Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Pitchfork snubs Lady Gaga on "200 Best Songs of the 2010's" list

petty

Featured Posts

BleepBloop
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

obviously whoever wrote this doesn't listen to gaga's music at all, like it's all r&b/hip-hop/alternative songs

Well, whatever helps you sleep at night:ohwell:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ItsTommyBitch
37 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

They gave Cupcakke a better score than Dirty Computer (which was in the 7s) so that argument doesn't really hold weight....and yeah, Cupcakke absolutely is a joke compared to Janelle, Childish, and Gaga imo.

I agree the list doesn't mean anything and Pitchfork has always been considered contrarian/hit and miss. Plus, it's all subjective any way.... but I'm kind of baffled you think Gaga hasn't done anything of note since 2010 and not a single song of hers belongs on the list...and yet you are on here?

There's a few things here:

Pitchfork reviews are a combined effort. Though a single person writes a "review" the score is adjudicated and approved before being published. Thus, sometimes a particularly glowing or damning review might have a score that could seem slightly off from the verbage itself. That being said, 1 Cupcakke album having a better score than those artists albums doesnt mean anything :rip: Again, youre missing my point. They think its a better album and that very subjective number fits TO THEM. I'm not going to walk you down off of this belief that Cupcakke is a joke in comparison to 3 artists you happen to either like or think somewhat highly of. It doesn't really matter because its all subjective... (but I would say its a pretty dismissive PoV, even if you dislike her music :shrug: )

Secondly, I didn't say "of note." I'm taking my own like for Gaga and her music and putting it into the perspective of the entire western-european music industry, because that is what they are evaluating and giving opinions on. While I like a lot of it a LOT, It's not hard for me to imagine that others may have heard all of it, liked it, and STILL thought "It doesnt make the list" at the end of the day, whatever their process might be. It's not a list typed up in an hour that's for sure, but I don't recall the actual process - regardless, its not super rushed as far as I know. I don't think anything on Joanne, ARTPOP, ASIB, or C2C is like objectively great in a way that would put it into consideration alongside tracks like Alright, Your Best American Girl, Oblivion, Cranes in the Sky, etc.

It's not a perfect list, its all subjective therefore it cannot be, but I do agree with a LOT of it, which is more than I can say about some other lists by other publications out there. Not that that means anything, we all literally have different taste :rip: 

Personally, I stan Gaga mostly as a person these days. Her career has become a lot more than just releasing pop albums every few years and that's totally fine for me.
Born This Way is one of my favorite albums of ALL time. I love ARTPOP from top to bottom. But I also know Gaga is a polarizing figure musically, at her peak she was campy and while that IS my taste, I know its not most people's. Certainly not old to middle aged straight white men that write at places that cover music :ladyhaha: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

LilyLark
7 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Pitchfork reviews are a combined effort. Though a single person writes a "review" the score is adjudicated and approved before being published. Thus, sometimes a particularly glowing or damning review might have a score that could seem slightly off from the verbage itself. That being said, 1 Cupcakke album having a better score than those artists albums doesnt mean anything :rip: Again, youre missing my point. They think its a better album and that very subjective number fits TO THEM. I'm not going to walk you down off of this belief that Cupcakke is a joke in comparison to 3 artists you happen to either like or think somewhat highly of. It doesn't really matter because its all subjective... (but I would say its a pretty dismissive PoV, even if you dislike her music :shrug: )

Secondly, I didn't say "of note." I'm taking my own like for Gaga and her music and putting it into the perspective of the entire western-european music industry, because that is what they are evaluating and giving opinions on. While I like a lot of it a LOT, It's not hard for me to imagine that others may have heard all of it, liked it, and STILL thought "It doesnt make the list" at the end of the day, whatever their process might be. It's not a list typed up in an hour that's for sure, but I don't recall the actual process - regardless, its not super rushed as far as I know. I don't think anything on Joanne, ARTPOP, ASIB, or C2C is like objectively great in a way that would put it into consideration alongside tracks like Alright, Your Best American Girl, Oblivion, Cranes in the Sky, etc.

