💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Joker (2019) - Reviews

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Reality

I just came back from watching Joker...

Honestly, this is one of my favorite films this year. The movie is so raw and dark, it's really almost haunting. This movie made me feel so many emotions; it's so complex and so detail-oriented that I could literally spend hours talking about what I think of this film.

First of though, let me start by saying that I think it's a damn shame that this movie (largley) isn't getting the recognition it deserves. At its core, Joker is telling a really compelling and crucial message: be kind and empathic towards others. It's a good message, and it's something that is objectively good, yet so many people are clouded by a lot of the superficial elements of this movie for it to become apart of the mainstream conversation. 

Joaquin Phoenix's acting here is superb. Again, it's almost haunting just how dark and how raw Phoenix portrays this character. Arthur's someone who's been beaten and bruised by the world, and Phoenix lets it known. What I find really fascinating (and this is something I've thought about ever since the movie ended) was just how far Phoenix took this character from start to finish.

At the very beginning of the movie, you felt nothing but pity and sympathy for Arthur. You really wanted nothing more than to hug him and tell him it's going to be fine; however, by the end of this movie, you'll be utterly terrified of him. And that, to me, was probably the most memorable thing about the film. Arthur's journey and descent into utter madness is absolutely horrfying to watch, but I loved every second of it. There is this one scene in particular that just made my heart race so much because I was just so terrified of what he might do next. That's also part of why his transformation becomes so scary. As the movie progresses, Arthur becomes more and more unpredictable, and by the end of the movie, you just don't really know what he'll say or do. 

Again, I could probably go on for hours, but I'll end it here. I really only talked about Joaquin's performance, and that itself could've been elaborated on tenfold. There are still so many things to discuss: Zazie Beetz's character, Arthur's relationship with his mother, Thomas Wayne, the theme of classism, the talk about mental illness, etc., etc, etc. I'll end by saying this though: this is a movie that I believe everyone should see. It's graphic, and at times disturbing, but I think the message behind this movie is so strong and so powerful that it would be such a shame for people not to check it out. 

🖤👹

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Candy Gaga

A good psychological thriller and Joaquin Phoenix performance is amazing but the plot felt messing some events and some parts got boring with no action. Good movie but has some wasted potential overall 50 : 50

Neight Shayde

I give it 4/5 clown noses.

The score was cute but after the first "action" scene it lost me. I feel like we could've gotten the same impact (maybe even more) without the score. There were also a few decisions I wasn't a fan of with regards to how they showed some pieces of the plot.

That being said, this is a really amazing character study/film. In a way, extremely irresponsible and dangerous for the time we live in, but what did we expect? Everybody always complains about two-dimensional enemies in comic book adaptations, but now we have one that actually IS terrible and way too cynical, so in a way the valid negative reaction this film is getting is "praise" for how good it is.

Joker is the Lars Von Trier of comic book films. Joaquin Phoenix ended the best actor conversation just like that. A spine-chilling performance from beginning to end.

holy scheisse

By the end of the movie I was sympathizing with the joker, and saying FCK the waynes:poot:

As a mental health professional, I see this movie as a glimpse into how trauma and mental illness can lead people down dark paths. Joker is at least schizoaffective, his mother was delusional, he experienced trauma after trauma... Interesting approach to a comic book movie.

Nightwing

tumblr_ppe2cympYv1rqsnxoo4_500.gif

This is really the only sequence that left an impression on me. And him dancing in the bathroom afterwards. That was more Joker than anything else in the film, including the end.

Lord Temptation

It was one of the most boring movies I’ve ever seen. There were some moments of tension but overall it was just dull and predictable. Very anticlimactic. The whole is much, much less than the sum of it’s parts. Not gritty. Not even weird. Just distant.

Reality
On 10/7/2019 at 4:19 AM, Lord Temptation said:

It was one of the most boring movies I’ve ever seen. There were some moments of tension but overall it was just dull and predictable. Very anticlimactic. The whole is much, much less than the sum of it’s parts. Not gritty. Not even weird. Just distant.

Film is subjective, so I'll respect your right to feel this way about the film.

That said, I just don't understand how this is a "boring" movie? If you were walking into this movie expecting helicopters blowing up, lasers coming out of people's eyes, and visits from aliens then you were walking into the wrong movie, my friend. 

Maybe some parts of the movie were "predictable", but even then, Arthur himself was a very unpredictable character. You literally had no idea what he was going to say or do until he said/did it. 

I will say that the first half of the movie was much slower, which might be your reasoning for it being "dull", but I think the second half of the movie is objectively much more fast-paced and much more in-line with it being a standard "comic book film".

🖤👹

Monster7

This is the only masterpiece in the superhero films with TDK ever

Truly the Taxi Driver of our days. Direction was good, photography was outstanding and Phoenix was incredible (well he's always incredible)

The academy snubbed him with The Master, I hope he doesn't get snubbed again with this one

Regina George
On 10/4/2019 at 1:52 PM, doppelganger said:

The film is good. It's not amazing. I feel that the script and dialogue could be better , especially after seeing Once Upon A Time In Hollywood which is superior in every way. Joaquin is amazing though, and really made the film. 

