💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Unpopular Opinion: Gaga Does Not Have A Very Distinctive Voice

Economy

Featured Posts

C1trus

She has,  that baby voice she does during the fame, c2c, ITA(last part)  and "i got my head stuck in a cycle... " part of MR during jwt. 

Don't forget Gaga's voice at the beginning when she sang the national anthem ("ohh say can you see")

I remembered a vocal coach pointing out that he heard "gaga" the moment she went "nasal/ idk" in the last part of INLA.  

It's just that many iconic gaga songs didn't rely much on this kind of voice. (cough "versatility")

ι'м ρυℓℓιηg үσυя sтяιηgs

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GaGaAst
12 hours ago, Lemondeduerl said:

Ummm... but I've never seen a vocally well done impression of Gaga. Britney, Rihanna, Ariana or Shakira have a unique tone but easy to imitate. But no one can do Gaga's voice. If there is a really good impresonator show me. (Not shade I really haven't seen anyone)

Not exactly impersonate but he did for sure own my second favourite song ever. 

This is the closest someone can reach her level of epicness. 

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

Sepsami

I think it's because her music, voice and style changed so much over the years people just don't know what she sounds like, my mom went to her ARTPOP show with me and still recognizes her voice instantly so 

MelbHawker

I think her voice is very distinct - when she wants it to be. ;) That's the mark of a true artist IMO. Pre Joanne, the masses thought they had her worked out vocally. They knew she could sing, they were used to her pop vocal. Joanne/ASIB came THRU & they all lost their minds over her again because her vocals left them stunned. 

23 hours ago, Economy said:

Dont get me wrong. Im NOT saying she doesnt have an amazing voice. She has great vocal range, good technique and versatility, she can sing just about any genre

However in terms of distinctiveness, I think in that aspect Gaga doesnt really have that category pinned.

Most of the GP cannot instantly recognize a song is from Lady Gaga until they see the name and tbh if I wasnt a big fan i probably wouldnt either.

Even my parents as well as friends who dont listen to a tone of big artists can instantly tell some singers voices like Eminem, Adele, Britney Spears and even Katy Perry but never Gaga

Again how distinct a voice is has nothing to do with how good it is. You can have a distinct easy to recognize voice and still sound like crap 

I think Gaga has a great sounding voice but sounds generic. A top quality and super talented generic mind u but still basic neverthless in terms of uniqueness

Fell free to discuss and disagree but dont kill me for my opinion :sweat:

Heretic! 

jk  :)

I live outside the space time continuum.

Inferno
On 10/6/2019 at 5:51 PM, AJRocketMan said:

She became addicted to cocaine in 2006 for a couple of years. Her friend Brendan Jay Sullivan confirmed this. It explains why she sounds like two different people between Paparazzi and Bad Romance even though she was already an adult when she recorded the former. Stop kidding yourself.

You are literally the most vile, putrid, slanderous shitbag on this platform. Your existence here is purely to be a canker sore and word vomit negative nonsense for the sake of being that voice. You have no objectivity, no fact base or intellectually stimulating point of view. You're a vacuous shill. Report as you will, I'd rather be banned than to have my brain dumbed down by seeing yet another empty hateful comment typed from your **** stained fingers.

Inferno

She has one of the most distinctive voices, especially amongst her peers. It's her ever changing iconography that should be attributed to why people may not "recognize" her instantaneously. And also why they always attribute her to The Fame+Monster era visuals to this day, it was when she was most caught up in creating iconography for people to recognize. By Born This Way she had no obsession with maintaining iconography.

Smother Em Eh

She does and she doesn’t tbh. 

For starters, she has sooooo many tones and her voice is so diverse, so in that regard it would be very hard for people to recognize her. Gaga doesn’t have one voice like the Artists you listed. She can change it up a lot. For example, Paparazzi, Bad Romance and You & I sound like 3 different people! 

Two, she is extremely versatile which allows her to sing any genre. 

Three, she has powerhouse vocals and most people who can sing with a really high range usually have the least distinctive voices. 

Her voice is not generic though. It’s not the most distinctive, but it unique. 

Also I have heard people mimic Britney, Xtina, Katy, Shakiras, Amy Winehouse voices and pull it off well, but really haven’t heard anyone sing like Gaga on Bad Romance, Alejandro etc. 

And Katy’s voice is unique but sometimes she sounds REALLY generic. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

ltlmnstr

After reading every comment, I think OP needs better examples maybe?

Like most modern day pop stars “sing-speak” their songs where as Gaga sings traditionally. 

The Cure would be Gaga “sing-speaking” Just Another Day maybe and Grigio Girls also

I guess OP is talking about accents and affectations?

I’m overall confused lol

giskardsb

part of the issue is that so many current vocalists are "stuck" with one sound because they don't have the capability to do otherwise.  For example, the legion of current pop stars with that kindof airy head voice Alessia Cara thing going on that all sound similar.  They have a "recognizable" sound by default .  Same with say Rihanna.  Rihanna always sounds like Rihanna.  

So while people may have a hard time pinning down Gaga's voice on radio, I still think Gaga is very distinctive, but as fans we have the benefit of experience listening to her various forms and  recognizing the underlying things that still make Gaga sound like Gaga even when she changes tonal color, voice placement, etc.

To me she is very distinctive, and only she could perform this song as brilliantly as she did, using a wide range of techniques in her vocal catalog to give this song it's varied emotional appeal and power as needed.    She is a master of song interpretation, and it's because she uses her voice in such a chameleonic fashion.

I think she has a very distinct voice (brassy, nasal) that sometimes gets more subtle through her flexibility in technique.

3 points in and ready for more

AJRocketMan
14 hours ago, Inferno said:

You are literally the most vile, putrid, slanderous shitbag on this platform. Your existence here is purely to be a canker sore and word vomit negative nonsense for the sake of being that voice. You have no objectivity, no fact base or intellectually stimulating point of view. You're a vacuous shill. Report as you will, I'd rather be banned than to have my brain dumbed down by seeing yet another empty hateful comment typed from your **** stained fingers.

Go kill yourself, you bastard. 🖕🏼

Archived