question

Gaga tributing Madonna?

Edonis

Featured Posts

derpmonster
9 minutes ago, ARTPOPsexual said:

4. Express Yourself

:toofunny:

Sis this is the one that's NEVER happening.  She loves Born This Way too much to bring attention to that comparison again. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AJRocketMan

Most Madonna songs wouldn’t fit Gaga’s voice. Madonna’s voice is bright, soft, and tender. It’s very seductive and youthful at the same time. Gaga’s voice is rough and hard; she can’t evoke innocence in the way that Madonna can and her voice gets too dry and airy when she tries to sing soft (Do What U Want, Joanne, I’ll Never Love Again), so there isn’t much she can work with. The ones that can suit her voice well are these:

1) Like A Prayer

2) Express Yourself

3) Hanky Panky

4) Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)

5) Rescue Me

Lana’s voice suits Madonna’s music better tbh 😕

DonatellaPop

She already did, it's called 'Born This Way' :stalkga:

JUST KIDDING

https://blacklivesmatter.com/

DonatellaPop
1 hour ago, Andreu said:

inb4 she already did

You beat me to it :ladyhaha:

https://blacklivesmatter.com/

Edonis
7 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

I can both see this totally happening and not happening at all :poot:

Depending what type of era Gaga would currently have, she'd pick the Madonna songs based on that. But I can see Gaga slaying Like a Prayer or Hung Up.

Honestly...I say it won't likely happen but...idk :poot:

I have a weird feeling about things sometimes and this is definitely one of those things :poot:

I would love to see it.  I think if there was actually any bad blood between them, they are over it.  The media and fans have a way of inventing or exaggerating things way out of of proportion.  And artists sometimes say controversial things just to gain attention and get people talking.  I would like to see Gaga cover these songs which I loved when they were first released, and still do:  Borderline, Material Girl, Like A Virgin, Live To Tell, La Isla Bonita, Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Cherish, Vogue, and Music.  I also hope Madonna sings some of them when I see her in December.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Edonis
5 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

Most Madonna songs wouldn’t fit Gaga’s voice. Madonna’s voice is bright, soft, and tender. It’s very seductive and youthful at the same time. Gaga’s voice is rough and hard; she can’t evoke innocence in the way that Madonna can and her voice gets too dry and airy when she tries to sing soft (Do What U Want, Joanne, I’ll Never Love Again), so there isn’t much she can work with. The ones that can suit her voice well are these:

1) Like A Prayer

2) Express Yourself

3) Hanky Panky

4) Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)

5) Rescue Me

Lana’s voice suits Madonna music better tbh 😕

Luckily I would assume a tribute from Gaga wouldn't be about sounding exactly like the original song, but like a new interpretation of tracks. I think she could pull off some hits in her own special way, but I get what you mean about their difference in vocals. 

sillynate
18 minutes ago, Edonis said:

This is an entire concert/tour set list:bradley:

LADY GAGA: THE MADONNA TRIBUTE

AJRocketMan
45 minutes ago, Edonis said:

Luckily I would assume a tribute from Gaga wouldn't be about sounding exactly like the original song, but like a new interpretation of tracks. I think she could pull off some hits in her own special way, but I get what you mean about their difference in vocals. 

But Gaga always makes her covers sound exactly like the original versions. She did it for Elton John, so why wouldn’t she do it for Madonna too? That’s what I want in cover songs—to sound like the original versions. If I want a Madonna song to sound like something only Lady Gaga could do, I would listen to Lady Gaga’s original music instead. :triggered:

In my opinion, when you perform a cover song, you’re supposed to take on the act of the original artist and try on a style that you normally would not do in your own songs. If a folk artist were to cover a dance song, then they need to step out of their comfort zone and perform it in its original dance composition instead of trying to change it to suit their own tastes.

In other words, they need to try on a different artistic outfit. That’s what I mean when I say Gaga should only cover a few songs from Madonna—I want Gaga to “wear Madonna’s outfit” instead of tailoring it into her own “outfit”.

Thomas P

Absolutely not. Gaga needs to completely separate herself from madonna because something like this just invites a bunch more comparisons

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

1 hour ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

I can both see this totally happening and not happening at all :poot:

Depending what type of era Gaga would currently have, she'd pick the Madonna songs based on that. But I can see Gaga slaying Like a Prayer or Hung Up.

hung up (ft. Beyoncé) aka telephone pt. 2

Edonis
34 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

But Gaga always makes her covers sound exactly like the original versions. She did it for Elton John, so why wouldn’t she do it for Madonna too? That’s what I want in cover songs—to sound like the original versions. If I want a Madonna song to sound like something only Lady Gaga could do, I would listen to Lady Gaga’s original music instead. :triggered:

In my opinion, when you perform a cover song, you’re supposed to take on the act of the original artist and try on a style that you normally would not do in your own songs. If a folk artist were to cover a dance song, then they need to step out of their comfort zone and perform it in its original dance composition instead of trying to change it to suit their own tastes.

In other words, they need to try on a different artistic outfit. That’s what I mean when I say Gaga should only cover a few songs from Madonna—I want Gaga to “wear Madonna’s outfit” instead of tailoring it into her own “outfit”.

I fundamentally disagree. I think my biggest criticism of any tribute (including Gaga's Bowie tribute) is when the performer tries too hard to be like replicate the original. Same singing style or vocal runs, same exact costumes, same set pieces, or whatever.

Instead, tributes are at their best when they evoke very visible or iconic elements of the original artist or song and add that to their own twist and spin on things. I don't think any one tribute has to be exactly the same as the original artist; if anything, that would just lead me to wanting to listen to the original song  instead. (And to add to your original post, I don't see Lana singing any of her songs unless it's something from Bedtime Stories or ray of Light, two albums that I wouldn't really attribute to a Madonna tribute anyways.)

I think sometimes replication can work, but only with certain elements. Otherwise it can border on parody.

Archived