It tells an important story about society's failure to care for people with mental illnesses. But that's kind of it. We all know how the story ends, but the film doesn't really unpack the character and his motivation in a complex way

Literally how is that trash of a movie superior to this masterpiece? I’m sorry but this statement is just too... Also how the hell doesn’t it “unpack the character and his motivation”? Did we watch the same movie? 

Lord Temptation
4 hours ago, M Monstre said:

Film is subjective, so I'll respect your right to feel this way about the film.

That said, I just don't understand how this is a "boring" movie? If you were walking into this movie expecting helicopters blowing up, lasers coming out of people's eyes, and visits from aliens then you were walking into the wrong movie, my friend. 

Maybe some parts of the movie were "predictable", but even then, Arthur himself was a very unpredictable character. You literally had no idea what he was going to say or do until he said/did it. 

I will say that the first half of the movie was much slower, which might be your reasoning for it being "dull", but I think the second half of the movie is objectively much more fast-paced and much more in-line with it being a standard "comic book film".

I felt that every single character in the movie, not just Joker, was cold and wearing a mask. Nobody felt real. Almost like the whole thing was one internal monologue of someone doing stand up for himself. Like everyone in the film is so cruel. There was no humanity. The characters felt like just...characters. No sense of humour, no colour. It was still an okay film, but it really suffered by a lack of empathy for the audience. Even the emotional scenes seem forced and manipulative. Nobody in the film listens to anyone. That was the cause of all the drama.

Reality
6 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

I felt that every single character in the movie, not just Joker, was cold and wearing a mask. Nobody felt real. Almost like the whole thing was one internal monologue of someone doing stand up for himself. Like everyone in the film is so cruel. There was no humanity. The characters felt like just...characters. No sense of humour, no colour. It was still an okay film, but it really suffered by a lack of empathy for the audience. Even the emotional scenes seem forced and manipulative. Nobody in the film listens to anyone. That was the cause of all the drama.

Is that not the point of the film?

Firstly, Arthur is an unreliable narrator. Everything in the film is subject to Arthur’s interpretation, and that may mean that the people we meet in the movies aren’t necessarily acting in reality, but in Arthur’s vision of reality. 

Secondly, the point of the film is that people are cruel...they aren’t supposed to have any humanity because if they did, Arthur wouldn’t end up becoming the Joker...

As for the emotional scenes being “forced”, I mean, I suppose that is also a subjective thing, but I found Phoenix’s performance to be completely and utterly compelling. I found it to be the exact opposite of “forced”. A lot of it seemed like how the characters would really act in real life.

🖤👹

Loved the cinematography. The acting of Joaquin was on point.

The pacing of the film was a bit slow — had lots of unnecessary scenes that could’ve been cut out. The climax felt like it could’ve had a little more punch to it. A good film overall. 3.5/5

Lord Temptation
1 hour ago, M Monstre said:

Is that not the point of the film?

Firstly, Arthur is an unreliable narrator. Everything in the film is subject to Arthur’s interpretation, and that may mean that the people we meet in the movies aren’t necessarily acting in reality, but in Arthur’s vision of reality. 

Secondly, the point of the film is that people are cruel...they aren’t supposed to have any humanity because if they did, Arthur wouldn’t end up becoming the Joker...

As for the emotional scenes being “forced”, I mean, I suppose that is also a subjective thing, but I found Phoenix’s performance to be completely and utterly compelling. I found it to be the exact opposite of “forced”. A lot of it seemed like how the characters would really act in real life.

The acting is superb. The film is let down by the story and dialogue. None of it is believable, and that is why myself and many in the packed cinema I was in, were yawning and checking their phone to see the time. The film sucks you in with the hope you may get to witness what goes on in Jokers head, but every time you just get laughed at. The film itself is manipulative. The director sabotaged himself by purposely trying to make a character study piece like the masterpieces Taxi Driver (1976) or Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986). Mission...not accomplished. Actually, even as an imitation the film fails. It and everyone in it was just so dull. 

Regina George
37 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

The acting is superb. The film is let down by the story and dialogue. None of it is believable, and that is why myself and many in the packed cinema I was in, were yawning and checking their phone to see the time. The film sucks you in with the hope you may get to witness what goes on in Jokers head, but every time you just get laughed at. The film itself is manipulative. The director sabotaged himself by purposely trying to make a character study piece like the masterpieces Taxi Driver (1976) or Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986). Mission...not accomplished. Actually, even as an imitation the film fails. It and everyone in it was just so dull. 

Than everyone in your cinema missed the point of this movie. In my cinema the situation was totally different. I usually see people on their phone in cinema but this time everyone was watching and enjoying the movie. The point of the movie is kinda everyone (but Joker himself) being dull. I honestly feel like you’re totally missing the point of this movie. Also what is this talk about not getting to know what’s in his head? The whole movie is about what’s in his head and you literally feel like you’re in his head the whole movie.. You feel like you’re going through his world and his mind the whole movie. I don’t understand where this negative comments come from. 

Archived