Pitchfork snubs Lady Gaga on "200 Best Songs of the 2010's" list

petty

Featured Posts

holy scheisse
41 minutes ago, Flopplause said:

"A-yo, A-yo
I heard you ridin' with the same tall, tall tale
Tall tell tellin' em you made some
Sayin' you grindin' but you ain't goin' no where (no where)
Why you procrastinating girl?
You got a lot, but you just waste all yours and
They'll forget your name soon (name soon)
And won't nobody be to blame but yourself, yeah"

she's a visionary:huntyga:

Her flow is sick on that song IDC bout your opinion lol

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pop Music

No taylor, katy or gaga? Tf what kinda drugs :flop:

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

ok I went through the whole list and omg it's wild, I cackled too many times

not Chromatica

imagine including wrecking ball but leaving gaga's entire discography out... yikes

ItsTommyBitch
11 hours ago, LilyLark said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree lol. I feel like you are saying they (Pitchfork) are being subjective, but are also stating that from an objective viewpoint  you don't think Gag's belongs?  I completely get Cranes in the Sky, etc....but from an objective viewpoint I still can't understand ranking a single track from  Pratt and Lil Peep over Tightrope, TEOG, This is America, etc. And I do agree Gaga is still a bit polarizing (everyone gives her credit for having an amazing voice, but her music is still a bit polarizing even if her scores on metacritic are in the green)..it's just there are other polarizing artists on the list and less polarizing ones left off....

Anyway, it is what it is :)

Not at all.

It's all subjective again is my point. 

Pitchfork has their combined reasons for not thinking Gaga's work this decade belongs on this list (spoiler, they put TFM in their 200 albums list even though its from 2009 because they felt it needed to be on a list btw :rip: ) and I just happen to agree with that decision, which I have recognized repeatedly as being subjective...

Its you who thinks some of your own opinions have an air of objectiveness... Objectivity in music criticism isn't a thing ultimately, there's not a perfect way to make music, only effective and ineffective and thats all in the eyes and ears of the beholder. It's entirely possible they just literally think those are better songs. There's nothing about an artists prestige, previous acclaim, stardom, relevance/name recognition that predisposes them to be unable to be compared side to side with another. Gaga being an icon in your mind doesn't mean they cant think Lil Peep has better music than her :shrug: Though again, my prediction was that they saved them to include on later lists because its hard to fit people into a list of only 200 anything from an entire freaking decade :laughga: 

I don't think Gaga's music is polarizing because its incredibly challenging  persay to the average listener, to be clear.  It's not. Gaga just imo happened to come out during the beginning of poptimism, nowadays we are seeing a lot more music critics gush over pop music and not inherently assign it as being a lower art form than rock and indie music. I think a lot of her dislike critically comes from misguided places not related to the music, but some of it is also warranted because the way she has talked about her music in the past (TFM, BTW, ARTPOP eras) has been nothing short of textbook pretentious - affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc. than is actually possessed. I love all of her music (well minus Joanne) but I cant say any of it other than Born This Way ever sonically has matched the height of her message, intentions, aesthetic, etc. But thats just my opinion.

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

myluis617
23 hours ago, Reginald said:

Yes! This list is really good. Although yes, missing Gaga. I would have chosen The Edge Of Glory, or Shallow. She needs more modern hits though, wow. 

Im done :ladyhaha: You think solange really deserves to be on this list. I guess it's your preference though.

JusKeepBreathin

I'm good. The top three are everything. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

4 hours ago, Haus Swiftie said:

No taylor, katy or gaga? Tf what kinda drugs :flop:

Taylor and Katy are on the list :awkney:

LilyLark
5 hours ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Not at all.

It's all subjective again is my point. 

Pitchfork has their combined reasons for not thinking Gaga's work this decade belongs on this list (spoiler, they put TFM in their 200 albums list even though its from 2009 because they felt it needed to be on a list btw :rip: ) and I just happen to agree with that decision, which I have recognized repeatedly as being subjective...

Its you who thinks some of your own opinions have an air of objectiveness... Objectivity in music criticism isn't a thing ultimately, there's not a perfect way to make music, only effective and ineffective and thats all in the eyes and ears of the beholder. It's entirely possible they just literally think those are better songs. There's nothing about an artists prestige, previous acclaim, stardom, relevance/name recognition that predisposes them to be unable to be compared side to side with another. Gaga being an icon in your mind doesn't mean they cant think Lil Peep has better music than her :shrug: Though again, my prediction was that they saved them to include on later lists because its hard to fit people into a list of only 200 anything from an entire freaking decade :laughga: 

I don't think Gaga's music is polarizing because its incredibly challenging  persay to the average listener, to be clear.  It's not. Gaga just imo happened to come out during the beginning of poptimism, nowadays we are seeing a lot more music critics gush over pop music and not inherently assign it as being a lower art form than rock and indie music. I think a lot of her dislike critically comes from misguided places not related to the music, but some of it is also warranted because the way she has talked about her music in the past (TFM, BTW, ARTPOP eras) has been nothing short of textbook pretentious - affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc. than is actually possessed. I love all of her music (well minus Joanne) but I cant say any of it other than Born This Way ever sonically has matched the height of her message, intentions, aesthetic, etc. But thats just my opinion.

Eh, but Gaga's not even disliked critically. She's not a critical darling, but she's respected (at the very least, for her voice) by most critics at this point. She's a bit polarizing, but all of her albums are in the green on Metacritic. H*ll, two of her albums are ranked higher than Adele's highest scores...

I get what you are saying about subjectivity, but it feels like madness to exclude This is America (SOTY and ROTY) and include Lil' Peep. Are we really supposed to believe that a group of music journalists legitimately feel like Lil'Peep's track is better than anything Childish Gambino has ever put out in terms of music, lyrics, and the content of said lyrics.....or are they doing to for contrarian hot takes and clickbait?

To sum it up, I get the subjective nature, but this feels like it is way past some peculiar/unusual tastes and more into "click bait/edgy takes/contrarian" territory. And I do kind of feel like that's what they are doing—because a lot of artists the snubbed on the "best songs" list are on the "best albums" list....such as Gaga. So now social media stans, at least the more over the top ones, will get mad at click and tweet about why some artist was included on one list but snubbed on the other and vice versa....And they put Lemonade at 41, which has made the top or near the top of the other music lists, so they know they are poking the Beyhive.

And at the end of the days, these lists really don't mean anything anyway (unlike reviews/sales/awards) so it's kind of a collective meh.

Chromatislaps
9 hours ago, holy scheisse said:

Her flow is sick on that song IDC bout your opinion lol

it's more the message that is ironic... the song is a bop... but she's basically a visionary as in that she tarnished her own carreer, and this song kinda lays her attitude out already :huntyga:

Lord Temptation

Are these lists a consolation prize for not having real fans? :huntyga:

Thanks for reminding me that these artists even exist, Pitchfork! :lolga:

Pop Music
9 hours ago, PETTY said:

Taylor and Katy are on the list :awkney:

but not in the top 20

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

Archived