It's not a perfect list, its all subjective therefore it cannot be, but I do agree with a LOT of it, which is more than I can say about some other lists by other publications out there. Not that that means anything, we all literally have different taste :rip: 

Personally, I stan Gaga mostly as a person these days. Her career has become a lot more than just releasing pop albums every few years and that's totally fine for me.
Born This Way is one of my favorite albums of ALL time. I love ARTPOP from top to bottom. But I also know Gaga is a polarizing figure musically, at her peak she was campy and while that IS my taste, I know its not most people's. Certainly not old to middle aged straight white men that write at places that cover music :ladyhaha: 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree lol. I feel like you are saying they (Pitchfork) are being subjective, but are also stating that from an objective viewpoint  you don't think Gag's belongs?  I completely get Cranes in the Sky, etc....but from an objective viewpoint I still can't understand ranking a single track from  Pratt and Lil Peep over Tightrope, TEOG, This is America, etc. And I do agree Gaga is still a bit polarizing (everyone gives her credit for having an amazing voice, but her music is still a bit polarizing even if her scores on metacritic are in the green)..it's just there are other polarizing artists on the list and less polarizing ones left off....

Anyway, it is what it is :)

misunderstood

Pitchfork been trash, we been knew

"I'd rather be poor and happy, than rich and alone"

Wolf Boy

I don’t know why you’re all pressed, they didn’t include her, who cares it’s just one publications opinion.

Inferno
4 hours ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Subjective music opinion i disagree with!??!?!!? :giveup: 

For real though, the only things that could be included are perhaps Shallow, or maybe Born This Way (the title track) so I don't see this as a snub.

Gaga's had many moments in entertainment in the 2010s, mostly culturally,  but musically I would say she fell flat compared to almost everything on this last. 

Sorry but nah.  The Edge of Glory both lyrically and in composition is pure pop craft. So out of a list of 200 tracks from a decades worth of music that includes the likes of Work and Beez in the Trap? You're fooling yourself if you think that her lack of inclusion is anything but a concerted effort. Pitchfork purposely does not include her in things because of hipster bias and industry politics. That's an inarguable fact. It is also not only old to middle aged white men that work for pitchfork. Or any music related publication. At this point there are quite a few millennials and imo when it comes to the type of people that manage to make careers that take them to places like pitchfork, it's not usually the most well rounded, tasteful or objective young people writing for the pop sector.

Andreu

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Xo Tour Lif3. But to say it is among the best songs of the decade is just delusional. Top 20 of the year it came out? definitely. But top 20 of the decade is a no. Same with Work: I love this song so much, probably in my top 15 songs for 2016. But even Rihanna released a lot of better songs this decades. However, both these songs still sound fresh.

I don't want to talk about the songs I don't like on the list

Lord Temptation
1 hour ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Exactly. Gaga is above this list.

1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The hipsters are at it. 

Pitchfork aren’t hipsters. Pitchfork hates, hates hates hipsters.

Where are songs by Sufjan Stevens, The War on Drugs, The Killers, Alabama Shakes, Janelle Monae, Father John Misty or Beck? 

This is a list of imposters by imposters. 

AlexanderMagno

Gaga's best songs were released before 2010 :oops: Bad Romance will always be in a 2000s list.

Anyway, I think at least Do What U Want and Marry the Night are some of the best songs the pop world has produced, so those deserved a spot. Work by Rihanna is in no way better than Marry the Night.

Such a bad list in general.

drunk real housewives GIF by RealityTVGIFs

I understand Pitchfork cater to a more indie listener but even so I can't understand how they came up with this.

Inferno
2 hours ago, Sneaky said:

I mean quite a few points were made, whether ya'll like it or not lol. But yeah, MTN or TEOG would have deserved to be here

No points were made. Gaga bias is irrelevant to the fact that of a list of 200 songs from a decades worth of released music, she's absolutely had at least one or two tracks that should have made the cut. Her lack of inclusion is political.

Archived