahahahhaha presidents who made a lot of people of my own suffer!! hahahahah guess you gotta be kind to people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯", I mean, she's a comedian but there's a time and place for everything :neyde:

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Othon

At the end of the day, wealthy people are in it together.

It doesn't matter if one is a war criminal that lied us into a war that killed millions of brown people in the Middle East, destabilized an entire region, created the conditions that led to the creation of various terrorist cells, bungled a hurricane relief effort in a manner the likes of which we've never seen that resulted in the deaths of countless people in New Orleans, and actively, violently opposed queer rights for his entire life. They're still friends in their million-dollar VIP boxes. 

Either we acknowledge this and accept the fact that we've got to stand in solidarity against this class of wealthy people or we let them get away with destroying the planet/marginalized people forever. We don't have a choice.

I disagree with her explanation, "we dont share the same beliefs", no girl, one thing is to like a different kind of pizza and another thing is believing that you should have less human rights. Its like a slave having a drink with their owner, it just doesnt make sense.

Meruk Holland

I'm ultimately conflicted when it comes to Bush's presidency. He just didn't seem like he had any agency. Like, he was just a puppet for all the people in his administration. Not saying he wasn't ignorant or completely complacent, he was. 

11 minutes ago, LVbuttondown said:

She makes an excellent point in that people should be nice to everyone periodt! However you have to be consistent. If you can be amicable with Bush you don't need to **** all over Trump right now just because he's the one currently in office. They have the same fundamental beliefs and yet I bet we will never see her sit with him. Sure George W Bush seems like a fun, nice guy and Trump is an asshole but that doesn't justify going against being nice to him. 

If you preach ultimate tolerance you should practice ultimate tolerance or just call it like is. Class solidarity.

There is the idea that it's because Trump is currently in office that we need to be critical of him. After all, when it comes to politics, we (generally) aren't bashing the person in office personally, we're bashing the inflated ego and their policies and ethics.

Also, people in Hollywood know Trump personally. That's why so many of them have such vocal opinions on him as a person as well as a president. The ideal is that you be kind and compassionate toward everyone, but some people really like to test the patience required to practice such ideals. Especially when they are actively harming you, as opposed to harming you in the past.

So if u follow that logic, can you be friends with a radical muslim who believes in terrorism and sharia law, because he's a fun person to hang out with? I mean it's good to have friends with different beliefs right? There's a limit to the beliefs the person has though, it's one thing to not believe in some health care policies, it's another to believe gay people should have no rights, or maybe not for Miss Ellen

jacs vs looser

There is a huge difference between tolerating others with different viewpoints in regards of topics such as: is premarital sex ok? or should we legalize drugs? and actually being friends with someone who thinks you deserve less human rights than others.

I know she is a very beloved personality, but I find Ellen to be very questionable in more than a few matters, and this just further proves it.

Pop Music

Surrounding yourself with people of the same mind is gonna do nothing to improve this world 

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

Its not just her, its most of Democrats. He is way worse than Trump yet Democrats love him now! They miss how the old days were before Trump even if its a war criminal, islamophobic, racist, and extremely anti Gay. This makes me believe Democrats dont hate Trump for the reasons they claim they do, and they also dont care about Muslims the way they claim they do.

Here is another clip of Ellen dancing with Bush and showing how a good painter he is:

Even Rosie who knows the truth about Bush and was one of his biggest critics, now love Bush:

52 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

My issue is that she hates Trump for the same reasons that make people such as Bush and Kevin Hart so problematic. You have to be consistent. And this really only takes the "it happened in the past, it doesn't matter anymore" argument to the front. Like is this the biggest issue ever? No... But again at the same time I feel like many people give Bush the "in the past/we're all different" excuse when he arguably did more damage to the US(guns, war, LGBTQ, etc) than Trump could ever. And yet we all target Trump now just because he's the new it-target... It makes me wonder how people will treat Trump 10 years from now. Will we all be laughing together at football games? That's the optics of this.

Like I'm not mad and this won't ruin my day... But I see why it's so tongue in cheek.

being friend with bush despite sharing the same ideas as trump doesn't mean she has to be friend with all the people she's not sharing their point of view

Archived