Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Pitchfork snubs Lady Gaga on "200 Best Songs of the 2010's" list

petty

Featured Posts

Reginald
58 minutes ago, myluis617 said:

Even solange? 

Yes! This list is really good. Although yes, missing Gaga. I would have chosen The Edge Of Glory, or Shallow. She needs more modern hits though, wow. 

BlackSwan Cat & Mouse

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thomas P
1 hour ago, Gov Hooka said:

It’s a trash list and not just because they snubbed Gaga. Of all the Kendrick songs, no. 1 is alright :awkney: 

As much as I agree it’s not even in his top 10 best songs, it’s by far his most impactful. It’s a riot chant for black protests, it was the song that really invigorated the black lives matter movement, and it was widely awarded at its time. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Lord Temptation
43 minutes ago, CannaeDrive said:

So edgy.

Hipsters, don't ever change.

More like kweens of the fake ass indie clowns.

They’ve always been anti-hipster.

Pitchfork can :fthis: it 

AJRocketMan

Why am I not surprised? Pitchfork has always been like this. It’s Pitchfork. That place is filled with a bunch of pretentious douchebags who think their standard is the holy grail of the music business.

LilyLark
2 hours ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Subjective music opinion i disagree with!??!?!!? :giveup: 

For real though, the only things that could be included are perhaps Shallow, or maybe Born This Way (the title track) so I don't see this as a snub.

Gaga's had many moments in entertainment in the 2010s, mostly culturally,  but musically I would say she fell flat compared to almost everything on this last. 

Sis if you think CupcaKKe deserves to be on the list but not Gaga, Childish Gambino, or Janelle Monae (all snubbed).......

LilyLark

I mean, Pitchfork's always been kind of awful to Gaga (and not just Gaga, but several mainstream artists that they think it's cool to snark on). Remember when they infamously reviewed a cover of Taylor Swift's songs but not Taylor's own albums? I was surprised they gave some of her albums such good reviews when they recently did a recap of her career, because of that situation... They also wrote this weird, patronizing piece on Lizzo that Lizzo was upset with a few months ago.  It was a bit of a shock they gave the ASIB soundtrack a decent review because she's definitely not one of their favs. And I hate saying it, because it sounds "Trumpian," but some music critics/music sites (particularly pitckfork) tend to veer into contrarian takes and let their personal opinion about the artist influence their review....rather than objectively looking at the music.

Anyway, they put CupCakke but not Janelle Monae, Childish Gambino, or Gaga....so it's a weird list.

Ziggy
11 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

I mean, Pitchfork's always been kind of awful to Gaga (and not just Gaga, but several mainstream artists that they think it's cool to snark on). Remember when they infamously reviewed a cover of Taylor Swift's songs but not Taylor's own albums? I was surprised they gave some of her albums such good reviews when they recently did a recap of her career, because of that situation... They also wrote this weird, patronizing piece on Lizzo that Lizzo was upset with a few months ago.  It was a bit of a shock they gave the ASIB soundtrack a decent review because she's definitely not one of their favs. And I hate saying it, because it sounds "Trumpian," but some music critics/music sites (particularly pitckfork) tend to veer into contrarian takes and let their personal opinion about the artist influence their review....rather than objectively looking at the music.

Anyway, they put CupCakke but not Janelle Monae, Childish Gambino, or Gaga....so it's a weird list.

Janelle is in the same tricky boat as Gaga where her best and most Pitchfork-friendly work (ArchAndroid) fell just before the 2010s. I'm a little surprised that Make Me Feel didn't rank above Work, though. I personally find Make Me Feel to be a better song. I like both, and a number of songs on this list, but *best* of the 2010s? Eh seems weird. And also it feels bizarre to make this list when there's still a few months left in 2019, but that's something else entirely.

gumzy3000

I used to love Pitchfork but recently, they have favoured a lot more nuanced and polarizing songs and albums in their best of lists. They are basically saying that popular music does not mean good, unless of course you are hip hop. Pretty disappointing. We do not need some indie hipsters to tell us what the best songs of the 2010s are.

Also, putting Oblivion over Reality is a disgrace to Grimes. Love both songs but the latter is clearly superior. 

trolly troll troll

KingRedd

Gaga with Shallow or Edge of Glory:kiss:

Janelle Monae with Django Jane :firega:

Im not pressed because Gaga is Gaga. This list is random but to each its own I guess. 

May I Read You? 😎

ItsTommyBitch
33 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Sis if you think CupcaKKe deserves to be on the list but not Gaga, Childish Gambino, or Janelle Monae (all snubbed).......

The first part of my post is that its ultimately fruitless to disagree with another individual (or even a collection of individuals)'s taste in music or perception of cultural and musical impact :rip: 

I don't care that Gaga isn't on this list not only because I agree she hasn't released all that much worth considering in the first place (shallow, the edge of glory, born this way that's pretty much all I would consider from her *big* songs of the 2010s in a macro scale), but also because this means nothing for her, her career, her popularity going forward, etc. It doesn't matter.

Furthermore, I expect Janelle and probably Childish Gambino to appear in other lists they put out, singles, album, etc. I mean you only have to look at their own scores they have given the artists on the list to understand.

For example, they gave Cupcakke's Ephorize album an 8.3 and the coveted "Best New Music" spot and gave it a glowing review, so ofc they think  a song from it might be more deserving than Joanne, which got a 6.9, or the ASIB soundtrack which got a 7.4. 

Also, Cupcakke isn't a joke artist, so miss me with the "but cupcakke is on this list!" rhetoric.

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

LilyLark
4 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Janelle is in the same tricky boat as Gaga where her best and most Pitchfork-friendly work (ArchAndroid) fell just before the 2010s. I'm a little surprised that Make Me Feel didn't rank above Work, though. I personally find Make Me Feel to be a better song. I like both, and a number of songs on this list, but *best* of the 2010s? Eh seems weird. And also it feels bizarre to make this list when there's still a few months left in 2019, but that's something else entirely.

The ArchAndroid came out in 2010...as did the track Tightrope. I agree it's more "Pitchfork Friendly," but Dirty Computer had insanely rapturous reviews (outside of Pitchfork) and was treated critically more or less on the same level as ArchAndroid. A lot of critics (right around the time ASIB came out, there were some retrospectives on Gag's career) seem to consider the BTW album her best work..which was released in 2011.

It just seems insanely contrarian to snub them (Tightrope, Make Me Feel, TEOG, You and I, or even  BTW) but to put in songs by  lil' peep, cupcakke and jessica pratt. Not to mention Childish Gambino just won SOTY and ROTY for This is America and he was completely left off the list.

I feel like they wanted to make the list 80% "non big names" and then just couldn't fit enough of the big names in the remaining 20%

LilyLark
1 minute ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

The first part of my post is that its ultimately fruitless to disagree with another individual (or even a collection of individuals)'s taste in music or perception of cultural and musical impact :rip: 

I don't care that Gaga isn't on this list not only because I agree she hasn't released all that much worth considering in the first place (shallow, the edge of glory, born this way that's pretty much all I would consider from her *big* songs of the 2010s in a macro scale), but also because this means nothing for her, her career, her popularity going forward, etc. It doesn't matter.

Furthermore, I expect Janelle and probably Childish Gambino to appear in other lists they put out, singles, album, etc. I mean you only have to look at their own scores they have given the artists on the list to understand.

For example, they gave Cupcakke's Ephorize album an 8.3 and the coveted "Best New Music" spot and gave it a glowing review, so ofc they think  a song from it might be more deserving than Joanne, which got a 6.9, or the ASIB soundtrack which got a 7.4. 

Also, Cupcakke isn't a joke artist, so miss me with the "but cupcakke is on this list!" rhetoric.

They gave Cupcakke a better score than Dirty Computer (which was in the 7s) so that argument doesn't really hold weight....and yeah, Cupcakke absolutely is a joke compared to Janelle, Childish, and Gaga imo.

I agree the list doesn't mean anything and Pitchfork has always been considered contrarian/hit and miss. Plus, it's all subjective any way.... but I'm kind of baffled you think Gaga hasn't done anything of note since 2010 and not a single song of hers belongs on the list...and yet you are on here?

Lord Temptation

Pop gurls on this list:

Grimes, Adele, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Charli XCX, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Cardi B, Lorde, St Vincent, Sophie, Lana del Rey, Solange, FK Twigs, Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber.

Pop gurls not on this list:

Lady Gaga

Pitchfork hates Gaga :fthis:

LilyLark
Just now, Lord Temptation said:

Pop gurls on this list:

Grimes, Adele, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Charli XCX, Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Cardi B, Lorde, St Vincent, Sophie, Lana del Rey, Justin Bieber.

Pop gurls not on this list:

Lady Gaga

Pitchfork hates Gaga

I truly enjoy Katy's music...but if they are talking about "best" (and not just impact) I am still...wut...that she's on the list and Janelle and Gaga didn't make the cut. Are they really going to argue that something like "Firework" is better in terms of music, lyrics, and vocals than "Tightrope" or "Make Me Feel" or "You and I" or "Shallow?" I know it's subjective, but...insanity.  Did Lizzo get snubbed, too? I know they gave Cuz I Love You a fairly poor review, so I wouldn't be shocked.

BleepBloop

I mean quite a few points were made, whether ya'll like it or not lol. But yeah, MTN or TEOG would have deserved to be here

Archived